Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 PM

14,236 posts, read 4,605,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You know, I have sympathy for your position, but you're making it hard right now. Tons of Wehrmacht soldiers did utterly horrific things to civilians who weren't in the fight.The majority of Serbian Jews were murdered by the Wehrmacht, not SS. Or look at the reprisal actions carried out by, if you insist, front line foot soldiers, on the East Front.

They did wrong. Or the word has lost all meaning.
Or maybe you should not jump into the middle of discussion between T10E and I without reading everything.

We were talking about American cops "following orders" and he brought up Nuremberg trials. I had to point out to him that Nuremberg trials were for high ranking Nazis officials, not the average Wehmacht front line soldiers. If he wanted to use that analogy , then he needs to go after high ranking US and state government officials for issuing out orders/laws, not the average front line cops for doing their job.

And now we end up talking about WW2 history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:24 PM

24,673 posts, read 9,493,949 times
I try not committing crime, resisting arrest, disrespecting officers, loitering or terrorizing my community, and it worked out really well for me as a black man.

I recommend more people try it.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Ironically, the videos to which you refer actually disprove your premise. Given the number of law enforcement personnel in this country and the massive number of daily police-citizen interactions, the fact that there are so few videos showing police malfeasance proves that they're doing a damn good job overall. The relationship can be repaired if the media and internet pundits stop yapping about a systemic "problem" that simply doesn't exist.

The "heroes" of the Thin Blue Line appreciate the licking of the boot, bootlicker.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:00 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,892,093 times
1. Don't allow the police to police themselves. Give that job to the FBI, any police related shooting needs to be investigated by the FBI. No exceptions.

2. Cops arrested and convicted should not get special treatment. Put them in general population. They made a choice to be criminals, let them dwell with criminals.

3. Any and all Police departments need to reflect the community they are in. 90% white cops in a 90% black community? Yeah that will never work.

4.Body cams, all day everyday, no exceptions, including while in the station.

5. No more lying to people or breaking the laws to get people to violate laws too. Narcs gotta go. Do we allow cops to rape women to catch other rapists? Just saying.

It isn't a complete solution but it is a start.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 05-07-2020 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 02:01 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,522,183 times
Our local police run a very strong traffic stop enforcement on our young people. You also see it on NYPD Live.

Our daughter didn't give a turn signal on the way to church one Sunday morning. She didn't have her driver's license on her. The police had a rollback in the church parking lot hauling my car away--very embarrassing. And expensive to get out of storage too.

Then our daughter forgot to show up for traffic court, and they issued a criminal warrant for her arrest. One night she'd ran out of gas, and the sheriff deputy stopped to help her. They hauled her to jail for the warrant. And she was heavily fined when the next court date came up 2 days later.

To make a long story short, our unemployed daughter has been unable to pay her fines, and more warrants were issued. And she was picked up again and again. and more fines piled on top of old fines.

And all for not giving a turn signal on a very quiet Sunday morning. And then the sheriff and the courts complain about not having the jail population 150% what the facility was built for. There's something wrong here.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,679,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Eliminate the unions.
Eliminating the unions.....unrealistic!

Diversifying them.......highly necessary! In NYC, I see the union leadership, holding press conferences, all the time. The lack of diversity I see on the podium, on TV, is so obvious, compared to the diversity of the union's rank and file I see on the street!

Old 05-08-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Eliminating the unions.....unrealistic!

Diversifying them.......highly necessary! In NYC, I see the union leadership, holding press conferences, all the time. The lack of diversity I see on the podium, on TV, is so obvious, compared to the diversity of the union's rank and file I see on the street!
when people think of "union", they think of a powerful union like UAW. Therefore, ALL unions are like UAW including police unions. That is a myth because not all unions are created equal.

My police union does a few things for its members

-negotiates contracts
-assists cops to file grievances for employment purposes instead of cops going straight to DOL
-provides cops with an attorney when they get in trouble (technically, the attorney fee is from union fees that all cops have to pay)

Old 05-08-2020, 04:07 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,679,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
when people think of "union", they think of a powerful union like UAW. Therefore, ALL unions are like UAW including police unions. That is a myth because not all unions are created equal.

My police union does a few things for its members

-negotiates contracts
-assists cops to file grievances for employment purposes instead of cops going straight to DOL
-provides cops with an attorney when they get in trouble (technically, the attorney fee is from union fees that all cops have to pay)
That's the role a union is supposed to play.....protecting its workers.

However, If you have a rank and file which is diverse as the city, itself, but an all-white leadership which doesn't reflect the diversity of not only the city, but its own rank and file, you run into a serious public perception problem. PR is everything! And add to that the defiant, "our rank and file do no wrong" posturing that goes on in those press conferences, and you have a serious public mistrust of officers!

Old 05-08-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
That's the role a union is supposed to play.....protecting its workers.

However, If you have a rank and file which is diverse as the city, itself, but an all-white leadership which doesn't reflect the diversity of not only the city, but its own rank and file, you run into a serious public perception problem. PR is everything! And add to that the defiant, "our rank and file do no wrong" posturing that goes on in those press conferences, and you have a serious public mistrust of officers!
I can't speak for other unions, but i am a member of a very large union representing 150,000 members. The top leaders of the union are all elected (not appointed) by the members.

So i don't know how do you plan to diversify that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies