Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is There Any Point in Being Tested for COVID-19?
Yes. 17 34.00%
No. 10 20.00%
It depends on the circumstances. 23 46.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Maybe my question sounds crazy, but hear me out. States are opening up despite doctors advising against it. Many of these states are not requiring face masks. Most patients don't have symptoms when they get the virus and you can get the virus immediately after testing negative anyway. If you have to go back to work no matter what, what difference does it make? The states don't seem to care if you have the disease or not. Plus there's the "herd immunity" idea which implies they want everyone to get the virus and get the process over with quickly. My wife, friend, and I were tested and they never even called us back with the results! Why be tested if we don't know whether we have it? I read an article that said that now that the country is finally getting its act together and tests are available, people aren't even getting them because they think it's too late; life is going back to normal. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Maybe my question sounds crazy, but hear me out. States are opening up despite doctors advising against it. Many of these states are not requiring face masks. Most patients don't have symptoms when they get the virus and you can get the virus immediately after testing negative anyway. If you have to go back to work no matter what, what difference does it make? The states don't seem to care if you have the disease or not. My wife, friend, and I were tested and they never even called us back with the results! Why be tested if we don't know whether we have it? I read an article that said that now that the country is finally getting its act together and tests are available, people aren't even getting them because they think it's too late; life is going back to normal. What do you think?
I never understood why it makes sense to "increase testing testing testing!" either...considering:

A) The tests are not accurate at all...many false negatives and false positives
B) The tests don't test for the actual virus, but for an RNA Sequence reaction
C) If we're going with the herd immunity approach, then what's the point of freaking out if you're asymptomatic and test positive?

Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I personally don’t think it does any good for most people with no symptoms at all to go out of your way to be tested. If you have no other reason to be there, you may be putting yourself at more risk going through testing in a place where a bunch of sick people may have been.

And you can come in contact with it on the very next thing you touch, so it might even cause a false sense of security that leads to careless behavior..

I think the right answer is for all of us to walk around acting as if we think we might have it... That will make us more careful. And we should assume everyone that we come in contact with might have it also and take appropriate precautions for the situation.

And then do what you need to do! I think for most, the test wouldn’t really change anything. Testing can be reserved for those who feel sick so that they know what they have, and for those in the medical field so they can stop coming in close contact with people if they are positive.

I would look at the wider big picture of what’s going on in your town county and region and try to accurately gauge the real risk, and take appropriate defensive steps.

That’s my two cents anyway…

Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
It depends on the circumstances. For most people it doesn't really matter.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I am planning to visit my 85 year old aunt when I go on vacation. I will be tested first.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
I think that this whole episode was pointless except with the vulnerable who should be protected. The rest of us should be allowed to go about our business. Strangling the economy was just stupid.

All this is just a knee jerk overreaction that was not planned out or had any common sense applied.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I think that this whole episode was pointless except with the vulnerable who should be protected. The rest of us should be allowed to go about our business. Strangling the economy was just stupid.

All this is just a knee jerk overreaction that was not planned out or had any common sense applied.
What should have been done for most of our country was common sense regulations enforcing social distancing. Much like what we are doing in Texas now. New York City probably needed to be shuttered due to over reliance on mass transportation.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:

You can't make perfect decisions about a disease you know nothing about. That's why it's called a new virus.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

More than half of Americans are considered vulnerable.

Testing is important for data collection, hospital planning, and state response. If your county seems under control, but no one is getting tested, you're helping set back the control. By the time cases start rolling into the hospital, it can be too late.

Remember, NYC's hospitals were overwhelmed. Boston's hospitals were over 120% of ICU capacity. Both locations can reshuffle resources in their hospitals, but that can take time. Rural and even many suburban areas don't have the resources to manage an out of control outbreak.

I don't want to shut back down again. That's an absolute guarantee if we get another spike. Getting tested helps keep the spike under control.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:26 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
I used to think it is important but now your chances of dying are like 1% under 40 years old so why bother. In fact, if you are conservative you shouldn't do it because the liberals rely on the numbers to force shut downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies