Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,569,634 times

Advertisements

Why should anything "Have to be PC"? It is lame, societal bullying, censorship and speech/image control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 08:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
There were many shows on TV back then that would never be allowed today: All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Golden Girls, Charlie's Angels (sexist and women doing what a man told them to - oh the horror! </sarcasm>), The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Gilligan's Island, Carole Burnette, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.

I'm so sick of everything being so PC these days. The shows were good for what they were at the time - entertainment.

A lot of this started when we stopped letting kids be kids and started treating them like fragile teacups. Can't hurt little Joey's feelings by telling him he's never going to be a pro ball player but here's your trophy anyway. Kids have nothing to strive for anymore. I can clearly remember riding around in the back window bin of a VW Bug when it was the only car my parents had. Car didn't even have seatbelts.

Helmets for riding bikes didn't exist yet. If you wanted a skate board, you made your own. Parents knew what kids watched on TV. If someone in the family had guns, kids were taught gun safety and knew not to touch them or they get the butt whooped.

And then came along video games with so much killing, kids became desensitized to it. School shootings started and haven't ended. Kids have no idea any more how to handle conflict with their friends and classmates.

It was certainly a simpler time back then. I miss it sometimes and am at least glad I had the chance to raise my son in a small town where everyone still looked out for everyone else's kids. And he likes some of those old shows from back then when the reruns come on late night TV.
I would agree, helicopter parenting s at the root of these modern problems.

Its going to even worse in the next generation too, because parents have gone to the extremes of helicopter parenting today.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:57 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I also remember a Leave it to Beaver where it was discussed what you'd do if you saw a boy pushing a doll carriage. You'd beat him up.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:00 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
OHHH is this why all want to return to the 50's- guns anywhere? geesh- please stop the escapism - we are in Almost JUNE 2020 and time keeps moving forward the last I heard.

You just don't get it do you. It isn't about having "guns anywhere" it's about the fact that they were and we didn't have the issues we do now. People have changed...and not necessarily for the better.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:15 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
OHHH is this why all want to return to the 50's- guns anywhere? geesh- please stop the escapism - we are in Almost JUNE 2020 and time keeps moving forward the last I heard.
True, the AR15 is now the most bought/sought firearm in America today.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I thought at first you were talking about the song, 16 Candles. Lordy. That creeps me out, how many middle aged men have covered that song. Um... do we hear what they're singing? haha
The movie.

All the Asian jokes.
Drunk sex.

etc etc

Old 05-28-2020, 10:24 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean the people or the country move forward with time !!!

Advance to the rear is real but don't tell a priest !!!

Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,355,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
My high school had a rifle club too; it was an after school "sport". Nobody ever brought a gun into class though and I doubt they would have been allowed to. But still, back then guns were not a big deal. Many people owned one or two. Now a few individuals own several guns, and most of the rest of us don't have a gun.

Yet somehow we have more massacres even though less of the population owns guns and gun laws are more strict. One could almost get the idea that guns aren't the source of the problem.
I wasn't saying we should allow kids to bring guns to school. I was just pointing out that you would never be able to do it on a silly tv show. It would be considered propaganda that will cause all kids to do a copy cat just like they think that Bugs Bunny causes kids to blow people up and the Three Stooges will make someone twist someone's nose with a plier. Insanity today.

Yes, isn't it amazing how there are shooting now when we are more locked down then ever? Hmmm.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:39 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,355,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I also remember a Leave it to Beaver where it was discussed what you'd do if you saw a boy pushing a doll carriage. You'd beat him up.
Still makes sense to me today. I don't advocate that anyone do that but kids will be kids know that boys do not walk around with doll carriages despite the libs trying to push this agenda. That is part of the biggest problem. God forbid a boy should act like a boy and girls act like girls. Girls on football teams with guys, give me a friggin break. Boys joining the girl scouts, holy crap. Sorry. Men are men and women are women. It is clear cut and has been since the beginning of time. Of course, either of the sexes could have an interest in the opposite sex's activities, but overall, it is what it is. You got a weener? Guess what?> You are a boy whether your brain tells you otherwise or not.The fact that we allow an alternative to that is just sick.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:40 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I was just watching Leave it to beaver this morning. The episode was about him having to make a poster for school about something important in history. The dad decided to make a quick sketch to give the Beaver an idea what to draw. His wife said that he draws so well. He responded that he could never be a commercial artist because you never see Horses with a beer in their hand. Then the Beave was in hiss friend drawing Paul Revere by having his friend posing. He tells his friend, “can you turn sideways a bit, Paul revere so stomach was not that fat. They then joked about his weight. Later, in the classroom, one of the students brought in an actual rifle from the frontier days.

Why am I writing this? Because in one episode, which was funny and harmless, it was obvious that none of the above would be aloud to be shown onto today because this country has gone over the edge with politicos correctness. It was a somewhat innocent time in America and yet people could joke about things and not be offended. As for the rifle being in the school, we had a rifle club in our HS as late as 1979 when I graduated. Nothing wrong with that.
Ever see the original Bad News Bears?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies