Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, the biggest difference is that in places like Western Europe, Japan & South Korea, civilians aren't really allowed to own handguns. So, when the police make a traffic stop or respond to a call, they are generally very certain that they aren't dealing with a suspect that has a gun. That likely makes everyone involved less jumpy and less likely to make rash decisions. About the worst that they would encounter in the UK or Japan would be knives, as knifings apparently do happen at a decent rate in the UK. Still, it creates a totally different environment and I do believe a decent percentage of their officers don't even carry guns as a result, since they know they won't encounter suspects with guns. Now, I am not saying that I am anti-gun (before anyone jumps on me) but I just wanted to explain the primary cultural difference.
And this explains choking people to death or kn feeling on their necks until dead, how?

Listen I love to shoot. I grew up in a home where we started shooting at 5 years old.

We have a problem where for years, before the cell camera and body cams, where the cop basically could just say self defense. We need to understand why so many unarmed people are shot by the police, choked by the police, beaten by the police or mistreated in general.

One way to make headway is to have an outside agency investigate any cop related deaths. It takes away that perception of inequity. What doesn't work and it should be common sense is that allowing the police to police themselves doesn't work. Not because they are always covering crimes up for each other, but due to the very obvious conflict of interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 10:53 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,605,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
Procedure or law was violated?
they violated the oath they too to follow procedure and SOP. Breaking that oath is a chargeable offence.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:55 PM

1,037 posts, read 437,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
they violated the oath they too to follow procedure and SOP. Breaking that oath is a chargeable offence.
It may be a criminal offense, depends. More likely an Administrative matter.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The FBI should be kicking in the doors at the DNC and arresting these domestic terrorist !!!

Cut the head off the snake !!!
Brownshirt style, right?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:57 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,695,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
And this explains choking people to death or kn feeling on their necks until dead, how?

One way to make headway is to have an outside agency investigate any cop related deaths. It takes away that perception of inequity. What doesn't work and it should be common sense is that allowing the police to police themselves doesn't work. Not because they are always covering crimes up for each other, but due to the very obvious conflict of interests.

I wasn't trying to explain choking someone or kneeling on their necks. I would say it is pretty much a given that deaths involving the police are almost certainly overwhelmingly shootings, which is why I focused on guns in that particular post.

What do you consider to be an "outside agency" for investigative purposes? In the case being discussed here (the Brooks case), the Atlanta police had to call "GBI", which I am sure stands for Georgia Bureau of Investigation. They are a state agency that specifically investigates these types of incidents so that the investigation isn't handle by the department (APD) involved and potentially covered up but is handled by a 3rd party - GBI. Are you wanting someone other than GBI to investigate police-related shootings in Georgia?

Old 06-17-2020, 11:01 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,689,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Give us the top ten that were convicted on violating the oath !!! Cop or politician !!!

Here is one I found and it was in Ga. too !!!

https://www.news4jax.com/news/georgi...out-of-prison/

Old 06-17-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Our society is asking and expecting police officers to enforce laws, and sometimes have to inflict necessary violence in order to enforce law on our behalf. Yet, you are expecting police to hold to the exact same standard like a regular citizen? Do you call neighbor or friend to deal with a drunk or people with potential for violence?
NO, I expect that the police be held to a higher standard than we would hold a thug. Other first world police departments seem to manage policing their populations without the necessity to overlook excesses or give license to them.

No I don't call my neighbor to deal with criminals. If I did that I would be as bad as the idiots that killed Arbery and I would be arrested for it.

Look I get that the police have a tough job. I respect most cops and have several that I call friend. Hell my personal shooting range was an informal range for most of the local cops in my area.I can also tell you that many of them were barely familiar with their side arms. Looking for the safety at times. If I was king I would demand a higher level of knowledge.

Do you feel that it is acceptable for cops to investigate you like you are the next mass murder, with a tenacity likely to leave your name ruined and financially destitute, but when they investigate each other, its a different approach?

All I am saying is that the police need to be held accountable for when they screw up. People are dying needlessly. I have seen nothing yet that indicates that Brooks was a deadly threat. If Tasers are so deadly why do cops use them so often claiming it is non-lethal force?

Brooks was a waste of human flesh. The cops were exemplary up until the shooting. Was that shooting their only recourse? Don't you think that shooting someone should be their only recourse when they do it? Other first world nations think so.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Give us the top ten that were convicted on violating the oath !!! Cop or politician !!!
No contest. Politician. I don't know of an honest politician today.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
We are talking about this case, not some nebulous yesterday or tomorrow. This case. Concentrate!

Old 06-17-2020, 11:07 PM

6,130 posts, read 2,750,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNam3 View Post
Trump needs to pardon ASAP.
Trump can only pardon if its under federal jurisdiction if its State then its up to Kemp to pardon him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies