Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think Covid 19 will end in the U.S>
Vaccine will become available and enough people will take it to develop herd immunity for the general population 25 34.72%
Natural herd immunity as most people who are susciptible but not self isolating eventuallly building herd immunity 19 26.39%
The general population just learns to live with it and accept risk over the years to come. 28 38.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,042,899 times

Advertisements

There are three ways for the Coronavirus crisis to end:

1) A vaccine that's widely available for anyone who wants it. Even if some people refuse, I imagine enough people would get vaccinated to provide some herd immunity

2) Natural herd immunity: eventually the virus runs its course and starts declining. I think there is a significant percentage of the population that may already have naturally immunity: I know a woman who had it and her husband and kid never got it even though they live in a small house together. I also read about other cases where one spouse gets it and the rest of the family doesn't. NYC is steadily declining in cases even after massive rioting for weeks which makes me think they might have hit herd immunity even if only 25-30 percent of the population got it as they were probably the susceptible ones.

3) Neither: we just learn to live with it as we live with the flu and other illnesses. People will have to assess their own risk and take chances see as see fit. There is a chance the virus will mutate to less dangerous overtime.

I believe the fourth option (a much stricter nationwide shutdown to eliminate the virus like they did in Italy and Spain is NOT an option here but if you believe that might come if push come to shove if this winter gets extremely bad, please feel free to say so in the comments).

Which do you think will happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 PM

34,224 posts, read 17,314,075 times
I suspect we will progress from 3 to 2 to 1 over the next 1-2 years.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 PM

1,066 posts, read 634,381 times
well I won't get a vaccine, I don't care if I get or don't get it, and I will take zero precautions to avoid it or not pass it. Im not sick and I will live my life as if it didn't exist.

Not letting my life alter/change for .0001% of population. If they want to be safe, they can wear a bubble and mask, I will not. The herd immunity needs to be done, so the community is immune.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:19 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,962,165 times
I think it could end like the Spanish flu - a probable combination of herd immunity and the virus attenuating to a less lethal form. By the time we get a vaccine at least half the human population will have been exposed to COVID anyway.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,040,668 times
None of those. Seeing how its just the flu on steroids it will disappear when the media stops yapping about it, just like they BARELY touch how deadly the regular flu is every year. I do know no one in my family will get ANY vaccine. Nope not gonna happen.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,042,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
None of those. Seeing how its just the flu on steroids it will disappear when the media stops yapping about it, just like they BARELY touch how deadly the regular flu is every year. I do know no one in my family will get ANY vaccine. Nope not gonna happen.

Much more dangerous than the flu as of now but not nearly as dangerous as some of the media would have you believe. I believe the Covid 19 death rate is around 0.5-1 percent while the flu death rate is 0.02 percent.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 PM

8,651 posts, read 11,084,145 times
I believe it will end with a vaccine.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:31 AM

24,490 posts, read 23,194,241 times
Herd immunity. People at my work are no longer getting sick and our area's case count has dropped off and the number of deaths from it has dramatically dropped. This was from an area that was hard hit early on. I had it. Over 99% recover with most having mild or no symptoms.
I'm still washing my hands. I always did and never got the flu. I wear the mask at work and in public although I have taken measures to loosen it up so as not to restrict normal healthy breathing and to prevent the negative health effects of the masks. From CO2 levels that are unhealthy which can decrease brain function and harm lung tissue. No wonder Joe Biden wants not wearing masks to be a crime, he wants everybody as brain impaired as he is! Social distancing has pretty much been forgotten, which is good. Businesses are open finally. Nobody wears gloves either.
I think those getting it were isolated early on and now are finally getting it. Its extremely contagious but also not very serious in the majority of cases. All the mostly ineffective steps that were done did have the one positive impact of preventing a flood of infected early on which would have overloaded the health care and emergency services. But the lock downs were and are self inflicted economic damage that was not warranted.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:40 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,677,146 times
Yea until we find out it was in fact a space alien invasion and grotesque monsters pop out of our chests to take over the Earth....

Hey based on current knowledge its as good theory as any. How anybody got to be any kind of expert on this virus in three months is beyond me. They just ran out of money, got bored silly sitting in apartment, and decided to go into denial mode. Hey denial aint just a river in Egypt.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,076,061 times
Coronavirus may have grabbed all the headlines and people's fears,

but it has to long way to go to displace
heart disease, cancer, accidents + stroke

(obviously there is great conflation of 'chronic respiratory diseases' and 'pneumonia" and 'flu' with Coronavirus)
as leading causes of death.

The good news for people who can read and understand English - or at least a college education from any G20 country and stumble their way thru some charts, all the previous years data is available for perusal and download from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies