Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 05:06 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,697,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
True, especially since the cop who shot Brooks was not the one who was disarmed of his taser.
That just makes it sound worse, "this drunk beat both of us up and took my partners deadly weapon and got away." It had to be the most embarrassing display of serving and protecting I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 05:12 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
That just makes it sound worse, "this drunk beat both of us up and took my partners deadly weapon and got away." It had to be the most embarrassing display of serving and protecting I have ever seen.
There is no shame in treating people with respect. They were certainly caught off guard and overestimated the dead felons decency. When they are back on the job I'm sure they won't provide the same level of lenience to criminals.

Decent people don't find it embarrassing.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:16 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,586,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The police related killings in the United States is very high compared to our first world peers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_by_country

Even Mexico has lower police related deaths than we do. That is something to think about.

Look at Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Canada and France for a fair comparison. WE don't measure up. Why? Is it that Americans are inherently worse people? I don't believe that. I believe that we are far more accepting of police related deaths.

City Data is a good indicator of what part of the problem is. A blind support for law enforcement. A cop uses a Taser on an 11 year old child and many will say, the kid was out of control. Those same folks will say the Taser isn't dangerous. Then in the next breath, he fired a taser at a cop, that was a deadly threat.

They were running, the cop could have simply dropped back a step or 2 and the any taser threat would have been eliminated.

A cop kneels on a mans neck, killing the man, remains kneeling on the neck after the man is dead and people still defend it. No the police should not be killing people by kneeling on their necks, using choke holds, or shoving broom sticks up their rectums.

WE can be better than that and that is my point. Questioning and investigating a cops use of lethal force, every time it happens should be a norm. It shouldn't take civil unrest for an outside agency to look into a death by cop. We can't allow the police to police themselves. It just doesn't work.

Part of this is the mentality of some police departments that the public is the enemy. Police training focuses on dealing with the worst case scenarios but 90+ percent of the job is just public interaction and de-escalation. Rayshard could have run away and just been picked up in a day or two. He is not getting away with anything. No unarmed citizens should die from traffic stops or mental health/drug issues.

The whole shoot first and to kill not wound is a wartime mindset that in wildly inappropriate in most policing.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
There is no shame in treating people with respect. They were certainly caught off guard and overestimated the dead felons decency. When they are back on the job I'm sure they won't provide the same level of lenience to criminals.

Decent people don't find it embarrassing.
If they ran his plates they knew who they were dealing with and should not have been caught off guard. Police officers in the south are probably among the lowed paid in the United States. I guess you get what you pay pay for.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
If they ran his plates they knew who they were dealing with and should not have been caught off guard. Police officers in the south are probably among the lowed paid in the United States. I guess you get what you pay pay for.
Yes the pay is very poor in the south for Police. Fortunately despite that, they are able to attract quality people like the two that tried to treat the dead felon with respect. I'm sure once they are proven innocent they will enjoy a nice payout from the City given the egregious slanderous lies by the DA.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:36 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,565,103 times
Quote:
Meh, they still got the job done though and the child abuser will never drive drunk or beat his wife and kids ever again.

It's a positive outcome.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Meh, they still got the job done though and the child abuser will never drive drunk or beat his wife and kids ever again.

It's a positive outcome.
It will be interesting to see an assessment of the cost of letting these covid crims out of prison across the Country.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post

It's a positive outcome.
Makes one wonder why there are so many black; child abusers, drunks, felons, and wife beaters locked up. Can't police just find creative ways to kill all of them before they are arrested? It would be just like the good old days when colored folk had more fear of the police.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,565,103 times
Quote:
Make one wonder why there are so many black; child abusers, drunks, felons, and wife beaters locked up. Can't police just find creative ways to kill all of them before they are arrested?
Well most people aren't as dumb and violent as Rayshard Brooks was, even most drunk child abusers aren't that dumb or violent, most people just get arrested rather than attacking the cops. Brooks was especially awful, which is why his death makes the world a better place.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Makes one wonder why there are so many black; child abusers, drunks, felons, and wife beaters locked up. Can't police just find creative ways to kill all of them before they are arrested? It would be just like the good old days when colored folk had more fear of the police.
No one really wonders this. Everyone knows there isn't systemic racism. Good of you to acknowledge it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies