Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The full story of how they suspended his license is very shady in how the governor worked these things.

I admit a month ago I would have had a different opinion, but nowadays enough is enough time to start opening up stores and businesses.

By the way I myself got a haircut recently. The smart people know how to work the system and get what they want despite all these coronavirus orders and restrictions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/had-no-in...173000322.html
Quote:
A Michigan barber who opened his shop in defiance of the governor's coronavirus shutdown orders has had his licenses suspended by the state.

But the barber, Karl Manke, told NBC News on Thursday that he has received no notice from officials about the suspension and has no plans to close his shop in Owosso, about 37 miles northeast of Lansing, the capital.

"If we wait until we're absolutely perfectly safe, we'll never have the freedoms that we had," he said.
Why in the world does someone need a license to cut hair. THAT is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 04:40 PM

23,984 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So this guy has been a barber shop owner for 55 YEARS and he has no other source of Income?
No Savings from his business or Social Security either or Stimulus check?
Something doesn't sound right here.
I thought so, too. But fellow posters said it was none of my business how he lived, so sorry he has to work and zi am a dumber than dirt.

It makes absolutely no sense. Nowhere does anybody address that he leases space to a manicurist and a masseuse. Since his FB page indicates it is also a beauty shop, how may chairs does he have?

He's either scamming or pizz poor manager.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I thought so, too. But fellow posters said it was none of my business how he lived, so sorry he has to work and zi am a dumber than dirt.

It makes absolutely no sense. Nowhere does anybody address that he leases space to a manicurist and a masseuse. Since his FB page indicates it is also a beauty shop, how may chairs does he have?

It's sad no matter what - 77 and HAVING t work to live.

Geez.....

Old 05-20-2020, 05:22 PM

23,984 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's sad no matter what - 77 and HAVING t work to live.

Geez.....
All we know is what he said. That was right before the go fund me pages set up by his helpers. He currently has $82,000.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 AM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

No. They make an income but a modest one. Basically what they live on. Why doesn't Governor Whitless cut off her income by suspending her salary while she's making everyone else do without? Why is she campaigning for VP on the public purse?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What chutzpah! He wants to work. In Whitmer's paradise he shouldn't have to. Or be able to.
Apparently, the lockdown craze and the various climate accords have the same goal; to turn us into a sad, government controlled system where we do as others tell us. Everyone wearing the same masks, no human expression.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why in the world does someone need a license to cut hair. THAT is the problem.
As you will see, licensing laws can be abused.

Virtually all states do have barber's licenses. I guess that's OK for sanitary reasons. Obviously it's a problem when it's used to cudgel obedience to other (misguided) policies. I am a lawyer and have a law license. I will admit I am careful even about certain driving offenses. Especially if passing a stopped school bus could earn one a trip to a grievance committee.

Even you remember Spiro Agnew caught flack, in October or November 1970, when attacking the news media, for mentioning their regulated and legally privileged status. While Agnew and the media richly deserved each other, threatening regulatory consequences for their views went above and beyond propriety.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:01 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
The irony is, the 77 year old was a member of the very group the lockdowns were supposed to protect - the elderly and medically high-risk.

Clearly, SS payments have not kept up with the cost of living. When can we have bi-partisan agreement on that fact?

Old 02-06-2022, 06:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Apparently, the lockdown craze and the various climate accords have the same goal; to turn us into a sad, government controlled system where we do as others tell us. Everyone wearing the same masks, no human expression.

Climate accords? Human expression? There is no mask mandate in Michigan.

This thread is almost 2 years old and you revive it for an off topic rant?

Are you feeling OK?

Old 02-06-2022, 07:35 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The irony is, the 77 year old was a member of the very group the lockdowns were supposed to protect - the elderly and medically high-risk.

Clearly, SS payments have not kept up with the cost of living. When can we have bi-partisan agreement on that fact?
SS was basically insurance against starving.
Of course it hasn't kept up with anything it was an unsustainable glorified ponzi scheme from the start. It started at 1 percent and people who never paid a dime into it were able to collect. Now we're at 12.4 percent. Anybody with half a brain would be far better off investing that 12.4 percent than giving it to the gov't to get some pathetic return on the money if they live long enough.

There's a pizzeria in my neighborhood that NEVER closed in 2020 not even for one day. There is a strip of probably 100 stores and all but 3 closed for at least a few months-the other 2 were small grocery stores. Even when he couldn't have people inside he served pizza through the window. The other day someone came in when I was there and asked if he needed to see their vax card(absurd NYC mandate.) He laughed at said "my friend I never closed this store for even one day in 2020 why would I care about your card now?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies