Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:09 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
A few outspoken european trolls don’t represent all of Europe

Europe has their own issues dealing with this wuhan virus pandemic just like everyone else
I agree with this 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 09:11 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Multiple countries are handling it much better than the US, even though they have the intrinsic disadvantage of higher densities and much higher use of mass transit.
Multiple countries are having better luck dealing with the virus than some places in the US, there doesn't seem to be one magic formulae (e.g. Belgium vs Germany). Then again, the vast majority of the US is doing just fine as well.

To the OP, remember that TDS knows no boundaries.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 AM

I have family members who are Germans. They don't laugh at the U.S. (how we handle the crisis, and coronavirus COVID-19 death toll) because they are not mean spirited. They do call me a lot because they worry about me.

This said, occasionally, one aunt of mine casually made fun of President Trump, that's it. Trump, however is not a normal part of her conversation. She has her own problems to deal with.

I have a friend who is an Irish man living in Connecticut. He has said since he's an European, reasonable is his middle name; He also said people with big guns have smaller you know what, and America is a country with no culture. He has a job here in the United States and he has dual citizenship. Does he love America? I think he does, but I do believe he thinks Europeans in general are better than Americans. He is not going back to Ireland, so nobody really takes him (his superiority complex) very seriously.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Let me be clear, I don't know if it is widespread in Europe or even happening in Europe. I have frequently seen Americans (all liberals) claim that they know people in Europe or have seen people in Europe laughing at how inept the US is. I've seen it on this message board, elsewhere, and even in my texts.

And this is political, even in Europe. Otherwise you wouldn't see the EU apologizing to Italy, Germany challenging the legality of emergency money, Britain and France playing games with PPE, etc.
I have got news for you, since you mentioned Germany and police brutality. I guess you're not paying
attention to the cops in the US? There have been several incidents of violence, one example of the man who was yanked off the bus very violently by the cops and his cell phone was intentionally thrown so that it smashed. All because he wasn't wearing a mask, no law was passed that he had to, and the cops who roughed him up weren't wearing one, this I believe in PA.

The police in other states have gotten rough on the protesters who were exercising their right to protest.

Here in CA several who were demonstrating on various beaches were arrested. Oh and those cops had no masks on either. This was handled very poorly by the US, it has also been blown way out of proportion. The hospitals are full, thousands of healthcare workers here in CA including doctors have been laid off. Newsom the governor of CA overplayed his hand when he was going to close the beaches, People didn't crowd them, and salt sea air and sunshine are the best thing for a respiratory infection.

I myself last week here in LA saw an LAPD officer walk into a store and again no mask. I guess the rules, they're certainly not a law don't apply to them.

There are some people in this country who know about constitutional rights, and they're both liberal and conservative or somewhere in the middle. But than you have the many morons who want everyone locked up who does anything they think is wrong, or told is wrong without questioning it. That's how it's done or has been done in place like Cuba, China, Russia at one time, and Germany in the 30s.

I was born here but my late mother was from Ireland, I have extensive family over there and go often. Have spoken to them, no one finds the virus funny. Ireland quickly went into lockdown mode, and is strict about it, it's has a population of around 5 million, and around 1,300 people have died, but many like here were quite ill or elderly, Granted it is a much smaller country about the size of Illinois. There was an article in the Irish Times which said for the first time ever some of the Irish people now pity America. There are many countries in Europe who do wonder about all the craziness here, and not just about the virus.

This has become a very hateful and divided country, and it started long before Trump got in the WH. It used to be people would agree to disagree, now you have to make situation worse by finding more to fight about. And liberals are just as bad. Extreme right wing and extreme left wing is called fascism. and that is what you see, no tolerance for another's point of view and wants it to be silenced.

The comments you see here on CD and other boards, wishing death to people they don't even know,
not even researching the facts about the virus, that 98% recover, that hospitals were not overwhelmed
the way it was portrayed.

Another example is when CA for the last couple of years had the fires, the hatred you would see online from the extreme right wishing the whole state would burn, really? Again wishing on people you don't know death, on children. When TX was having massive flooding than the ones on the extreme left did the same, again vile and disgusting....because everyone in those states must have a different political view than theirs, so they deserve to just die. First off it's not true, second even if it was unless someone has done something really horrific to you or your family, to wish death and destruction on strangers, well that's how the Manson family operated.

Now we're seeing stories like the security guard murdered in Michigan for denying a family into a store because they weren't wearing masks, the four young men in AZ who went out looking to kill homeless people and used a pellet gun,killed one woman and seriously injured a young boy. The morons driving way over the speed limit now that the roads are pretty empty, over a 100 miles an hour on highways, America society has been in decline, Many of us see it, now with something like this who knows how it will go.

Honestly yes, there are times Europe has not so much laughed at America, but shakes their heads in disbelief and the things that happen here, after Katrina some of my family called and asked "what the hell
is going on over there, the people and how they were treated, it looks like a 3rd world country".

I would be more concerned about the damage done to the US economy, we are going into a depression, worry about those who got laid off and haven't gotten their first unemployment check a month after applying, those who can't get through or the online system crashed, This has happened here in CA and in other states. Be concerned how farmers are being forced by FEMA due saying it is unsafe for inspectors to come out and expect(which is BS) about how now the American public is being told there will be food shortages. With all the restaurants closed, majority aren't doing takeout their demand for beef went down.

You want to get angry? Get angry about the state of this country, how the economy due to massive debt, lack of manufacturing really anything anymore, service industry jobs more than any others, neither party really putting the American people first, this virus which is real but it was used to place the blame on how the US economy was in big trouble and we have kicked the can down the road over the last few adminstrations, but the virus is going to be the scapegoat used for the damage done, lives ruined mostly middle class and poor, but everyon in one or another is impacted.

Get angry about that. I don't they're laughing but when the see so many Americans turning on one another, and this was going on even before this virus, People being evicted(it is happening), can't get unemployment, they shake their heads about America the so called greatest nation and wonder what has gone wrong over there, and this feeling isn't just about this virus, or Donald Trump, it's been that way for awhile.

And a lot of Americans feel the same way. Awhile back a friend of my said who is also disenchanted with America said about a year ago as to how we got to this point " this is the end result of having had narcissistic sociopaths running the country the last 20 years or so, couldn't agree more. Add in a public who are so wrapped up in themselves, don't think or question anything, and don't even know their own rights(now I know this is not all Americans) but many are uniformed.

I have had a feeling and I know plenty of other people who have felt this way for the last few years(and even before) Trump that this country would implode on itself, and look what is happening. The division politically, race(race relations were better in the 60s than now), the media who are now allowed tp report propaganda and misinformation and they thrive on fear, because fear creates more control. In 2012 the Smith Mundt act was revamped, now allowing the use of propaganda to be passed off as news. That is why we here now the term "fake news".

America has fallen, so other nations due wonder what happened.

I can honestly say I don't feel so great about this country, while there are many good people here. The lack of civility today, self absorbed behavior, and just the level of ignorance is astounding. When Puerto Rico got hit with that hurricane in 2017, the majority of Americans didn't even know Puerto Rico was part of the US, and that Puerto Ricans were US citizens.

Instead of getting bent out of shape over this, concern yourself with your own county, and your own state, if you live in Michigan you got a real winner there as Governor, makes are in CA(who is now backing down as he pushed people too far) pale in comparison to yours.

Worry about your own backyard, we have a lot to worry about in this country. Civil unrest the likes of which we have never seen might be next...than Europe will really be talking.

Sorry for the long post, but caring so much about what other countries think isn't something that should even be on anyone's mind, it's the least of our problems.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:48 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have family members who are Germans. They don't laugh at the U.S. (how we handle the crisis, and coronavirus COVID-19 death toll) because they are not mean spirited.

This said, occasionally, one aunt of mine occasionally made fun of President Trump, that's it. Trump, however is not a normal part of her conversation. She has her own problems to deal with.

I have a friend who is an Irish man living in Connecticut. He has said since he's an European, reasonable is his middle name; He also said people with big guns have smaller you know what, and America is a country with no culture. He has a job here in the United States and he has dual citizenship. Does he love American? I think he does, but I do believe he thinks Europeans in general are better than Americans. He is not going back to Ireland, so nobody really takes him very seriously.
I don't think the OP means literally laughing, but in some ways the US is the laughing stock of the developed world with our 40 years of trickle-down gutting our economy, our climate and our society as a whole. Our failures in healthcare, education, crime and incarceration, poverty and workers rights come to mind as complete failures on our part as the plutocracy enriches itself at the expense of our failing society.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:53 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Multiple countries are having better luck dealing with the virus than some places in the US, there doesn't seem to be one magic formulae (e.g. Belgium vs Germany). Then again, the vast majority of the US is doing just fine as well.

To the OP, remember that TDS knows no boundaries.
I responded to a poster who stated "Most European countries have a death rate twice ours". That statement is completely false.

As I said, if the discussion is about countries, you don't split them in pieces and regions. It would be like subtracting Lombardy in the case of Italy

Old 05-06-2020, 10:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have family members who are Germans. They don't laugh at the U.S. (how we handle the crisis, and coronavirus COVID-19 death toll) because they are not mean spirited. They do call me a lot because they worry about me.

This said, occasionally, one aunt of mine occasionally made fun of President Trump, that's it. Trump, however is not a normal part of her conversation. She has her own problems to deal with.

I have a friend who is an Irish man living in Connecticut. He has said since he's an European, reasonable is his middle name; He also said people with big guns have smaller you know what, and America is a country with no culture. He has a job here in the United States and he has dual citizenship. Does he love American? I think he does, but I do believe he thinks Europeans in general are better than Americans. He is not going back to Ireland, so nobody really takes him very seriously.
I agree they don't laugh. Now I don't know your friend but I can tell you that he may be speaking about how in Ireland and in other European countries people do seem much happier, you can't help but notice it, they laugh more in public, aren't so rushed like so many Americans and don't sweat the small stuff.

I know of several Irish people who have in fact gone back to Ireland here in CA. The main complaint Irish people will give you about Ireland is the weather, it does rain there similar to the PNW. Job wise it is booming(well before this), Google, Facebook, Microsoft to name a few all have large headquarters there.

I have to say I agree about the Europeans maybe not being bettered, but better manners, less self absorbed, and enjoy life more. I spent 2 months of 2019 in Ireland and Northern Ireland to visit family and friends. I have been going over there for many years. Happened to run into a couple who were on my flight a few days prior from LA. An older couple who had big grins and their faces and couldn't get over and friendly and well mannered the people were, and this was in Dublin, I said well if you think they're friendly here wait till you get into the less populated areas.

I can say the same thing about Scotland, while I was in Edinburgh one of the residents asked me "some people think people in Edinburgh are rude", I laughed and said if this is considered rude I am afraid to know what friendly is.

Again I don't know your friend but he could be referring to manners, not being so serious, and a lack of a sense of humor, not getting so easily offended, and enjoying life more...than I agree with that.

And you may find he will go back to Ireland once the travel ban is lifted. I myself have thought of making the move, this current scenario and how it is being handled and used to control people in the US, is another reason to look at leaving.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:07 AM

I have lived in Europe, To me (me being the key word here, I only speak for myself, NOT anybody else. So please tolerate my own bias and limitation of my experiences. Thank you)

The United States is superior in the following ways:

1. The US is a land of infinite possibilities. Space (land, buildings, etc.) is hugely cheaper than Europe. Taking risk is much easier in the US. Recovering from loss is much easier in the US. Freedom to do things is generally broader in the US. The US drips with great jobs all over. You can get the job you want in the US. America is also a great country for people who want second chance, that is why this is a number one destination for immigrants. (both good and bad for our country as a whole)

2. The US has a strong emphasis on customer service. Europe simply does not.

3. The US is much quicker to try new things and new technologies, so people who love innovation and gizmos are generally more happy there.

etc.

Europe is superior in the following ways:

1. Europe has very low tolerance for the unthinking and boorish. The US cultivates and sells to them.

2.Europe has distributed culture. There are great museums, music and ideas all over.

3. Europe takes better care of its weak and poor.

4. Europe is obsessed with quality, which is a good thing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, boy, I hope I don't just open another can of worms, I really don't want to argue, and hope I didn't offend anybody. I am scared , too you know to say anything in a thread like this.

This said, I personally will always choose America for myself because I love the big house, America is a country of many possibilities and chances, I love the beach, and no, I am not a fan of public transportation. I also think people with a fair amount of money will have much better and happier life in America, so I choose the U.S.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree they don't laugh. Now I don't know your friend but I can tell you that he may be speaking about how in Ireland and in other European countries people do seem much happier, you can't help but notice it, they laugh more in public, aren't so rushed like so many Americans and don't sweat the small stuff.

I know of several Irish people who have in fact gone back to Ireland here in CA. The main complaint Irish people will give you about Ireland is the weather, it does rain there similar to the PNW. Job wise it is booming(well before this), Google, Facebook, Microsoft to name a few all have large headquarters there.

I have to say I agree about the Europeans maybe not being bettered, but better manners, less self absorbed, and enjoy life more. I spent 2 months of 2019 in Ireland and Northern Ireland to visit family and friends. I have been going over there for many years. Happened to run into a couple who were on my flight a few days prior from LA. An older couple who had big grins and their faces and couldn't get over and friendly and well mannered the people were, and this was in Dublin, I said well if you think they're friendly here wait till you get into the less populated areas.

I can say the same thing about Scotland, while I was in Edinburgh one of the residents asked me "some people think people in Edinburgh are rude", I laughed and said if this is considered rude I am afraid to know what friendly is.

Again I don't know your friend but he could be referring to manners, not being so serious, and a lack of a sense of humor, not getting so easily offended, and enjoying life more...than I agree with that.

And you may find he will go back to Ireland once the travel ban is lifted. I myself have thought of making the move, this current scenario and how it is being handled and used to control people in the US, is another reason to look at leaving.
I found your post very true and reasonable.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 AM

586 posts, read 314,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I've seen it posted on here, elsewhere and my own friends have shared with me how everybody in Europe is making fun of how inept the US is with Covid-19.

Since when did anyone give a rat about what some Eurotrash think about anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies