Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 03:26 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Dangerous yes , lethal no. He was not going to die. A taser would be redundant if it was indeed deemed to be lethal. Why not just give them two side arms. Maybe a second small one just for varmints.
A dangerous weapon allows for use of deadly force. A cop not anyone has to risk getting tased, then worse case scenario, the gun taken away and shot to death.

In this case, Brooks just assaulted two cops and took a taser, potential is there to taser one cop, steal the gun, or fight the other cop one on one and get his gun, then shoot one or both.

But the cop has a few seconds to assess the entire situation and act on it, we can sit here comfortable and analyze it for hours on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:18 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Being arrested and being charged are different things.
LOL a very fine line. Tell that to the many who have made the paper only to have the charges dropped after an investigation.

Like I told someone else, other first world countries have found a way to police their citizens differently. maybe we should consider changing our methods a little. I love my country and want us to be as good or better than our peers. The only thing holding us back is the willingness to evolve.

Our police related killings are comparable to 3rd world countries. That isn't something to be proud of.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A dangerous weapon allows for use of deadly force. A cop not anyone has to risk getting tased, then worse case scenario, the gun taken away and shot to death.

In this case, Brooks just assaulted two cops and took a taser, potential is there to taser one cop, steal the gun, or fight the other cop one on one and get his gun, then shoot one or both.

But the cop has a few seconds to assess the entire situation and act on it, we can sit here comfortable and analyze it for hours on end.
They knew the taser had been fired twice and was useless. Besides, we keep hearing from police that the taser is not a deadly weapon.

They did not inform him he was under arrest, hence a number of the charges against them. Also, Rolfe fired into an innocent bystanders car with 3 occupants in that.

Do you condone him doing that?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:28 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The last thing this cop wanted to do was to have to go back to the police station and have to tell everyone that a drunk beat me up, unarmed me, and ran off with my "weapon." Hell I might shoot him too rather than have to do that. Lets be honest that why some of these young black men get killed by police.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:29 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
They knew the taser had been fired twice and was useless. Besides, we keep hearing from police that the taser is not a deadly weapon.

They did not inform him he was under arrest, hence a number of the charges against them. Also, Rolfe fired into an innocent bystanders car with 3 occupants in that.

It's been verified even by the DA that the tazer did fire probes and wasn't depleted. Stop repeating false information.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It’s the PERCEPTION that they use lethal force so often. Out of encounters with 50 million people last year, only 30 unarmed people were killed, 9 of them black. There is an-of-control agenda, driven by liberals for purposes of winning the election, that police are killing people (who are not threatening their lives) left and right, when it truth it is exceedingly rare. That is due to the restraint and correct decision-making, in a 1/2 second, that 99.9999% of police make when dealing with violent and often drunk/high criminals.
The police related killings in the United States is very high compared to our first world peers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_by_country

Even Mexico has lower police related deaths than we do. That is something to think about.

Look at Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Canada and France for a fair comparison. WE don't measure up. Why? Is it that Americans are inherently worse people? I don't believe that. I believe that we are far more accepting of police related deaths.

City Data is a good indicator of what part of the problem is. A blind support for law enforcement. A cop uses a Taser on an 11 year old child and many will say, the kid was out of control. Those same folks will say the Taser isn't dangerous. Then in the next breath, he fired a taser at a cop, that was a deadly threat.

They were running, the cop could have simply dropped back a step or 2 and the any taser threat would have been eliminated.

A cop kneels on a mans neck, killing the man, remains kneeling on the neck after the man is dead and people still defend it. No the police should not be killing people by kneeling on their necks, using choke holds, or shoving broom sticks up their rectums.

WE can be better than that and that is my point. Questioning and investigating a cops use of lethal force, every time it happens should be a norm. It shouldn't take civil unrest for an outside agency to look into a death by cop. We can't allow the police to police themselves. It just doesn't work.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's been verified even by the DA that the tazer did fire probes and wasn't depleted. Stop repeating false information.
After he shot the one we saw on the video, it was depleted. Listen to what the DA said. Quit spreading fake news.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

In Georgia, a taser is considered a deadly weapon. This same D.A. said so previously.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's also verified that a Taser has a maximum of 15 feet of range. Why couldn't the cop simply have dropped back a step or 2 in his pursuit?

How many times was the taser fired? I believe it was twice. Some models can be fired 3 times. I don't know what model they were using.

I struggle with the shoot because they had the man's car, his ID, where he lived, and if witnesses are correct the taser had already been fired twice before the shoot. A taser is easily defeated by distance. 15 feet or 5 yards.

I don't believe the cop should be charged, I do believe that he was too quick to resort to lethal force.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It's also verified that a Taser has a maximum of 15 feet of range. Why couldn't the cop simply have dropped back a step or 2 in his pursuit?
So just let the armed suspect get away? That's not normal procedure, to keep distance and let the criminal get away, wait and see if tazer misses or not etc. The criminal fired a potentially deadly weapon and got what he deserved. The officer did nothing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies