Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Travel_2011 View Post
UBI has a belief that it will work in part because humans have an inherent need to do more than just the bare minimum. It assumes that people will want to work. The truth is though that if enough people feel comfortable, they wont work. They will resist working.

The fear with UBI is that it can lead to slavery. The top class of society with their billions of dollars is meant to support the masses through high taxation. Despite this, You will still need essential workers. You can only tax everyone so much. Someone will still need to be a garbage man. $2,000 a month guaranteed will make few want to do that job. Thus it would need to be highly paid or people will need to be forced to do the job.

Higher up the chain, doctors and nurses are essential jobs. Pay for those would either need to be raised to entice people to take the risk or people would be forced to go through medical school and work those jobs.

Like with everything, the question is whats the point? If you make it too comfortable, nobody will want to work. If is not comfortable enough, all it will do it raise prices for everyone through inflation.
Garbage men make way more than $2,000/month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 07:20 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

[IThe notion of the federal government handing out free money used to be a liberal dream and a conservative nightmare. No more.

The coronavirus outbreak, which plunged the nation into an economic free fall, has created an opening for governments and nonprofits to experiment with giving money directly to Americans, with no strings attached.

Enacting such payouts permanently faces major obstacles, notably funding. Creating a program that is expected to cost trillions of dollars could necessitate deep cuts in other areas and a reimagining of the nation’s social safety net. Such proposals would also face criticism that they disincentivize work, as critics allege.

It is also uncertain how long bipartisan cooperation will continue once the pandemic — and the accompanying economic pain — abates.

“Everyone’s still in crisis response mode,” said Jesse Rothstein, director of the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment at UC Berkeley. “I don’t know anyone who’s done any long-term rethinking. If you asked five years ago whether they thought there would ever be any circumstance where 20% to 30% of people stop working and have government make up that income, it would have been unimaginable.”

Lawmakers will face pressure to extend these benefits, said Joshua Rauh, a Stanford University graduate school professor who served as principal chief economist on President Trump’s Council of Economic Advisors.
[/i]

My problem with universal basic income is that it encourages people not to work, the government takes my money for charitable purposes when I can give charity myself, and I can give it to people I want to give it to - instead of government picking who gets the money.

Hm. That's a very interesting development.

I'd agree that it's a difficult idea to warm up to, but if you read a bit about it, you'll find that it often seems to work out pretty well.

By the way, if you don't approve of things that encourage people not to work, are you against inherited money?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
UBI would be nice, but UBI = negative taxation. I don’t know any government that can survive on negative taxation.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:07 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I truly wonder how long it will be until working will be entirely voluntary (meaning that all food, housing, health care, and every other basic need will be provided to people by the government indefinitely if they chose to not work).

I can just imagine 50 years from now, children being incredulous that in "the olden days", most people actually worked to earn money to pay for their necessities instead of knowing that if they chose not to do, they would not suffer at all, even if they went their entire lives without earning a paycheck or having their own business. (Just as it is difficult for some children to learn that 150 years ago, many people worked seven days a week, working 10-12 hours a day, with only a half-day off on Sunday -- and that if they didn't earn their own money, there was a very real risk of them literally starving to death.)

Last edited by katharsis; 05-21-2020 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
For UBI to make economic sense, it likely needs to be linked to the robotic contribution to the economy, both domestic and overseas.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:50 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
UBI is revealed as crazy with rudimentary knowledge of how money works.

All that it will accomplish is to give people an irrevocable and inflatable blank check that will always neutralize itself through the quickened inflation that it is directly responsible for.

Which will wipe out both savings and debt, as well as the ability to save once inflation increases in rate by a significant amount. Then the bartering begins, and that's not a good thing.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
UBI is one of the best ideas to come along in years.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:07 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My problem with universal basic income is that it encourages people not to work, the government takes my money for charitable purposes when I can give charity myself, and I can give it to people I want to give it to - instead of government picking who gets the money.

There is absolutely no basis in that statement.

A mere $1,000 a month is enough to stop people from working? I wish. That'd mean the job market is less competitive and salary will go higher.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:12 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Looks like they make about $2,300 a month. I guess that's way more than $2,000 a month, huh?

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...er/Hourly_Rate

Old 05-22-2020, 02:13 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Looks like they make about $2,300 a month. I guess that's way more than $2,000 a month, huh?

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...er/Hourly_Rate

https://www.zippia.com/sanitation-worker-jobs/salary/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies