Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 08:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,267,941 times

Advertisements

Watched Waco. Pretty good. I thought they made Koresh look sympathetic. I don’t think he was evil by any means.

The Ruby Ridge situation is something that I was surprised they added into the story, but it did offer some needed context.

All that aside, I don’t have much of an opinion on Koresh or Weaver. A standoff against Federal law enforcement is gonna go bad 9 outta 10 times.

I’ll just reiterate what folks like to say to us all the time in these cases: Comply or Die!

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 PM

57,408 posts, read 26,339,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I have high expectations of our Federal police agencies, of which there are far too many. Ruby Ridge? hen Waco? Talk about acting the jack booted storm trooper stereo type.

here were children involved. Imagine if China did the exact same thing? Would we be so forgiving? I won't mention Israel because they do crap like this fairly often and we shield them every time.

I expect a level of professionalism. They are well paid, well funded and are provided the best tools money can buy to do their jobs.

We treat illegals better than we treated those children in that compound.
Once Koresh refused to surrender what should they have done, what would you have done after this lasted months. I don’t agree with all the government actions but I wonder if would have been a good ending. Even his lawyers worked out an arrangement but he relented.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:10 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,361,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
David Koresh was a PEDOPHILE and a murderer. He got what he deserved.
Who did he murder?

Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,578,589 times
Quote:
Koresh never murdered anyone-though he was a pedo. Now, perhaps he deserved what he got for that, I don't have an issue with a pedophile going up in flames. But did the 79 (IIRC) other people, including 25 children, deserve to die at the hands of the incompetence of the ATF?

Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,680,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Watched Waco. Pretty good. I thought they made Koresh look sympathetic. I don’t think he was evil by any means.
]

What a shock coming from you.

That POS should have been in jail in the first place, and he should have died saving his family instead of taking the easy way out. I forgot all about the details of Waco but I was pretty mad that that POS wasn't saving his family. Typical Christian BS.

But yes, very good show. I would pay money to watch Michael Shannon recite the alphabet.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:51 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,563,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Who did he murder?
His followers by not complying with the federal authorities

Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,058,031 times
Quote:
A pedophile, yes.
A murderer, no.

The ATF fired first, backing the cult members into a corner.
The FBI surrounded their compound with snipers, tanks, and engaged in psychological warfare against the cult, not caring at all that there were women & children inside.

Snipers randomly picked off unarmed Davidians during the entire standoff.
One of the Branch Davidian children was shot by a sniper from a FBI helicopter as he was on the roof of the compound. Many of these instances were not mentioned in the Waco series on Netflix.

Cults are weird, but that doesn't give anyone the right to wantonly murder them, like the ATF and FBI did.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,578,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
A pedophile, yes.
A murderer, no.

The ATF fired first, backing the cult members into a corner.
The FBI surrounded their compound with snipers, tanks, and engaged in psychological warfare against the cult, not caring at all that there were women & children inside.

Snipers randomly picked off unarmed Davidians during the entire standoff.
One of the Branch Davidian children was shot by a sniper from a FBI helicopter as he was on the roof of the compound. Many of these instances were not mentioned in the Waco series on Netflix.

Cults are weird, but that doesn't give anyone the right to wantonly murder them, like the ATF and FBI did.
The video kind of sugar-coated it. They showed ONE person killed by gunfire that came through the roof from helicopters, there were LOTS of rounds fired blindly from choppers. They never showed the FLIR video of automatic weapons fire into the compound as people were being burned alive.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,361,764 times
Quote:
His followers by not complying with the federal authorities
Those federal authorities were the murderers. Koresh didn't initiate the violence that occurred. If ANYONE, government included, aggresses against you, you have the right to defend yourself.

Bob: Hey Steve, lick my boots or say goodbye to your family.
Steve: No, get lost.
*Bob shoots everyone*
Bob: Wow, I can't believe Steve would murder his entire family like that.
Neighbors: Bob might have gone a little far, but Steve didn't lick the boots so...that's what you get.

Obedience to authority is no virtue, but that's what people are trained to believe from the time they're toddlers. Sad.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:07 PM

2,988 posts, read 3,544,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I am watching "The Handmaid's Tale", which is a vision of conservative paradise in the future.
It's simply a load of crap from radical lefties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies