Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 02:55 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I don't understand your ignorance of the war. So the most brutal war in U.S. history that many civilians died and homes were destroyed because a small group fired at Fort Sumter? WTF dude. Miltary bases gets fired (bullets) at all the time around the world , that is not a reason to blow up entire countries full of civilians.

So Lincoln had No responsibility ordering a blockade on the South blocking food, medicine and special needs against civilians who had NO slaves and were poor farmers to choke them to death?

Lincoln had no responsibility when he sent federal troops to the South to destroy civilians homes and their crops? No responsibility?

Lincoln had NO responsibility in suspending the writ of habeas corpus that he jailed civilians and reporters North and South that criticized his war crimes without a trial and used it as a war tactic. NO responsibility.

You ever heard General William T. Sherman and his war crimes on the civilians in the South?

The definition of Secession: the action of withdrawing formally from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state.

Now you want to change the definition and history by saying that the South wanted the North to be under their government in 1 nation. That is not what happened.
Does anyone understand what SanJuanStar is trying to say here? I do not.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:58 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It was the confederacy that started the war, not Lincoln. Lincoln wasn’t a saint, but it’s pretty silly to blame him for the war.

I don’t understand what you are trying to say here. Lincoln did not “invade” the seceding states. The seceding states rebelled and formed the confederacy, which took up arms against the United States. If Lincoln had allowed that to happen without consequence, then the United States as a country would have effectively ceased to exist. Any state anywhere could have left the Union and become an independent country.
I wish a lot of the more-flagrant and more-simplistic "progressives" here would turn off Neil Young's caterwauling Southern Man and do a little research into the actual rise and fall of the ante bellum Sothern economy.

The simplistic picture of large plantations with whip-cracking field bosses and "slave breakers" never existed, save in a few regions where the land was not yet exhausted. Much of the Old South -- Virginia in particular -- had deteriorated to a point where slave breeding had supplanted slave agriculture as a source of income (though the institution of slavery itself persisted, but the writing was clearly on the wall).

In his work Go Down, Moses, William Faulkner spins a fictionalized tale (but likely one with real-life parallels) of the McCaslin brothers, who inherited past-its-prime land and a handful of slaves. Rather than simply give them their "freedom" (the Great Migration to the northern industrial cities was still half a century away), the entire operation continued as a subsistence farm, "slave" and "slaveholder" both sharing the burden and to a large extent, living off what they could produce together.

My point is not to depict either of these extremes as "typical" -- but the sheltered adolescents who come there to rail against all enterprise need to recognize that at the time, there weren't too many options open for those caught in a historical and economic "time warp".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-13-2021 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 03:10 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Blacks should have a little sympathy for the South? You mean, sympathy for the people who kept them in chains, forced them into hard manual labor without compensation, viciously whipped them, raped their women and killed them if they dared complain? Sympathy for the people that, after the end of Reconstruction, took away their rights to vote or hold office, burned their homes, bombed their churches, lynched them and kept them in segregation?

I suppose the Jewish occupants of the death camps should have a little sympathy for the Nazis because their towns got bombed? I suppose the victims of the Japanese "rape of Nanking" should have a little sympathy for the Japanese war lords? You're off the deep end on this one, Star!
I certainly can't have sympathy for the Confederacy. When I think about how my ancestors were enslaved, followed by the Reconstruction-era violence, and then Jim Crow, having any sympathy is a tall order for me. The South was wrong, period.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,657,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Always talk about 400 years of European slavery and how countries like America were built on slave labor yet there are TONS of other countries that, well before Europeans vastly benefited from slavery for literally thousands of years. Why the hell don't they get any flack for it? Why aren't their descendants not made to feel extremely guilty for thousands of years of slavery their ancestors caused? They complain about white supremacy yet I guess times when there was Arab supremacy during Islam's golden age where they enslaved millions including Africans was totally fine?
Except, they are. Every Portuguese person I have ever spoken to is keenly aware of the role their country played in establishing the transatlantic slave trade.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:19 PM

13,490 posts, read 4,310,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I certainly can't have sympathy for the Confederacy. When I think about how my ancestors were enslaved, followed by the Reconstruction-era violence, and then Jim Crow, having any sympathy is a tall order for me. The South was wrong, period.
how about any sympathy of the poor farmers in the South or any person who didn't own slaves? 1/10 of sympathy for them? Of course not. I got you read weeks ago.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:34 PM

Not as much is expected from other countries as the USA. The USA proclaimed from day one that it was a nation of freedom and democracy. Having slavery goes against all of that.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Lincoln didn’t fire on Fort Sumter.
He sure didn't. The Confederates did.

The way I see it, I'm happy the Confederates lost.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Does anyone understand what SanJuanStar is trying to say here? I do not.

Sympathy. The rest went over your head and now you want others to bail you out. Go to another topic. This is too deep for you.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He sure didn't. The Confederates did.

The way I see it, I'm happy the Confederates lost.
and your happy that many civilians in the South were killed, raped, messed up for life and their homes and crops(food to survive) destroyed. All that because a small group fired at a Fort. That makes logical sense.

It's like dropping endless bombs in Africa and killed millions of Africans (who most had no slaves) to end slavery and be happy about it. The logic of the so call "educated" people here.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:03 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Sympathy. The rest went over your head and now you want others to bail you out. Go to another topic. This is too deep for you.
It’s hard for me to have sympathy for the Confederate cause, which was the preservation of slavery. Too deep for me? Not really, I can read the secession declarations.

I can have sympathy for individuals who were caught up in that horrible war and lost their lives and property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies