Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
15 states now investigating child illness possibly linked to coronavirus. I have been looking at this. The 2nd wave ? One thing is us get sick. But if god forbid starts with the kids. I am praying not-
The second wave is coming because states are opening up too soon. Let's just keep our kids safe. That's what I pray for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
OP, while I agree with you in principle, in practice things are much more complicated. Firing teachers means that would be a pain of a process to fill the ranks when schools eventually did reopen; applications and screenings (even for old teachers who were trying to get their jobs back, you'd have to do this as they could have been up to no good during the period they were not employed, which would make them not suitable to teach children) and then many of the old teachers may have found other work, which would lead to a teacher shortage.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:40 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
OP, while I agree with you in principle, in practice things are much more complicated. Firing teachers means that would be a pain of a process to fill the ranks when schools eventually did reopen; applications and screenings (even for old teachers who were trying to get their jobs back, you'd have to do this as they could have been up to no good during the period they were not employed, which would make them not suitable to teach children) and then many of the old teachers may have found other work, which would lead to a teacher shortage.
If we're not going to fire the teachers who aren't teaching, then they need to be put to work doing other things. They can remove trash, clean parks, have highway detail, process unemployment claims, I don't really care what they do. But I am tired of teachers advocating for endless shutdowns over a flu bug just because they don't want to work.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Have you not been paying attention to your nightly news. Kids are definitely being affected. Some have even died. Schools won't be closed. They will be online. Actually nothing has been decided in my state. No that is not ideal but we can't risk our children. You have Facebook and Google letting their employees telecommute from home the rest of the year but you're willing to send your kids to schools. Why?
Not to downplay the issue (and one death is one death too many), but very few (it may have even been single digits) children have died from covid in this country.

That said, I don't know where I stand on schools reopening in the Fall at this point. A lot will depend on the picture on the ground.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
If we're not going to fire the teachers who aren't teaching, then they need to be put to work doing other things. They can remove trash, clean parks, have highway detail, process unemployment claims, I don't really care what they do. But I am tired of teachers advocating for endless shutdowns over a flu bug just because they don't want to work.
I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Not to downplay the issue (and one death is one death too many), but very few (it may have even been single digits) children have died from covid in this country.

That said, I don't know where I stand on schools reopening in the Fall at this point. A lot will depend on the picture on the ground.
The picture on the ground will be no different from what it is now. We are 4 months into this virus and the numbers just keep going up.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLane View Post
It's not a flu bug. It has a 6% mortality rate and that's way higher than the flu. Schools cannot afford to gamble and put kids lives at risk the way you do. Seems we have not learned anyting from the Spanish Flu 1918 with that attitude. It's not that they don't want to work teachers have to be first and foremost concerned with the safety of their students. Doubtful that teachers want to responsible for kids getting sick. That's just too irresponsible. Because many of the kids are getting very sick from this. If we can prevent people from getting sick and we can easily do online learning why not? The internet is not a new thing nor is it a foreign concept.
6%? Is that what the teachers unions are claiming these days? Try 0.5% with a mortality raise for those under 18 at statistically zero. Teachers can wear the masks they love so much and they’ll be fine.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The picture on the ground will be no different from what it is now. We are 4 months into this virus and the numbers just keep going up.
The numbers going up at the present isn't necessarily a problem. More important is the rate that the numbers going up and whether have we seen some leveling off

I'm trying to find national and state-by-state numbers in that regard of growth in cases currently.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:02 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
What happens if you have a room full of asymptomatic kids? Are teachers magically immune from catching the virus? Are parents immune from their children? The Democrats are correct in claiming that we might not have school in the fall. And I bet those blue state districts will be far more prepared in that scenario.
Lol, how do you figure those blue states would be so prepared? Blue states better damn well be the only states doing this, but I doubt even they will be once it becomes apparent that they can’t survive either. Once government workers start getting furloughed this will finally end. If they keep getting paid while forcing everyone to stay home there will be pitchforks or people are going to rediscover tar and feathering. This cannot last too much longer.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The numbers going up at the present isn't necessarily a problem. More important is the rate that the numbers going up and whether have we seen some leveling off
We will have a second wave because of opening up too soon. This virus is not going away. But we need to limit it so our hospitals aren't overloaded with cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies