Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:56 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
NYC tracers have been instructed not to ask if people were at protests. With data skewed like that, you don’t know.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...t-2020-6%3famp
correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 03:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
But fact is cases are not going up and declining in some states where restrictions are in place. And they all had protesters...so there is way more to the picture you are ignoring.

But I do see it as politically convenient to blame protesters.
No one is saying the protests are the only reason for the spike, but if anyone thinks they didn’t contribute to it is showing a spectacular lack of common sense. Or they are just being disingenuous and political themselves.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:03 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Of course they did. It is not 'politically convenient' to blame protesters for engaging in the behavior the rest of us were forbidden to do for three months, because 'it could literally kill someone' (Cuomo).

If they got sick from the protests, that would be because gathering in large crowds of people who are in close contact, shouting, and not all masked, is how Covid spreads. No exceptions.

If people in other cities did not get sick from the SAME behavior, which is a KNOWN factor in transmission, then we have only to conclude there is some other factor responsible. It is dishonest to say that 'all of the protesters wore masks.' The protests also became parties where people ate and drank, so there's that. And the rioting...which is a strenuous aerobic activity, so masking is difficult.

It could be that the cities not experiencing an uptick had such a complete saturation of their community with Covid already, that there is some level of herd immunity not reflected by antibody tests (not all people who recover from Covid have antibodies). It could also be some other reason we don't know yet.

Cities experiencing upticks but not linking it to protests could also be cities where contact tracers are not asking about protests.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:03 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
The more younger people become exposed the closer we are to herd immunity. All this talk of young people spreading it but these are the people we need to be exposed. It has been shown that the virus does not cause them much trouble and if our youth all become exposed they will help the country develop the herd immunity that will protect their elders. I say let they young people congregate....let nature fix this.

I just hope they are smart enough to not go visit grandma right now though.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:07 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The more younger people become exposed the closer we are to herd immunity. All this talk of young people spreading it but these are the people we need to be exposed. It has been shown that the virus does not cause them much trouble and if our youth all become exposed they will help the country develop the herd immunity that will protect their elders. I say let they young people congregate....let nature fix this.

Don’t bet on it.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:10 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

And that grandma and grandpa are smart enough to limit their exposure to young people who are the essential workers in the essential services they require, taking precautions such as wearing well fitting N95 masks (oops, we still don't have any of them). And then there are all the middle age people that they work with. Oh my, it just isn't that easy.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:12 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
But fact is cases are not going up and declining in some states where restrictions are in place. And they all had protesters...so there is way more to the picture you are ignoring.

But I do see it as politically convenient to blame protesters.
My state is in Phase 2 and ready for Phase 3 on Wednesday. Cases and deaths are dropping substantially after six weeks of relative “open”, and despite the big increase in testing, and positives are only 5%. I believe the governor is desperately looking for more cases so he can keep things closed, but he just can’t find enough.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Shocking.

https://www.newsweek.com/houston-pro...WlqbgI5K-xZW5M

Houston Protesters Begin to Fall Ill With Coronavirus After Marching for George Floyd

Increasing numbers of Houston residents have reportedly been diagnosed with COVID-19 after attending protests against the death of George Floyd...

Old 06-28-2020, 04:40 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
There is not enough information at this time to blame the entire protest for the increase in Covid cases in Houston.

Restaurants and bars have also been opened, and so have shopping centers.

We were told by the county to wear masks just last Friday. The county judge and the governor have been in a pissing contest about masks for the last 3 weeks. The governor congratulated the county judge for finally figuring out she could not require masks but the businesses could. But then Friday, she could require them.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:41 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And that grandma and grandpa are smart enough to limit their exposure to young people who are the essential workers in the essential services they require, taking precautions such as wearing well fitting N95 masks (oops, we still don't have any of them). And then there are all the middle age people that they work with. Oh my, it just isn't that easy.
It really is the only solution though. We cannot lock everyone in their homes for a year. You cannot stop something this contagious. It will absolutely run through our population no matter what precautions are taken. Is it not better for the young to be more exposed as to let those best fit to handle it become immune?

We cannot lockdown for 1-2 years. We can slow it a bit by reducing crowd sizes but that is about it. In the end herd immunity will be what stops it. Protests, spring breakers, bar goers, political rally attendees are volunteering to help the cause. I say let em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies