Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 12:48 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The same ones who would willingly comply with a requirement for shoes and shirts in businesses are suddenly up in arms because masks are being required by business owners to protect customers.

If "freedom" is absolute, the I shouldn't have to use turn signals or drive my car exclusively in one lane or the other. I do so because it is a courtesy and doesn't endanger people. Wear your damned mask.

I find it obtuse to compare shoes and shirts to a mask and I see people comparing it all the time. Shoes and shirts have been a part of society for a long time. Not to mention shoes are worn on your feet and a shirt on your upper body. Why are we comparing what is worn on different body parts?

Who's going to object to turn signals or driving in one lane though? Lazy people? I agree that freedom isn't absolute but there should be a reasonable amount of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Masks are a barrier to emotional connection. How complete is any friendly emotional exchange when you can't see one another smile?

We are being turned into emotionless zombies.

That's one of the few things I like about masks. You don't want to see mine and at least with a mask I can truly have a poker face (unless you are good at reading eyes but not as many people are)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 01:02 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They're face condoms. Not 100% effective and depends on how good you are at putting them on.

Or they're the new TSA - not very effective, a real pita, and gives a false sense of security.

We have to wear them where I live and I feel no safer than before they mandated it and I wasn't wearing a mask. But I'll leave you with this because it's funny.
That is funny.

But it is not helpful at all. LOL

By wearing a mask, folks leave their eyes open and susceptible to COVID. Also, many people wear the mask BELOW their nose, exposing their nostrils.

Many people also wear the masks half-assed. They take them down to talk louder if no one hears them, they rub their eyes with their hands. They touch the mask then touch a counter, then touch their gloves.

Not to mention, wearing a mask restricts oxygen flow and is hot.

The whole thing is a trainwreck and I'd venture a bet people won't put up with it much longer.

Only the extreme left/extreme Democrats will carry this charade onwards until the election.

https://www.livescience.com/are-face...us-spread.html

From the article:

"The bottom line, experts say, is that masks might help keep people with COVID-19 from unknowingly passing along the virus. But the evidence for the efficacy of surgical or homemade masks is limited, and masks aren't the most important protection against the coronavirus."

Old 05-23-2020, 01:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That is funny.

But it is not helpful at all. LOL

By wearing a mask, folks leave their eyes open and susceptible to COVID. Also, many people wear the mask BELOW their nose, exposing their nostrils.

Many people also wear the masks half-assed. They take them down to talk louder if no one hears them, they rub their eyes with their hands. They touch the mask then touch a counter, then touch their gloves.

Not to mention, wearing a mask restricts oxygen flow and is hot.

The whole thing is a trainwreck and I'd venture a bet people won't put up with it much longer.

Only the extreme left/extreme Democrats will carry this charade onwards until the election.

https://www.livescience.com/are-face...us-spread.html

From the article:
"
The bottom line, experts say, is that masks might help keep people with COVID-19 from unknowingly passing along the virus. But the evidence for the efficacy of surgical or homemade masks is limited, and masks aren't the most important protection against the coronavirus."
I'm not the only one who wears sunglasses in stores, so it's not lost on everyone. And so far the only people I've seen wearing a mask improperly are the photos and videos of dopes some have posted about here.

I think the mask thing people are more apt to put up with for a while - it's staying home and social distancing that is making everyone crazy. Do that for another couple of months and there may be a problem because patience is already gone and nerves are shot.

But we'll see. We tend to be apathetic so I could be wrong.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You could say the same thing about wearing pants in public.
Masks are helpful in picking out liberals because they are the ones alone in their car wearing a mask........

Old 05-23-2020, 01:28 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
I saw on the news that there is a Mask Vending Machine in NYC?????

Old 05-23-2020, 01:35 PM

989 posts, read 456,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Masks are helpful in picking out liberals because they are the ones alone in their car wearing a mask........
So if I have two stores to go to, 5 minutes apart, and good mask techniques say never to remove the mask until you are done with it for that particular wearing, then that makes a person a liberal?

Today I had to go to the Fedex store to drop off a package (mask required) and then over to the pet food store. The stores are separated by two traffic lights. I drive 5 miles to the FEDEX store with no mask on, put the mask on, drop off my package, get back into the car, keep mask on, and drive to the pet store. Take care of business at the pet store, get into car, remove mask, clean my hands, drive home. You know that's what you're supposed to do, right? Some people driving around with a mask actually know what they are doing and, hey, they might also be from any political party.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:11 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To post 15, about how big is the CV-19 vs the ebola virus?

Anyone?

There is a reason I bring this up, comparing the size of ebola to CV19 is useless.......

Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Or "jewish badge" wore by the jews during Nazis- occupied Europe
You're suggesting we're being marked for extermination by wearing a mask? Or more likely you're just hoping to garner an emotional response, rather than a rational one. Well, wearing pants indoors isn't really necessary; we just wear them out of social convention so we don't offend others. Mask though, serve both a symbolic purpose and provide a medical benefit. We don't wear them in service of the state, but to benefit our fellow human beings. The medical aspect is why it is being required.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:06 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OK, I have a few questions regarding the government mandates that we wear facemask when out and about. We have plenty of self-appointed experts promoting them on this board, maybe you can explain them for me.

Now-the propaganda says "the mask isn't to protect you-it's to protect others". Sort of a lame attempt to guilt trip people into wearing them.

1) The theory is that they mask stops "droplets" from you breath when exhaling, talking, sneezing from escaping and infecting others. Now, if that's true, why don't they block other's "droplets" and offer you protection? Is there some magic material used in making theses mask? A material that acts like a one-way valve that stops stuff from going out but not in? Kind of like a fuzzy check valve?

2) If masks are effective-why didn't we just hand them out at prisons; instead of letting violent criminals out to prey on the public yet another time?

3) If masks are effective, why have we "locked down" and put 40 million people out of work, destroyed hundreds of small businesses and destroyed many people's life's savings. If people can go out with a mask and everyone is perfectly safe, why did we lock down in the first place-just hand out some bandanas?

4) Regarding 3, you might say we didn't know were effective 2 months ago. Well-if they are effective and we know it now-why are no states back to "normal", but with masks? And why do some states insist on extending their lockdowns another month or longer?

5) If masks are effective-why aren't our elected leaders wearing them at their press conferences? I've seen multiple ones from the governors of NY, MI, CA and WA-not a single one ever wore a mask. Yet they insist that their peasants have to wear them.

6) If you can still smell a fart after it's contained by a layer of denim, how can you expect a mask to stop tiny virus particles?

Did you miss the whole bit, that China produced all the PPE, and when the US NEEDED those medical masks ( that are essential part of PPE) they couldn't get them?

Of course the inmates were supposed to get masks ( along with other precautions being taken,) and so are the people working at meat processing factories and the list goes on.

Same situation with Europeans - when they needed those medical masks, the supply was unavailable, because China hoarded them all.

(And yes, the officials in the US should wear them to, if they want to reopen country safely - or at least want to attempt to.) But apparently they feel themselves above it all because "those around them are tested and so are they."
Oh well.
This is what China is going through, while reopening, ( starting from 8:37,) but I can't picture this kind of scenario in the US somehow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnOyFhEg4Ac&t=121s

Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Toyman, I'm not sure I understand your question about blocking droplets. They do block them both ways, coming and going. Yes, they are "effective" but they are not like encasing someone in a bubble. People are careless, and it's not the only way to transmit germs. Some states extend lockdowns because the leaders are more cautious. We can't mind-read, but I'm guessing that the reason leaders aren't wearing them at press conferences is that the speaker isn't near enough to the press for it to be an issue.

These all seem to be pretty simple to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies