Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:47 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Here is a fact. The only cop in Minneapolis ever convicted of murder is last year when a black Muslim Somalia imigrant cop shot a white woman running at him because he hear a loud noise. Wonder why he is the sole conviction
And it took months to arrest him. No riots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 07:53 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think this issue is really a police brutality issue and not a racial issue, but you will never convince black people that this is the case.

Bottom line is that if you hold police to a higher standard and hold them accountable, most of this racial or perceived racial based brutality will stop anyway. Police don't want to be held to a higher standard, especially their unions. That has to change.
It is racial to a significant degree but certainly not only racial. I agree with you that police do not want to be held to a higher standard but many out here do not want them held to a higher standard either. They back police no matter what their actions are and that exacerbates the problem. I’ve worked with excellent officers who do not have brutality issues, despite experiencing extremely difficult scenarios in the past. It does have to change or these issues will continue...

Old 06-04-2020, 09:09 AM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
and one is Asian. Thoughts and opinions?
One cop killed Floyd while the others stood by and let it happen. Doesn't matter what their race is.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:15 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yep. That’s how his white mother raised him. Depends on the home you come from.

His mother was American and plenty generational Americans hold onto the one drop rule. If he was raised with his Kenyan side, that likely would not have been the case. I myself come from a mixed family that immigrated to the U.S. and we don’t hold to the one-drop rule.
You may have already answered this with 'The One Drop Rule', but coming from a mixed family (maybe not broken as Obama's was) - what do you think of my response to moneill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Well then the following question is equally valid: did Obama ever see HIMSELF as a WHITE man?

He certainly seemed to grow up more in a non-Black environment: Obama was born to a WHITE mother, who moved with him (without his BLACK Kenyan father) to Seattle shortly after his birth. After her divorce from his father, his mother married an Indonesian (non-Black) man, and Obama lived in Jakarta from ages six to 10. His mother sent then sent him back, ALONE, to Hawaii were he was raised by his WHITE maternal grandparents until graduating from high-school.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Not only that, publicly expressing such can get you branded as a "racist," thereby risking employment and personal safety.

This is where we are now, in Democrat Terrorist America.
But in this case, what is the point of expressing? If you oppose police brutality and lack of accountability, wtf does that have to do with "Democrat terrorists?"

Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
You may have already answered this with 'The One Drop Rule', but coming from a mixed family (maybe not broken as Obama's was) - what do you think of my response to moneill?
Well, speaking specifically to your question, it’s unlikely that he ever considered himself a white man. He was raised by his white mother and family to consider himself black. That was American culture and racial perspective (one-drop rule).

Now had he been raised by his father’s side, I’m fairly certain he would have been raised as mixed, specifically both Luo and whatever white identity his mother held. The one-drop rule is hardly adhered to elsewhere, at least not to the same degree.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:21 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
Quote:
Well, speaking specifically to your question, it’s unlikely that he ever considered himself a white man. He was raised by his white mother and family to consider himself black. That was American culture and racial perspective (one-drop rule).
Thank you for your response. I honestly did not know that 'One Drop' can determine your Race. Maybe as I have never had that discussion with anyone, especially with my black friends.

What I guess I don't feel comfortable about 'One Drop' is that one may be able to 'switch' his/her Race, depending on the circumstance and whichever benefits most at the time. At least we called Liz Warren out! "One Drop, But Don't Flip Flop" ... hey I made a funny!

PS: you might find it interesting that when my mother was growing up in Nazi Germany, each family had to provide an Ahnenpaß ("Ancestor Pass") to prove that your parents and grandparents were not Jewish. I have my mother's family's Ahnenpaß, and it goes back six generations! Great for Ancestry.com, but not so great thinking you had to prove your 'purity' or get sent away (which happened to many of my mother's schoolmates )

Old 06-04-2020, 02:15 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
They should still be considered white supreeeeemists...

Old 06-04-2020, 04:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
and one is Asian. Thoughts and opinions?

An inconvenient truth

Old 06-04-2020, 04:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Yep. That’s how his white mother raised him. Depends on the home you come from.

His mother was American and plenty generational Americans hold onto the one drop rule. If he was raised with his Kenyan side, that likely would not have been the case. I myself come from a mixed family that immigrated to the U.S. and we don’t hold to the one-drop rule.
Obama self-identified as biracial/mixed race.

The one drop rule was a white supremacist rule to identify people who weren't racially "pure" (white). It's beyond me why mixed Americans want to adhere to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies