Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:17 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

JUNCTION CITY, Kan. — Like hundreds of young men joining the Army in recent years, Jeremy Hall professes a desire to serve his country while it fights terrorism.

FOXNews.com - Atheist's Lawsuit Cites His Treatment in the Army - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Pretty shameful how this American soldier has been harassed. It also raises serious questions about the Army's chain of command. Shouldn't some senior officers be relieved of command if they cannot control an insurrection in their ranks? They had to move the guy back to the United States for his safety? Who's the enemy over there?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Pretty shameful how this American soldier has been harassed. It also raises serious questions about the Army's chain of command. Shouldn't some senior officers be relieved of command if they cannot control an insurrection in their ranks? They had to move the guy back to the United States for his safety? Who's the enemy over there?
His story is highly unbelievable for anyone who has served. I don't doubt that he might have been harassed...but I do highly doubt it's because he's said that he doesn't believe in God.

It's like a guy a who comes in late every day, doesn't do his job, comes to work drunk, whatever...and claims he was fired because he is black, hispanic, gay, the boss just doesn't like him, whatever his excuse happens to be.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
His story is highly unbelievable for anyone who has served. I don't doubt that he might have been harassed...but I do highly doubt it's because he's said that he doesn't believe in God.

It's like a guy a who comes in late every day, doesn't do his job, comes to work drunk, whatever...and claims he was fired because he is black, hispanic, gay, the boss just doesn't like him, whatever his excuse happens to be.
Sure because REGULAR, GOOD OLD-FASHIONED DISCRIMINATION no longer exists in the "melting pot" they call the United States of America, right? (Snicker, snort, giggle). Heaven forbid you're a gay Atheist in this nation; people always view you as being inferior to the straight Christian right-wing majority. Did you see this morning's news segment in which they actually even profiled some military ministerial web sites that more or less sought to BLEND Christianity with religion? Didn't we already do that and FAIL in a little thing called the CRUSADES? Part of the reason why we're so hated overseas is because our right-wing Evangelical zealots are so pompous in assuming it is their "obligation" to "enlighten" everyone else to believe as they do in order to save them. What if some of these people don't wish to be saved by YOUR hypothetical Christian God? Organized religion should have no role in politics, let alone the military! First the military alienated homosexuals, and now it is alienating non-Christians? Is it any wonder why they are having such a difficult time meeting their quotas? This isn't the 1950s anymore---gay people are out of the closet, non-Christians are free to live amongst us, interracial marriages are commonplace, blended families are now as numerous as pleutonic families, etc. As much as some in the rural areas may not wish to admit this, we're making strides towards becoming a more intelluctually-enriched society. You can either "progress" with the rest of us or sit and wallow in contempt and yearning for a bygone era.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Sure because REGULAR, GOOD OLD-FASHIONED DISCRIMINATION no longer exists in the "melting pot" they call the United States of America, right? (Snicker, snort, giggle). Heaven forbid you're a gay Atheist in this nation; people always view you as being inferior to the straight Christian right-wing majority. Did you see this morning's news segment in which they actually even profiled some military ministerial web sites that more or less sought to BLEND Christianity with religion? Didn't we already do that and FAIL in a little thing called the CRUSADES? Part of the reason why we're so hated overseas is because our right-wing Evangelical zealots are so pompous in assuming it is their "obligation" to "enlighten" everyone else to believe as they do in order to save them. What if some of these people don't wish to be saved by YOUR hypothetical Christian God? Organized religion should have no role in politics, let alone the military! First the military alienated homosexuals, and now it is alienating non-Christians? Is it any wonder why they are having such a difficult time meeting their quotas? This isn't the 1950s anymore---gay people are out of the closet, non-Christians are free to live amongst us, interracial marriages are commonplace, blended families are now as numerous as pleutonic families, etc. As much as some in the rural areas may not wish to admit this, we're making strides towards becoming a more intelluctually-enriched society. You can either "progress" with the rest of us or sit and wallow in contempt and yearning for a bygone era.
I learned two things from this post. First, that you are pretty bitter and it's funny to me. Second, you have never served a day of your life in the military.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
I learned two things from this post. First, that you are pretty bitter and it's funny to me. Second, you have never served a day of your life in the military.
1.) Bitter? You betcha. Try growing up as an anomaly in an area that is predominantly uneducated, white, non-Hispanic, unilingual, Roman Catholic, heterosexual, socially right-wing, and Anglo-Saxon, and you'll feel like bashing your head against a wall.

2.) Right once again. Why? I CAN'T serve thanks to "don't ask; don't tell." I actually DID once ponder serving in the marines when I was a teenager, but when I learned I would have to endure more years of hiding my true identity, lying to people, and joking around about liking big boobies with the rest of the guys simply due to discriminatory policies that forbid me to let anyone know my TRUE orientation for fear of being discharged it lost its "allure." Why should I lay down my life for a nation that would rather me dead anyways?

P.S. It's nice to know you think bitterness over facing discrimination is "funny." That shows real class.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-27-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
1.) Bitter? You betcha. Try growing up as an anomaly in an area that is predominantly uneducated, white, non-Hispanic, unilingual, Roman Catholic, heterosexual, socially right-wing, and Anglo-Saxon, and you'll feel like bashing your head against a wall.

2.) Right once again. Why? I CAN'T serve thanks to "don't ask; don't tell." I actually DID once ponder serving in the marines when I was a teenager, but when I learned I would have to endure more years of hiding my true identity, lying to people, and joking around about liking big boobies with the rest of the guys simply due to discriminatory policies that forbid me to let anyone know my TRUE orientation for fear of being discharged it lost its "allure." Why should I lay down my life for a nation that would rather me dead anyways?

P.S. It's nice to know you think bitterness over facing discrimination is "funny." That shows real class.
Yeah, I think it's funny that you rant and rave like you have such a horrible life. I think it's funny that talking about big boobies really offends you to terribly.

However, I think it's sad that your ability to express your homosexuality is more important to you than serving your country.

BTW, I am currently serving my country, thereby defending your right to rant and rave so bitterly. So I don't really care what you think of my amusement, because your ability to express yourself like that depends completely on me and my fellow servicemembers protecting that right.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I served six years and I find it quite credible. It actually mirrors the situation that infected the Air Force Academy a few years ago. He might be just a screw up, but there's nothing in the stories that even asserts that. If he come is late, is a screw up, doesn't do his job, that should be pretty easy to establish. He'll have a whole series of NJP incidents documented.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I served six years and I find it quite credible. It actually mirrors the situation that infected the Air Force Academy a few years ago. He might be just a screw up, but there's nothing in the stories that even asserts that. If he come is late, is a screw up, doesn't do his job, that should be pretty easy to establish. He'll have a whole series of NJP incidents documented.
First of all, I don't believe you did 6 years. But that's neither here nor there.

Second, of course there is nothing in the article to indicate that he was a screw up...that would not be in line with the media's agenda to embarass and discredit the military.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
First of all, I don't believe you did 6 years. But that's neither here nor there.

Second, of course there is nothing in the article to indicate that he was a screw up...that would not be in line with the media's agenda to embarass and discredit the military.
It's a Fox News story. Once again. "blame the victim, shoot the messenger." And the documented religious harassment at the Air Force Academy. Or do you doubt those people served either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies