Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 04:47 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

When people say they want to defund the police
are they not saying let the people arm themselves?

If all people are meant to arm themselves then
the Second Amendment can not be challenged by
State or Local Governments.

If States and Local Governments can not challenge
the Second Amendment then all American Citizens
have the right to own and carry a weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 04:55 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Some people are calling for abolishment yes. But that is not what is meant by the defund calls.

It doesn’t make sense for conservatives to oppose that. They want to do the same thing to every other public organization with a strong union that makes it near impossible to get rid of bad employees.
LOL .... Leftists want people to "reimagine" the meaning of words to make them more complementary to their arguments.

The following is leftist speak:

"Defund doesn't mean ""defund"" defund, we are just going to hijack the word to placate people who want to ABOLISH police while really only accomplishing a largely symbolic gesture of moving money around different government departments."

This will be the best political ad ever for Trump.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Good lord. If it doesn’t mean what it sounds like it means, then call it something else. Is it really productive to have millions of Americans believe we want to get rid of the police? Is that really going to help the Democrats’ election chances?

It’s just like the idiocy of saying all whites are complicit in a system of white supremacy (merely because they are alive and breathing), then wondering why not all whites are keen on joining your cause. Sure you can explain that by essentially calling all whites “white supremicists,” you are not making any value judgments, because it’s not about individuals but about a system. But if you have to explain, you are already losing ...
Whoever came up with the defund the police slogan deserves a When people want to defund Planned Parenthood or PBS, it's clear they mean no money for them, not move some money around or give some of their functions to other people. Along comes defund the police and defund doesn't mean defund. Place defund the police somewhere in this list of bad slogans:

[https://www.boredpanda.com/bad-weird...mpaign=organic

Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
liberal icon John Oliver Backs..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did he say anything about the pseudo-conservative icon Derek Chauvin?
Quote:
This British comedian is a liberal icon as much as the killer is an alt-right icon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Nice slight of hand, change from conservative to alt-right. Why do that? Even with that dishonesty, your statement remains absurd.
I never said conservative, I said pseudo-conservative, and then I added alt-right, but clearly the point of the post flew right over your head. Labeling random people as 'icons' is absurd indeed, and that was the point. Ironically you are ok with it, until it is thrown back in your own face.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:54 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
I never said conservative, I said pseudo-conservative, and then I added alt-right, but clearly the point of the post flew right over your head. Labeling random people as 'icons' is absurd indeed, and that was the point. Ironically you are ok with it, until it is thrown back in your own face.
John Oliver is a libera icon. Pretty much every young liberal watches him.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:16 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
The Left: Only police should have guns!

Also the Left: Defund police!

Old 06-09-2020, 11:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
John Oliver is a libera icon. Pretty much every young liberal watches him.
His highest ever viewership is 1 million, so I guess there aren't too many young liberals in US. Infowars, in the other hand hits 10 million average, so it is fair to say Alex Jones is a pseudo-conservative / alt-right icon.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:38 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Police were never meant to be mental health experts or marriage counselors. Police are meant to enforce the law. That’s it.. In what city/state do police offers get trained to be psychologists/psychiatrists on top of their police training? None. You’re just making crap up lol

Y’all basically wanting to abolish police. Y’all crazy! In what other country has this ever worked out?
No one is advocating abolishing police. Please do some research on what defunding actually means. I didn't know myself until I looked it up.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:39 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The Left: Only police should have guns!

Also the Left: Defund police!
Do you know what defund police means? It's worth researching. It doesn't mean abolishing police. But I know sometimes it's just easier to post talking points than to actually present a cogent argument with sources and links.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:47 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...stemic-racism/

John Oliver lives in NYC with his wife Kate Norley, and their 2 small children. He makes 5 Million Dollars a year. As soon as they defund the police I am sure he will be ok when peopel go over to his house and loot
It's weird how all the far-right conservative posters keep clinging to this idea of "defund police," taking it to the extreme.

The first and only city in the United States that has ACTUALLY said it will defund police, is the Minneapolis PD. And a senior city executive explained a few days ago, in great detail, that they will be reducing the budgets of military armament and vehicles and redistributing funds to community outreach in poor areas of the city.

If you can find a single elected official that says they mean to literally defund an entire police department and literally no longer have law enforcement in their city, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies