Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 01:15 AM

11,751 posts, read 6,124,466 times

Advertisements

Why do people freak out about other people not wearing masks?

If you really believe that a cloth scarf wrapped loosely around your face protects you from ridiculously tiny atomized dropplets of infectious material, then what do you care if someone else is spreading them around you. If you think your breath saturated wet facial scarf is still a barrier from infection (which in very plain fact it isn't), then why worry about someone elses breath saturated wet facial scarf? You are fully protected wearing that diaper on your face, right?

So why do masked people freak out when others don't wear masks?

When I was wearing a half-face respirator for which I received 48 hours HAZWOPPER training and a fit test with banana smoke, I didn't care that the lead-contaminated, polyvinylcloride saturated earth material I was working in didn't wear a mask. I knew I was 100% protected myself.

So why do masked people freak out when other people don't wear a mask? Aren't they protected from harm by their own mask? Or don't they believe that. Because if your mask doesn't protect you from him, then his mask doesn't protect you either. You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 01:44 AM

37,181 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Why do people freak out about other people not wearing masks?

If you really believe that a cloth scarf wrapped loosely around your face protects you from ridiculously tiny atomized dropplets of infectious material, then what do you care if someone else is spreading them around you. If you think your breath saturated wet facial scarf is still a barrier from infection (which in very plain fact it isn't), then why worry about someone elses breath saturated wet facial scarf? You are fully protected wearing that diaper on your face, right?

So why do masked people freak out when others don't wear masks?

When I was wearing a half-face respirator for which I received 48 hours HAZWOPPER training and a fit test with banana smoke, I didn't care that the lead-contaminated, polyvinylcloride saturated earth material I was working in didn't wear a mask. I knew I was 100% protected myself.

So why do masked people freak out when other people don't wear a mask? Aren't they protected from harm by their own mask? Or don't they believe that. Because if your mask doesn't protect you from him, then his mask doesn't protect you either. You can't have it both ways.
My mask protects him from me. His mask protects me from him. With both of us masked, there are two barriers between us. Combine that with keeping distance from each other and hand hygiene, and the risk of either of us getting infected is greatly reduced. Not 100%, but a lot less risk.

Bandannas are not ideal. It is possible to DIY effective cloth masks, though.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:57 AM

303 posts, read 111,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My mask protects him from me. His mask protects me from him.
If you want to rationalize it that way, you both can consent to that game.

But you don't get to demand your medical devices be placed onto the vital breathing airways of nonconsenting others just because it eases your mind.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,828,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If you're doing blue collar, physical work . They ARE a pain in the rear to wear. I'll agree with that.
You're supposed to wear the mask on your face, not on your rear.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundstar View Post

But you don't get to demand your medical devices be placed onto the vital breathing airways of nonconsenting others just because it eases your mind.
No rationalization involved. There is plenty of information here on CD about the way masks work.

Be my guest.

Masks will not harm your "vital breathing airways."

https://digg.com/2020/do-masks-reduc...n-to-your-body

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

Old 07-19-2020, 03:41 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,129,886 times
Quote:

https://twitter.com/MurseWordsworth/...673888258?s=20

Still not talking about this?

Old 07-19-2020, 07:17 AM

29,611 posts, read 14,742,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I never heard this kind of outcry over "No shirts, no shoes no dice". The mask thing has become political.

I wonder what trumpees would do if he started wearing a mask and advocating that others did the same. The whiplash would be painful!
And you are guilty of it. 90% of the people I know, including my wife and I are Trump supporters and not a single one of us has an issue with wearing masks, in businesses or when in close proximity to others. I won't wear it in my car, or when I'm biking, or out walking though.

It's easy to hate a group when you frame them in a certain picture. It's something both sides do, but currently the left has taken it to new levels. If I never knew a thing about a Trump supporter other than what I saw on the media, or even here , I'd think they were all overweight, drive jacked up trucks that pollute the environment, barely graduated HS, are low income, and are not compliant with COVID protocols.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
Many studies, medical experts, and box inserts say that masks are not effective.
Source?

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

Old 07-19-2020, 08:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,391,086 times
Quote:

True, but we can think (and write) about what scum those selfish jerks are.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:12 AM

29,611 posts, read 14,742,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP2020 View Post
I’m not sure how you’ve missed because it’s been said for months but masks don’t protect you from getting a virus (unless it’s an N95), they stop you from SPREADING viruses. So masks aren’t useful unless everyone wears them. It’s amazing how with all the education out there people still miss these basic facts.
First off, i'm not against the mask thing, something is better than nothing. Your explanation doesn't make sense though.
You state that unless one is wearing an N95 , they can still get the virus. But, it is to prevent the spread of the virus. Well, if one isn't wearing an N95 mask, can't they still contract it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies