Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 11:46 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
With all respect, you are looking at an issue with a microscope that needs a "big picture" assessment. The acts of others, naturally taint you as well, though not at all deserved. It is inevitable human nature. It matters not that you see it as illogical or stupid, it is how the majority of people see it that matters. It is unavoidable human nature, and will not, and can not change. When the behavior changes, the animus will evaporate, but not before.
So why was the animus even greater when the behavior was lesser and not nearly as visible? Why was Obama on the receiving end of the same sort of animus, if not worse?

That's why I can't take stuff like this seriously.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:08 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm curious; what form would this actually take? You middle/upper class Black people should take out full-page ads in newspapers or pay for billboard ads in tje hood or something? Should we be standing outside of a club in the hood and use megaphones to lecture folks standing in line?
I don't know, but at least get the message across to the media that there are indeed functioning black people, because as it is, they are being the silent successful black minority in all of this protest and the ghetto blacks need to see and know that they exist. And perhaps there are greater percentages of success in the black community, but being so quiet that they are almost invisible. I really think that America needs to know that they exist.

Quote:
Otherwise, if you think messages about personal responsibility and the value of hard work and education are totally absent in poor Black neighborhoods, then you don't have anything close to the complete story. At the same time, this doesn't mean their protests are without merit. Stories of profiling and police intimidation and abuse of authority aren't exactly uncommon among middle/upper class Black people either.
Police bullying and brutality are not limited to the black community. A police officer who is a bully, bullies everyone. I don't think that it's solely a black problem.

Quote:
Now I do agree with this and there are some effective programs out there intended to boost the numbers of Black male teachers. We need to pay teachers more across the board though.
My thoughts are this, I don't think that it's in anyone's best interests for teaching being a lifelong career. IMO teachers should be young adults who are recent graduates, taught in the latest best teaching techniques and who are socially hip and able to relate to children and teens better. Young teachers are more idealistic, naive and less cynical than older teachers. And they can afford to live on a teachers' salary. And also offer these recent graduates, a pert of having part of their college loans paid off. IMO after the teaching stint is over, those young teachers should head towards better paying jobs in the private sector.

Right now, the way our school systems are funded is straining our tax dollars. We can't afford to pay school teachers more, let alone their retirement pensions... which should be phased out. Or pay the teachers more now, but cut out their retirement pensions.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:09 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
With all respect, you are looking at an issue with a microscope that needs a "big picture" assessment. The acts of others, naturally taint you as well, though not at all deserved. It is inevitable human nature. It matters not that you see it as illogical or stupid, it is how the majority of people see it that matters. It is unavoidable human nature, and will not, and can not change. When the behavior changes, the animus will evaporate, but not before.
Well, this is the thing. I really don't care. This is why. If I haven't done anything to deserve someone's wrath or judgement, I shouldn't get any wrath or judgement. Whatever I put out there, that is what I expect back. I'm the one who has to live with the rest of society. I'm the one who is here right now. I can only control what I can do for myself. What more do I have to do? What more can you expect from me? I can't control what some dumb hood rats do. I can only control me.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So why was the animus even greater when the behavior was lesser and not nearly as visible? Why was Obama on the receiving end of the same sort of animus, if not worse?

That's why I can't take stuff like this seriously.
This is also why I think the way that I do. Speaking proper English and presenting myself as a non-threatening type didn't stop some idiots from screaming the N word at my when I was walking to the store. It didn't stop someone from screaming the N word at me while I was just sitting down drinking coffee. I didn't stop some individuals from making "Carlton Banks" jokes about me because I'm "not Black enough". And the persons who were doing that, oddly enough, were White. It didn't stop me from dealing with racism in high school or middle school. Being "nice" and "non-threatening" didn't protect me from some sort of racial animus at any time in my life.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
oh my, such innocence.

Being a model minority does not erase racism.

There is an unbelievable amount of racism toward Asians.
It's just a "nicer" form of racism. Polite racism to oppress Asians.
Not 'racial profiling police abuse' form of racism, but racism nonetheless.

Asians have been treated like crap ever since they set foot in America.... from the railroad days onward.

Black people have been treated like crap long before that, and they stood up and fought back.

It would be better if the "model minority" Asians did the same... because even with the hard work, minding their own business, letting things be... they're getting far less than what they put in; the crap end of the stick.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Can black people explain Ebonics to me?

Why speak in this dialect? To differentiate from whites? I have met black people who speak properly then start their own dialect with other blacks.

Why why why why why???

what's up with southern accents, NY accents?

why why why why? why can't they all just speak regular english?

I can't understand those damn bostonians

Old 07-04-2020, 02:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
oh my, such innocence.

Asians have been treated like crap ever since they set foot in America.... from the railroad days onward.

Black people have been treated like crap long before that, and they stood up and fought back.

It would be better if the "model minority" Asians did the same... because even with the hard work, minding their own business, letting things be... they're getting far less than what they put in; the crap end of the stick.
Well they don't have to come here in the first place. They came of their own will for their own benefit regardless of what the people here wanted. They are not exactly doing anyone a favor being counter voters and counter culture. They have highest socioeconomic outcomes, higher than whites. You think whites haven't been treated like crap too and still aren't?

Old 07-04-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
oh my, such innocence.

I've never thought about that before. One thing I can say is that I rarely hear Asian people talking about racism. It's rare to hear about it.

When it comes to being the "model minority", I think it's used as a tool of division. I also think "model minority " means being easy to push around. It means "they aren't like those Black people who will fight back".

Dr. King might be admired today, but he was hated back then. He was nonviolent, but he was hated. He challenged white supremacy. He challenged the system. He pushed for integration. He had to deal with being attacked alot.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Can black people explain Ebonics to me?

Why speak in this dialect? To differentiate from whites? I have met black people who speak properly then start their own dialect with other blacks.

Why why why why why???
Code switching. Kind of like how immigrants will speak English with Americans, but switch to speaking their native tongue with their countrymen.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:41 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
If the great majority of people would simply treat everyone else as human beings deserving of equal respect, regardless of their ancestry, the world would be a much better place.

(However, despite the above goody-two-shoes statement, once someone deliberately harms another person, in my opinion, they are no longer deserving of such respect.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies