Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 05:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Yep. Someone I'd known IRL for thirty years told me that I didn't hate Trump enough to suit her and called me a racist and a sexist. I thanked her for unfriending me, both online and IRL.
Right. I get that, people are weird.

What's going on in this thread is the fear that a mob will come after you, you'll lose your job, etc., for making comments to acquaintances at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 05:36 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,250,294 times
No thanks, I like my books.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
Suggested, required, and banned reading is a moot point for an illiterate population.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:00 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,905,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Because I happen to know her. I wasn't asking for help from a stranger.

She categorizes herself as "non racist".

I haven't embraced "white guilt" at all, and I'm shocked at those white women washing other people's feet when they haven't done anything harmful to them, at all. I don't understand that kind of servile behavior.

I have nothing to make up for; I've not done harm. But I do recognize subtle racism when I see it and hear it, and people who say that kind of stuff have no idea. Like Biden's comment about poor kids do just as well in school as white kids. THAT was a window on his thought process.
Those sound like microagressions. I don't believe in the concept. It's just something invented by injustice collectors. Biden is a moron, not a racist. The thought process that invented microagressiosns has now lead to book burning. Eventually we will have thought crimes and re-education camps.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:56 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Those sound like microagressions. I don't believe in the concept. It's just something invented by injustice collectors. Biden is a moron, not a racist. The thought process that invented microagressiosns has now lead to book burning. Eventually we will have thought crimes and re-education camps.
We effectively have those now.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:04 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,434,150 times
I expect actual book burning at some point. I also expect progressives will defend it by saying that most books have been digitized, yada yada.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. The article is encouraging people to listen to (read) different voices than their own. To expand their literary diet to authors of color.

On that note, I googled the term mentioned, anti-racist books, and found a recent list. I've read a number of them, but found "White Fragility" - why white people are so uncomfortable with the topic of racism - to look interesting.

Checked whether my library has it. They have 5 copies, with 405 holds. So apparently the message is getting out.
"White fragility" is a garbage term created to halt debate and silence dissent.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
US conservatives, I swear...

- "Here's an article suggesting you add books with an anti-racist perspective to your library."

- "OMG!!! THEY'RE GOING TO BURN 'GONE WITH THE WIND'!"

Seriously.
We see where this is going. Three weeks ago none imagined that the police would abandon their stations and give their cities over to raging mobs. None imagined that city mayors and other elected officials would join the cry to "defund" the police. None imagined that long running television shows would be canceled due to the mob's feels.

We have seen for the past few years the sentiments and actions of the totalitarian left. Little is beyond the pale now.

We've noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies