Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 09:52 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I want to make clear that I'm fine w/ peaceful protesting but NOT violent rioting in any shape or form.

For those wondering why such a NATIONWIDE outrage over this. Here's why:

1) People are finally fed up because although the police officer was arrested, this is decades & decades of past officers barely getting a slap on the wrist for doing the same thing, so I guess this was finally the last straw for everyone.

2) PLUS, this officer this time who got arrested was still employed as an officer all while doing questionable actions each year for the last just about 20 yrs of his being a police officer. They said that on the news, so he probably should have been fired nearly 2 decades ago or at least a whole LOT sooner than this. I'm sure he figured he could get away w/ this too like he has been the last 20 yrs.

3) PLUS, yesterday was the 1st time I finally heard what the man who was killed named George Floyd actually did. Not that what he did was right, but it was said he paid for cigarettes using counterfeit money...don't know if he was aware it was fake money or not. So he wasn't doing anything violent, so people are mad about that.

And to expand on #3, all these past people throughout the decades who do all these mass shootings in schools, etc. & killed countless innocent people didn't get the treatment by the police that this George Floyd did.

Other random comments about this:

- ALL races are protesting, not just any one race and not just the minority races.

- Re: the downtown L.A. area specifically where the looting was, that area is upscale. The violence didn't occur in the slum/ghetto area, unlike the last time they looted in L.A. back in 1992. And to clarify, as a born and bred native to the city, I'm not saying any area's rioting is any worse, etc. and I don't condone ANY rioting/looting AT ALL no matter where it is. I'm just making an observation comment.

Now again, what I'm about to say isn't what I personally agree with. I'm just saying WHY. Just because I say WHY, doesn't mean I agree with it. So a protester on the news in L.A. who they interviewed basically said they want to ruin the nice areas that certain other people get to enjoy while in the meantime, they (the minorities and certain others) never feel welcome and are stopped unnecessarily by cops on a regular basis, etc.

I'm praying for our country and these young people who think violence is the answer.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 05-31-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
What you're saying is but a tiny part of it. Very few whites have been brutalized by the police yet there are more whites in these crowds than blacks. How does that happen? Or why? Truth is, these whites are chaos promoters who are fomenting violence to cause the downfall of America. Gov. Walz and Trump and a few others got that much right. This really has nothing to do with Floyd anymore. He disappeared from the scene the first night of the riots. Now it's about pure mayhem, hatred, greed (looting) and anarchy. Those are the issues driving these riots now.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 AM

8,180 posts, read 6,931,284 times
Yeah, we KNOW why people are PROTESTING.

That doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the looting, assault and battery, arson, property damage, and opportunistic CRIMINALS wreaking havoc and DESTROYING communities.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/s...16938426146821

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKwe6VyAVmY

Old 05-31-2020, 10:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Using counterfeit money is a crime he was arrested he resisted he had a severe medical condition it killed him the cop did not kill him
We have walked this road before
Mob justice vs rule of law
The difference when the verdict goes against the court
The bailiff and judge don’t go out and burn and loot

Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
How often has change come out of 'peaceful protesting' though?

Look at how America became a free nation even!! It took extreme violence and war.

The Boston Tea Party is a great example...a group of people stole and destroyed property that did not belong to them because they were upset about the taxes on it...and we call this patriotic today.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Firstly, I want to make clear that I'm fine w/ peaceful protesting but NOT violent rioting in any shape or form.

1) People are finally fed up because although the police officer was arrested, this is decades & decades of past officers barely getting a slap on the wrist for doing the same thing, so I guess this was finally the last straw for everyone.

2) PLUS, this officer this time who got arrested was still employed as an officer all while doing questionable actions each year for the last just about 20 yrs of his being a police officer. They said that on the news, so he probably should have been fired nearly 2 decades ago or at least a whole LOT sooner than this. I'm sure he figured he could get away w/ this too like he has been the last 20 yrs.

3) PLUS, yesterday was the 1st time I finally heard what the man who was killed named George Floyd actually did. Not that what he did was right, but it was said he paid for cigarettes using counterfeit money...don't know if he was aware it was fake money or not. So he wasn't doing anything violent, so people are mad about that.

And to expand on #3, all these past people throughout the decades who do all these mass shootings in schools, etc. & killed countless innocent people didn't get the treatment by the police that this George Floyd did.

- ALL races are protesting, not just any one race and not just the minority races.

- Re: the downtown L.A. area specifically where the looting was, that area is upscale. The violence didn't occur in the slum/ghetto area, unlike the last time they looted in L.A. back in 1992. And to clarify, as a born and bred native to the city, I'm not saying any area's rioting is any worse, etc. and I don't condone ANY rioting/looting AT ALL no matter where it is. I'm just making an observation comment.

Now again, what I'm about to say isn't what I personally agree with. I'm just saying WHY. Just because I say WHY, doesn't mean I agree with it. So a protester on the news in L.A. who they interviewed basically said they want to ruin the nice areas that certain other people get to enjoy while in the meantime, they (the minorities and certain others) never feel welcome and are stopped unnecessarily by cops on a regular basis, etc.

I'm praying for our country and these young people who think violence is the answer.
I am always wondering why people resist arrest.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
It is sad but I believe that the Police are taking on the idea that it is them against the rest of us and the liberal politicians are not helping the matter.
I couldn't imagine being a Police officer where the criminals they arrest are often back on the streets before their shift is over. They risk their health, their very lives in capturing criminals that are let out of prison because the state doesn't want them getting sick. On a more federal level there is always the concern that an illegal alien committed the crime and in some of the Sanctuary states they are literally a protected class so while the citizen is left to pick up the pieces of their life that was shattered by a drunk illegal alien the illegal often walks.

It was murder what that bad cop did to Floyd and those that stood by are accessories to the crime. That being said there is no reason for the looting, the riots, the destruction of public and private property. It makes no sense to burn down your neighborhood but they are doing it.

There is a lot of pent up anger across all races and demographics as we are seeing in the protests/riots and the corona lock downs have certainly added to the frustration levels.

What the protesters don't seem to understand or care about is that for every one bad cop there are thousands of dedicated honest police officers and it is really sad that they are being called out as the problem.

What is the answer? It certainly isn't violence.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:12 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

1) Cops kill people all the time every year, sometimes through restraining methods and sometimes through gunfire, and sometimes through vehicle accidents.

2) Every year there will be bad cops, poorly trained cops, cops who make bad decisions, etc. This is never going to change. However, if you're upset at a bad cop, typically there's a system in place or lack of system that has led to the outcome that was undesirable. Cops are generally as good as their leaders and the accountability they're held to.

3) If you're unhappy with the system that produced this bad cop, don't take it out on the cop. He will be sentenced appropriately by the judicial system. Make a change with your vote. Police forces are run by politicians and labor unions. If you want the system to change, vote those in power out of office. Burning down a police building and destroying police vehicles does nothing but raise your taxes as they fund new cars and buildings.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:14 AM

3,338 posts, read 2,142,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is sad but I believe that the Police are taking on the idea that it is them against the rest of us and the liberal politicians are not helping the matter.
I couldn't imagine being a Police officer where the criminals they arrest are often back on the streets before their shift is over. They risk their health, their very lives in capturing criminals that are let out of prison because the state doesn't want them getting sick. On a more federal level there is always the concern that an illegal alien committed the crime and in some of the Sanctuary states they are literally a protected class so while the citizen is left to pick up the pieces of their life that was shattered by a drunk illegal alien the illegal often walks.

It was murder what that bad cop did to Floyd and those that stood by are accessories to the crime. That being said there is no reason for the looting, the riots, the destruction of public and private property. It makes no sense to burn down your neighborhood but they are doing it.

There is a lot of pent up anger across all races and demographics as we are seeing in the protests/riots and the corona lock downs have certainly added to the frustration levels.

What the protesters don't seem to understand or care about is that for every one bad cop there are thousands of dedicated honest police officers and it is really sad that they are being called out as the problem.

What is the answer? It certainly isn't violence.

Indeed, and watch for the impending spin when these areas see new outbreaks of COVID-19. The media won't be placing blame on the tens of thousands that huddled shoulder-to-shoulder yelling and slobbering on one another as they committed burglary and arson.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:20 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
...he had a severe medical condition it killed him the cop did not kill him...
Ludicrous.

"...Lack of oxygen, either partial [hypoxia] or total [anoxia], can cause death. Normal room air is approximately 21% oxygen. Impairment of cognitive and motor function can manifest at oxygen concentrations of 10-15%, loss of consciousness at less than 10%, while death usually occurs at less than 8%. For example, although hypoxic endurance varies, a person can lose consciousness in 40 seconds and die within a few minutes at ambient oxygen levels as low as 4-6%..."

That paragraph was from this source titled, Forensic Analysis of Injury and Death by Asphyxiation which is one of many others out there:
https://www.tasanet.com/Knowledge-Ce...y-Asphyxiation

That racist, a-hole cop had his knee on that man's neck for 8 min & 48 sec. ANYONE, medical condition or not, would have been dead after ALL that time. Why didn't the cop just have his knee on his neck for 2 mins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies