Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

I hear this from a lot of multinational organizations, political groups, and neoliberal economists.

The idea is that the new economy values thought skills and old industry workers like factory workers or miners can learn to code for cheap and start making money.

That way they say it solves all the social problems caused by massive globalization and economic growth without needing said individual to leave their broken/abandoned community.

There are hundreds of problems with these suggestions, and come more from a broken Ayn Rand philosophy than anything else.

Libertarians love the idea because it means market destruction is ok, and no one loses in their perfect utopia.

But I don't understand. Most code is already written, which leaves maintenance and more basic instructive coding.

The latter is handled for cheap by Indians and Chinese, most of the low level coding having already been off-shored. They model it like an assembly line to lower costs.

Anyways the idea goes against the neoliberal dream that everyone is free to do whatever they want since they now have to work in programming to survive (apparently) but given how tough the coding job market is, and how low skilled most of these middle aged old industry workers are, how is this a solution to anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Nobody is saying that everyone has to learn to code.......

It's a suggestion.

I think that coding is as basic as writing for our society now and kids should learn some kind of coding form Kindergarten.

Like any other basic academic skill, it doesn't have to be a career choice or job for life...but it can be depending on your skills, talents and interests.

Even more artistic fields use code in some capacity and if you have a basic understanding of how code works it will help.

Nobody is saying anyone HAS to code...but it is a field with lots and lots and lots of jobs...and various levels. Sure some of it is not very interesting but not all jobs are fun and interesting...some are just to get the pay check.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
It's a catch-all phrase for "get with the future" that is said as smarmy reply to people complaining about the disappearance of certain jobs and skill sets.

My normal reply to such people is "then do something else..." and I guess "L2code" came about from so many people firing back at my normal reply with something like "yeah, like what? What should I go do instead of XYZ?"

Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's a catch-all phrase for "get with the future" that is said as smarmy reply to people complaining about the disappearance of certain jobs and skill sets.

My normal reply to such people is "then do something else..." and I guess "L2code" came about from so many people firing back at my normal reply with something like "yeah, like what? What should I go do instead of XYZ?"
Oh this put this thread into context for me.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
The first time I heard it (or read it) it was directed towards coal miners who were going to lose their jobs when the US was making a concentrated effort to eliminate coal mining.

Yeah, a bit smug and pretentious, IMO.

The next time I saw it come back into play was when the media industry stated they were going to shed thousands of jobs and journalists, in particular, were aghast at their future career prospects.

Needless to say, when THEY were told "learn to code" they were highly offended at such insensitivity towards their plight.

That made me laugh.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
10 print "this computer sucks"
20 goto 10
run.

coding in the 1980s

Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
The first time I heard it (or read it) it was directed towards coal miners who were going to lose their jobs when the US was making a concentrated effort to eliminate coal mining.

Yeah, a bit smug and pretentious, IMO.

The next time I saw it come back into play was when the media industry stated they were going to shed thousands of jobs and journalists, in particular, were aghast at their future career prospects.

Needless to say, when THEY were told "learn to code" they were highly offended at such insensitivity towards their plight.

That made me laugh.
me too

Old 05-27-2020, 09:26 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Its going to be "fun" watching all the jobs for low level workers disappear.

25% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less. Jobs for them still exist but for example... How many truck drivers will we need in 15 years...

Brings me back to a theatre ca 1986 watching the first scene food riot in the film "Running Man" and wondering if it was indeed predicting the future.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
It's career advice from those who are also apt to say "ok Boomer"

Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nobody is saying that everyone has to learn to code.......

It's a suggestion.

I think that coding is as basic as writing for our society now and kids should learn some kind of coding form Kindergarten.

Like any other basic academic skill, it doesn't have to be a career choice or job for life...but it can be depending on your skills, talents and interests.

Even more artistic fields use code in some capacity and if you have a basic understanding of how code works it will help.

Nobody is saying anyone HAS to code...but it is a field with lots and lots and lots of jobs...and various levels. Sure some of it is not very interesting but not all jobs are fun and interesting...some are just to get the pay check.
This is not really what they say.

The point is that many political or economic thinkers (social science) use the term in actual professional papers as a solution that relieves globalism from any supposed consequences.

But that is not an answer. Low level coding is handled in bulk by Indian coders, it is not an industry for out of work american miners or factory workers.

These people have such an empty understanding of what programming or coding is, they think free online classes are catch-all solution. Actual coders out of college have a hard time finding jobs, and the programmers who work for google or apple of the cream of the crop.

Its a nice excuse for global investors and international organizations who want to force the market in one direction to wash their hands of any problems, but it also means there is no critical analysis of what these global institutions are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies