Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,414,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sanders, Pelosi, Biden, Trump, Pence, etc. don't work.

Unless you call "armed robber" an occupation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 10:31 AM

29,588 posts, read 14,725,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm sad that at 77 he has to work, but apparently he does and I agree with his position.
My uncle worked as a barber and shut his business down and finally retired when he turned 90. He could have retired in his 50's , but loved what he did.

The Freedom Barber Shop in East Detroit , MI. He was such a character, I always have great memories of him. He died at the age of 99.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 AM

32,835 posts, read 19,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sanders, Pelosi, Biden, Trump, Pence, etc. don't work.

Unless you call "armed robber" an occupation.
the point is that that poster (crone) said that at 77, the barber should be "not working" aka retired...yet

pelosi is 79ish
Napolitano 82
Waters 80
Biden 77 (will be 78 in Nov)
Sanders is 78 (will be 79 in sept)
Pat Leahy 86 (87 in June)
Hoyer 81
Don Young 87

and they are still working....they think that they have to work to be useful, which in Crones very words is "is not very creative"

Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 AM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I can't believe the ignorance on this board - talk about dictators!

Who is to say what kind of retirement this guy was able to save or how much SS would have paid him? We're not walking in his shoes. We have no idea the amt of medical bills they may be paying. Add to that a lot of people in that age bracket grew up with nothing like my father and would not accept any sort of gov't assistance because they have pride and feel it should go to those less fortunate.

For whatever reason the guy wants to work as did the barber in NY and with proper protocols - there shouldn't be a problem. My hairdresser is 75 and plans to continue working until she dies. Neither you nor I have any right to tell them they can't.

I have a better chance catching Covid at the grocery store with people not maintaining social distancing and touching everything than I do getting a haircut - holding my mask over my face while they trim the sides and only allow 1 customer in at a time per beauticiam while maintaining social distancing. Everyone at one time is going to have Covid - like it or not and I daresay 1/2 of you have already been exposed to it and thought you had a slight cold or were asymptomatic.
When you get a haircut does the barber cover his nose and mouth? This guy did not. He has a mask on, his nose is not covered.

Does society have a right to protect themselves from criminals?

Why should he get a pass and the rest of the barbers who are law abiding do not?

I know plenty of retired people who manage just fine on nothing but the minimum social security. It is called living on one's means.

So this guy needed income when he qualified for social security and medicare should get a pass?

Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,081 times
Poor guy. I'm sure the governor will call him a racist bigot or something for wanting to stay open.

Goes to show that this whole lockdown thing is just about power, that's it.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the point is that that poster (crone) said that at 77, the barber should be "not working" aka retired...yet

pelosi is 79ish
Napolitano 82
Waters 80
Biden 77 (will be 78 in Nov)
Sanders is 78 (will be 79 in sept)
Pat Leahy 86 (87 in June)
Hoyer 81
Don Young 87

and they are still working....they think that they have to work to be useful, which in Crones very words is "is not very creative"
I did not say he should be retired. I said he could be retired instead of breaking the law.

If he did not have the needed income, he could be drawing his social security.

And most all self employed people pay into it the qualifying quarters to get the most when they retire. I know people who put their wives on the payroll just to get them social security.

DH worked until he was 80. But fulfillment does not have to come from occupation. It can come from many places.

Most of us do not define ourselves by what we do for a living.

Why is this form of law/rule breaking different from other forms like politicians insider trading? Or Martha Stewart? She went to jail.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM

11,876 posts, read 5,847,794 times
[quote=crone;58118319]When you get a haircut does the barber cover his nose and mouth? This guy did not. He has a mask on, his nose is not covered.

Does society have a right to protect themselves from criminals?

Why should he get a pass and the rest of the barbers who are law abiding do not?

I know plenty of retired people who manage just fine on nothing but the minimum social security. It is called living on one's means.

So this guy needed income when he qualified for social security and medicare should get a pass?[/QUOTE
Sorry crone but you are living in an alternate world. The man is not a criminal - I don't know if he was wearing a mask or not but his customers had the choice not only to not have him cut their hair but to use their own masks to protect themselves. It's call personal responsibility.

Just because you know plenty of elderly that exist on SS does not mean you know this person nor their situation. Was it last year that a husband shot his wife and then killed himself over the amt of medical bills they had to pay. When you walk in his shoes - then and only then - can you offer an opinion and even then it is only your opinion.

I know elderly that live on next to nothing and why I continually shop and donate items to the seniors who live in HUD housing - but I don't know this gentleman's circumstances so I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What an insanely rude and small minded post.

As another posters said what about all the dumh****s politicians in office that are around the same age. What about that old bat RGB, she's falling asleep at the wheel.

Jeez
They are not working for money. There's a big difference.

The barber said he had to work because he needed the money to pay bills.

He will parlay this into a $250,000 go fund me from Trump supporters.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:43 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,600,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My uncle worked as a barber and shut his business down and finally retired when he turned 90. He could have retired in his 50's , but loved what he did.

The Freedom Barber Shop in East Detroit , MI. He was such a character, I always have great memories of him. He died at the age of 99.
This guy stated he needed the money. 'bills are piling up'. If people want to workuntil they are 90, that is fine, I was saying to me it's sad if people HAVE TO.

There is a man at the corner store in his late 70's. I feel bad he has to be there, making not much more than minimum wage.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:46 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,600,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We are talking about a 77 year old man who owns a business.

I have no sympathy or empathy for willfully ignorant people.

I'd bet the rent money this barber owns the building he is in. He could take out a mortgage. He could borrow on his IRA, etc.no penalty for 3 years.

He could file to get his Social Security which is pretty substantial if he waited until after he was 70. Had he paid the most he could his ss would be close to 45,000. If he were married, his wife will be getting half of that. Any 77 yo couple should be able to get by on $65000 a year.

There are ways to get money without going against rules designed to protect anybody you come in contact with who could be a carrier or a potential victim of this Covid 19.
He gives $15 haircuts. $15 in 2020. That isn't big money. No idea why you assume he owns the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies