Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 12:38 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This is hyperbole. Honestly in the USA now, there are a lot more opportunities to be financially independent than there ever were. I think what's dying is walking into a job, sitting down at a desk for 35-40 years, and then walking away with a pension. Yeah, that's dying, but that doesn't mean the dream is dead.
However, the middle class has historically not been driven by those types of jobs; mostly blue collar, manufacturing, etc...

What you are describing is a relatively recent occurrence...

If it was difficult back then.. even more so now with even educated people slipping into lower incomes much less blue collar or skilled labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 01:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Protest do no good. They're a waste of time, and while it's good for TV and drama, they really don't result in any real change. At best the powers that be will just throw you a bone. For example, if Chauvin gets convicted, that's effectively throwing you a bone. The powers that be will always have a few sacrificial lambs if the natives are getting too restless. Once you get that lamb, people will shut up, quiet down, and go back to their normal lives. This is until another case of police brutality happens.

The reality is protest are really saying one thing "please feel sorry for me". And it's saying "please be nice enough to do what I say". And that's it. That is no way to change your circumstances in this country. There is only 2 ways to make real change in this country

1) Get rich
2) Create a lobby

Ever been to Washington, DC in the last 10 years? Tons and tons of office buildings, and I'm willing to bet a vast majority of them are lobbying firms. They exist for a reason people. Take advantage. Black people should take a note from Gays and Jewish people. Both have huge lobbies in Washington, DC and both get very special treament from the government. This is not a coiencidence.

It's hard to change the narrative about you in this country. Perceptions of blacks being criminals will persist, even if there were no crime in the hood. That's just set in people's mind, and as long as that's what the media portrays, that's how it's going to be.

With that said, you don't have to be treated fairly in this country to get rich in this country. Invest, save, and take a few calculated risk, and you should build a fortune, no matter how the deck i stacked against you. Once you become rich, get about 50 to 100 indepdently wealthy black people. Start a small PAC, and start swaying the political pendulum in your favor.

A lot of people, particularly authoritarian conservatives love to talk about blood, soil, and heritage matter. The reality is that doesn't matter, and has never mattered. What matters is money. America is only America because our forefathers wanted to keep their money and pay less taxes. Civil war was fought for money. Civil rights only happened because there was enough big money and sponsorship behind it. Nothing happens in this country without money being the motive.

Protest are pointless. Money talks.
Protests are very "old school".

If it means being heard - great. Mission accomplished. Now what?

I think we can do more to help ourselves than any white person can do.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
The solution is simple: education

Signed,
Prosperous Asian Americans and African immigrants

Old 06-30-2020, 01:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The solution is simple: education

Signed,
Prosperous Asian Americans and African immigrants

Doesn't sound like you read my original post

Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
If trying and failing over and over, there is a much deeper issue that can’t be fixed.

You're right. The deeper issue is family structure, or lack of it, learned behavior from a parent, generations of welfare state families. Starts with individuals and works its way to the collective population. And yes it can be fixed.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post

Oh!! An OPED !! Must be the truth.
ROFL

Old 06-30-2020, 09:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
As much as anarchy seems like an overall better system.
The ends don't justify the means.

Anarchists aren't anarchists based on the belief that things will "work out better". Anarchists are anarchists because the social contract is immoral and illogical. Political authority is illegitimate. How you handle your life in a free society, anarchy, isn't necessarily going to be "better". It will just be free. It's not the burden of the anarchist to make your life better or provide answers to so-called problems in order to justify the reality that, again, the social contract/statism is immoral and illogical. No man is above this fact. That's all we are saying.

Quote:
Let's be honest, we still live in a world where people have a religious belief in state. And they believe that the state has a moral authority. Anarchist like to approach this as if it's a matter of education. But when you have a belief, education doesn't matter. Their mind will invent scenarios and counter examples. And they will fall back to the most naive version of the state they can. Where the state is virtuous and believe at it's core the intent is just to help people.
It is a matter of education. Anarchy is the default setting of a human being but all of us are indoctrinated with statism throughout our lives. Well, nearly all of us. I do know two members of 2nd generation anarchists (kids in the early 20s) whose parents are friends of mine. There's nothing stopping them from becoming statists at this point in their lives. They have absolutely no interest in it. Nearly all anarchists were once statists. There are very few statists who were once true anarchists.

Quote:
The reality is, there is a hack. Or there is a "state" cheat code. Get money, and influence the state. Just imagine, blacks who are underachievers, can't do anything, should go back to Africa, and aren't capable of anything besides begging for welfare, end up taking advantage of this "exploit". Then think what it would do to people's reverence toward the state.
There is no hack, no cheat code. There is no "little bit pregnant". This is why, among us anarchists, the statists we loathe the most are the "libertarians", minarchists, and to a lesser extent conservatives/Republicans.

They actually know some of the principles, understand their logic and morality, and while the ends don't justify the means they also can properly see that the results of non-aggression/free markets are often much more ideal.

The individual bore the collective, regardless if its voluntary or involuntary. The collective didn't bore the individual. That's the starting point. It's natural law. Nothing I can do about it.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Only works if we clone you and make sure belief systems are also replicated.

Humans never were and never will be morally and logically consistent.

In your scenario we get a cross between the gilded age Pinkerton justice, CHAZ and modern Russia.
The Pinkertons were state-sanctioned police, CHAZ is a political organization (anarchy is apolitical), and Russia is a bona fide State.

As always, I don't care if it "works". I'm only here to tell you what is (and make no mistake I don't like it myself a lot of the times).

Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'm trying to learn more about the viability of my rights in anarchy. If a factory is poisoning my water or air, what recourse do I have outside of gathering a bunch of people and going to the factory to complain and possibly having a shootout with the factory's hired goons if persuasion fails? I'm hoping the answer isn't that I wouldn't have to worry about the factory in the first place because a fair/strong legal system is something of a prerequisite for advanced economic activity.
What does your contract say?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I'll be waiting on No_Recess's answer to this as well.
And what does your contract say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies