Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:44 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
The same thing is happening in the aftermath of Trump's Tulsa rally. Your point is?
link pls.
the rally was 9 days ago. it takes around 2 weeks for symptoms to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
One Trump rally, and dozens of BLM rallies and protests (which are still continuing night and day).
the latter are completely visible to them, but the former is as bright as the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
One Trump rally, and dozens of BLM rallies and protests (which are still continuing night and day).
There is no published data on the trump rally spread. There is data from a months worth of blm protests. Conclusion is blm protests have not caused a spike in the 280 communities in which they occurred. This of course may change.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
I think a lot of states are withholding their true COVID numbers
People say it’s “not as bad as reported” I think it’s probably worse

Old 06-29-2020, 09:14 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I'm sorry, you cannot blame the rise in cases on reopening while claiming the riots and protests had nothing to do with it. You're just exposing your partisan hackery.
where did I say the riots had nothing to do with it. Actually the riots had nothing to do with it because their were no riots in Houston. Their was at least one minor clash with protesters and a few people got arrested, but noone was rioting like you saw in NYC, Minneapolis and L.A.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-other-cities/

All i'm saying I know less than 5 people who went to the protests and only 1 went to the main protest in Houston with 60,000 people, non of them got coronavirus, I know dozens who went to Galveston Beach and the virus was having a party there, entire families that went to Galveston got coronavirus (Many of them were not only at the beach and in the water but also inside restaurants and various activities around Galveston). You guys are really overestimating how the virus spreads outdoors. Of course protesters would get the virus their was 60,000 people just at the main protest, but the spike in Houston is not completely attributed to the protests. Houston's as I said had one of if not the lowest rates in the country.

I can prove it, while the super-majority of protesters in Houston weren't black, their was definitely an over-representation of protesters who were black, black folk weren't largely over-represented in the number of cases, of the known races of folks with COVID.

3.8k are black, 4k are white, 8.9k are Hispanic, and .7k are Asia.
The county is 26% Black, 33% White, 41% Hispanic and 6% Asian.
The demographics of Covid in percentages are- 22% Black, 23% White, 51% Hispanic, 4% Asian

The only group overrepresented is Hispanics, now you can claim it was mostly Hispanic folk at the protests, but the map of cases correlates much more with population density than any historic black or hispanic neighborhoods, in other words density is more of a cause and Hispanic folk just tend to live in the denser neighborhooods of Houston. Your not even seeing the neighborhoods closer into the city, where protesters at the main march would have been disproportionately from having higher rates of Covid-19.
The map is below, so how could you claim the majority of the rise in Houston has been linked to the protests when all empirical statistics show otherwise.

Now you could claim all those of unknown race are actually black, but it doesn't reflect that at all on the heat map, with areas like the Third Ward which is the largest historically black neighborhood, George Floyd's old stomping grounds, and the closest to the protests out of all the black/blacker areas of Houston and also home to some of the large funeral procession showing less cases than you would expect city-wide.

https://harriscounty.maps.arcgis.com...29dfc819048550

Old 06-29-2020, 10:02 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
where did I say the riots had nothing to do with it. Actually the riots had nothing to do with it because their were no riots in Houston. Their was at least one minor clash with protesters and a few people got arrested, but noone was rioting like you saw in NYC, Minneapolis and L.A.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-other-cities/

All i'm saying I know less than 5 people who went to the protests and only 1 went to the main protest in Houston with 60,000 people, non of them got coronavirus, I know dozens who went to Galveston Beach and the virus was having a party there, entire families that went to Galveston got coronavirus (Many of them were not only at the beach and in the water but also inside restaurants and various activities around Galveston). You guys are really overestimating how the virus spreads outdoors. Of course protesters would get the virus their was 60,000 people just at the main protest, but the spike in Houston is not completely attributed to the protests. Houston's as I said had one of if not the lowest rates in the country.

I can prove it, while the super-majority of protesters in Houston weren't black, their was definitely an over-representation of protesters who were black, black folk weren't largely over-represented in the number of cases, of the known races of folks with COVID.

3.8k are black, 4k are white, 8.9k are Hispanic, and .7k are Asia.
The county is 26% Black, 33% White, 41% Hispanic and 6% Asian.
The demographics of Covid in percentages are- 22% Black, 23% White, 51% Hispanic, 4% Asian

The only group overrepresented is Hispanics, now you can claim it was mostly Hispanic folk at the protests, but the map of cases correlates much more with population density than any historic black or hispanic neighborhoods, in other words density is more of a cause and Hispanic folk just tend to live in the denser neighborhooods of Houston. Your not even seeing the neighborhoods closer into the city, where protesters at the main march would have been disproportionately from having higher rates of Covid-19.
The map is below, so how could you claim the majority of the rise in Houston has been linked to the protests when all empirical statistics show otherwise.

Now you could claim all those of unknown race are actually black, but it doesn't reflect that at all on the heat map, with areas like the Third Ward which is the largest historically black neighborhood, George Floyd's old stomping grounds, and the closest to the protests out of all the black/blacker areas of Houston and also home to some of the large funeral procession showing less cases than you would expect city-wide.

https://harriscounty.maps.arcgis.com...29dfc819048550
This wave, or new leg up on the first wave, appears to be impacting Hispanics disproportionately in the Phoenix metro as well. Most of the Phoenix demonstrators were white. Some theories are that Latino culture has stronger family ties with big family gatherings for graduations, birthdays etc, combined with jobs that put them in the essential category more prone to exposure.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:44 AM

17,616 posts, read 6,900,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
If protests were the cause for spikes, then explain nyc, nj, dc, chicago, pennsylvania. These are all major cities/states with no spikes, yet had massive protests. Go.
I believe it's because the blue states and the media are lying about the numbers in blue states, just like they lie about everything else.

Keep in mind that the media awarded itself numerous Pulitzer Prizes over their 3 year long+ coverage of the Russian collusion hoax, every bit of which has been proven to be a lie.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:12 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I believe it's because the blue states and the media are lying about the numbers in blue states, just like they lie about everything else.

Keep in mind that the media awarded itself numerous Pulitzer Prizes over their 3 year long+ coverage of the Russian collusion hoax, every bit of which has been proven to be a lie.
But it’s not the media that reports the numbers. It’s the hospitals and labs that are required to send in their data daily. Then it’s posted on the state dashboard. The media gets their data from the same source as the governors, you and me. It’s how they figure what resources go to which communities and what phase of lockdown.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
But it’s not the media that reports the numbers. It’s the hospitals and labs that are required to send in their data daily. Then it’s posted on the state dashboard. The media gets their data from the same source as the governors, you and me. It’s how they figure what resources go to which communities and what phase of lockdown.
Oh they're lying too!! Everyone is lying except Trump, who never lies about anything.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I think even if only 60% of ppl wore masks at protests, outside, you'd be a lot more protected than standing in a bar with 30 people.
Of course.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Always thought protesting during a pandemic was a bad idea. I get the frustration but nah.. this virus doesn’t care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies