Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 05:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That literally has nothing to do with the case, lol.

Any way, great, they should have been indicted, they are guilty in some degree of killing him.
Some degree? In every degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 05:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Its been revealed that Ahmaud was there on other occasions as well to drink water while on his jogs.

Also, new police footage has been released.

Published on Dec 15, 2020
Newly-obtained body camera footage appears to contradict the account presented by one of the men charged in Ahmaud Arbery's killing. William "Roddie" Bryan filmed Gregory and Travis McMichael chasing down and shooting Arbery in February. Bryan's attorney has insisted his client was "never more than a witness" to Arbery's death. Omar Villafranca reports on the new video that suggests Bryan was more involved.

Police had footage all along of Roddie clearly making statements to them where he was more than a witness.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRMa97psggk
I think the intent of the chase is the big issue here. Were they just trying to harass the guy? Were they trying to stop what they thought was a crime in progress? That’s what I would focus on as a juror.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 12-30-2020, 05:53 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Some degree? In every degree.
Lol
Since this incident happened, the police force there has been under hot water with all kinds of corruption and scandals exposed.

Prior allegations of misconduct by local authorities

Following Arbery's killing, media investigated the history of the GCPD.[5][107] The New York Times noted that in preceding years, the department had "been accused of covering up allegations of misconduct, tampering with a crime scene, interfering in an investigation of a police shooting and retaliating against fellow officers who cooperated with outside investigators."[5]

Days after Arbery was fatally shot, the chief of police, – who had been brought in to clean up a police force described by the county manager in 2019 as poorly trained and characterized by a "culture of cronyism", – was indicted on charges arising from an alleged cover-up of a sexual relationship between an officer and an informant.[5] In response to a grand jury report issued in November 2019, which had condemned the GCPD over "alleged officer misconduct and poor coordination with the local sheriff's office", State Senator William Ligon of Brunswick in early 2020 introduced legislation to allow voters to abolish the Glynn county police department. Although the legislation initially stalled in the General Assembly, after the legislature returned following the COVID-19 recess, the House passed the legislation 152-3.[108][109]

Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Had they not made the decision to chase him down with vehicles and weapons in the first place with intent (guns and anger a-blazing as vigilantes), there would not have been an encounter. It's clear from the video (and their own words) they weren't going to allow him to 'get away'.

As a white dude (particularly one who jogs), I can't imagine the thoughts racing in Abery's mind as he attempted to escape two vehicles/armed men chasing him down (particularly knowing he hadn't stolen anything). He had every right to defend himself (as futile as it was); in fact, what choice did he have?
He could have run towards a house. Gee that was hard.

I get it though, you don't think he 's smart enough to think of that because he's black.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think the intent of the chase is the big issue here. Were they just trying to harass the guy? Were they trying to stop what they thought was a crime in progress? That’s what I would focus on as a juror.
Poor judgement on the McMichaels part and poor judgement by Arbery. Both should have known better.

I've been back and forth on this. The kicker, imo, was that they had the opportunity to call the cops but choose not too. I think that will be there undoing.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 12-30-2020 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Lol
Since this incident happened, the police force there has been under hot water with all kinds of corruption and scandals exposed.

Prior allegations of misconduct by local authorities

Following Arbery's killing, media investigated the history of the GCPD.[5][107] The New York Times noted that in preceding years, the department had "been accused of covering up allegations of misconduct, tampering with a crime scene, interfering in an investigation of a police shooting and retaliating against fellow officers who cooperated with outside investigators."[5]

Days after Arbery was fatally shot, the chief of police, – who had been brought in to clean up a police force described by the county manager in 2019 as poorly trained and characterized by a "culture of cronyism", – was indicted on charges arising from an alleged cover-up of a sexual relationship between an officer and an informant.[5] In response to a grand jury report issued in November 2019, which had condemned the GCPD over "alleged officer misconduct and poor coordination with the local sheriff's office", State Senator William Ligon of Brunswick in early 2020 introduced legislation to allow voters to abolish the Glynn county police department. Although the legislation initially stalled in the General Assembly, after the legislature returned following the COVID-19 recess, the House passed the legislation 152-3.[108][109]
Yea, this was coming up when the shooting went down. I wonder how long this wrong doing has been going on?

When you don't hold people accountable they won't be.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He could have run towards a house. Gee that was hard.
What a tired/irrelevant/ridiculous spin on an indictment of murder i.e. it's the victim's fault for not escaping an armed three-on-one scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

When you don't hold people accountable they won't be.
Yep, rather than make excuses i.e. 'the victim should have gotten away'.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 12-31-2020 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-31-2020, 03:18 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
What a tired/irrelevant/ridiculous spin on an indictment of murder i.e. it's the victim's fault for not escaping an armed three-on-one scenario.

Yep, rather than make excuses i.e. 'the victim should have gotten away'.
That’s what these people do, consistently blame the victim. Especially if it’s a black man.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:29 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
For everyone that questions why police forces are being made to re-evaluate how they handle situations this is a perfect example. These people were given a pass on murder because they were what reserve police, former police, dumb red-necks with connections? That any person regardless of race should have to worry that while jogging the Cracker Barrel Bunch is going to play vigilante on them for no valid reason what so ever and get away with it is unthinkable. This isn't the first time that this has happened and its not going to be the last but maybe this will bring about changes to save the next person.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
The guy filming it? Claims he was only a witness. NO, he was a participant and a proud participant until he had to answer for a wrongful death. The other 2 mouth breathers, their actions speak for themselves. They went a hunting and they bagged themselves a runner. I hope the shooter and his pappy get enjoy prison, they certainly deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies