Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:27 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Stupidest post in the thread.
May I remind you of the post I was responding to:

"Indians use proper grammar and dress appropriately. You don't hear a bunch of gutter slang and profanity coming out of their mouths when they get agitated."

The poster is saying that all Indians use proper grammar. I challenged this assumption, yet you consider me the stupid one?

In my experience, SOME people of all races use proper grammar, and SOME people of all races use what you might call gutter slang.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:30 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
May I remind you of the post I was responding to:

"Indians use proper grammar and dress appropriately. You don't hear a bunch of gutter slang and profanity coming out of their mouths when they get agitated."

The poster is saying that all Indians use proper grammar. I challenged this assumption, yet you consider me the stupid one?

In my experience, SOME people of all races use proper grammar, and SOME people of all races use what you might call gutter slang.
And if blacks sounded like African born blacks and Englanders, the grammar would not be so harsh.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:33 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
The US has done wrong with its diversity. That’s the problem. Many other countries are diverse and have done better by far. The US is biggest failure in diversity and dealing with the major differences of its racial populations than anywhere else.
That is just because the Americas had the condition of diversity beginning way back in the early 1500s. Most other countries and regions besides the US have done much worse with diversity and even in the more modern era. Look at how Latin America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia have done with diversity even today.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:53 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Dancing to music from his headphones is 'flailing about?'

They couldn't have asked about the ski mask before attacking him?

If it were suspicious, I would think that flailing his arms about to be more indicative of mental illness than a criminal.

Who was he endangering?

A man goes past my gate every night talking/yelling very loudly to himself or to whoever is in his deluded mind. He talks with his hands. He could be mentally ill or 'mentally ill' from meth, IDK. I presume the former. Either way, my police are taking him to a hospital that treats either, not attacking and killing him, if they bother with him at all.

They are extremely reticent to bother people who aren't bothering anyone else. I'm sure they drive past him often. If I were to call them about him, it wouldn't end in his death. He'd go on his way or to a hospital.

That is the difference between properly trained officers and not. Ours have racial training and MI training.
I said he should not have died in police custody and none of us no the exact circumstances of the situation.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:07 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I said he should not have died in police custody and none of us no the exact circumstances of the situation.
We know the outcome.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:14 PM

73,030 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That's my take on it as well. My son used to get, "why aren't you like your (step) sisters? They are always prepared and have such beautiful hand writing. They are always so polite and quiet."

1. They aren't his step sisters, they are his adopted sisters.

2. He is a male and as such did not focus on penmanship but things that were fun.

3. They aren't so quiet and yes they were polite, but so was he.

People would say "oh look they look like little Chinese dolls."
or
I thought (Orientals) had smaller feet. Yeah because a woman's size 6 sneaker is massive. Orientals, my wife and daughters aren't rugs. LOL.

I think what some mean by model minorities are the kind that are seen but not heard, and seen only rarely.
I chalk that up to said teachers looking for any excuse to complain about your son. Funny you mention penmanship. My father saw my homework one night. He made me do it over due to substandard penmanship. It wasn't that I couldn't write well. I just didn't want to do it and I took the "do this and get it over with" mentality. My mother did the same thing when she saw that my penmanship wasn't up to snuff.

Said teach was indeed playing the "model minority" angle, and likely thought in terms of other stereotypes as well.

Being seen but not heard is what some people want. And if that is what it means to be "model minority", I don't want it. I feel like people should stand up for themselves.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:22 PM

380 posts, read 125,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I chalk that up to said teachers looking for any excuse to complain about your son.
No, maybe the teacher was encouraging the son to do better.

Are you even sure the boy is black?

Old 07-05-2020, 04:47 PM

73,030 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
No, maybe the teacher was encouraging the son to do better.

Are you even sure the boy is black?
Yes, I am sure. Ask boneyard for yourself.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:52 PM

380 posts, read 125,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, I am sure. Ask boneyard for yourself.
Oh, yeah, that's right, in your narrow mind everybody in the world 'complains' about black males.

You seem to be stuck in your school years and like playing the 'victim.'

I'll let you in on a little secret about adult white people (which I doubt you'll believe) - we know the difference between arrogant ghetto trash and good black people. We generally like and accept good black people and treat them the same as any other decent person.

This goes for us 'racists,' also.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The problem is that many in the black community either aren't able to, or choose not to speak proper business English while at work. They speak like they are in the 'hood and that holds them back from getting decent paying jobs. Employers don't want people who sound and dress like hood rats representing them professionally.

My mother taught me the importance of speaking business English in school and professional settings. We also had to speak this proper English at the dinner table. She encouraged us to expand our vocabulary too. Otherwise, she didn't care how we spoke to our friends and told us so.

And we care how blacks speak at work, because they are the ones complaining about racism and discrimination. If they would stop complaining, then I would care a lot less about how they spoke. But I would like to point out that, the way blacks speak in ebonics is why many other social groups don't want their children spending time in the classroom with black children. Kids pick up so many habits from their friends and fellow students, so parents don't want to have to deal with having to fix their children's bad speech patterns. They struggle enough with swear words.

And no, non-black parents also don't want their children talking like hillbillies either.
Please source the bolded.

Since the days when Ebonics was talked about a lot, the Oakland resolution and so forth, a lot of gains have been made in education. Far more blacks complete high school and enroll in college, and they don't do that speaking Ebonics.

I have never heard anyone speak it. I hear black slang, which is part of it, but never anyone using the different sentence structures, I had to look that up to get examples.

The closest to a real life example is in memes on fb. Ion for I don't. A way of writing the Ah don sound. The way they write it now, but oddly do not say it that way, which is the entire point of writing it that way.

'He gone learn today' is another phrase that is rather mainstream. gone = going to. These are very minor variations and specifically used in jest.

Imma = I'm going to. Again, mainstream for a long time now. Used for emphasis, not because the person doesn't know to say 'I'm going to' and doesn't in usual everyday conversation.

Where are you hearing actual Ebonics? Do you have a source of how using Ebonics is getting in the way of being hired for work, or is this something you heard from Bill Cosby decades ago that is a problem in need of solving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies