Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 03:08 AM

160 posts, read 104,808 times

Advertisements

Dylan Roof, Connor Betts, James Holmes, Dylan Harris, Eric Klebold, Patrick Crusius, almost every police department in America, we could go on and on. Good thing we don't judge the entire white race based on the actions or "behavior" of a few bad apples

Old 07-05-2020, 03:14 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,235,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why do you care how they speak in the hood? Why would you care if a black person speaks one way with you at work and another way at home/in a casual setting?
The problem is that many in the black community either aren't able to, or choose not to speak proper business English while at work. They speak like they are in the 'hood and that holds them back from getting decent paying jobs. Employers don't want people who sound and dress like hood rats representing them professionally.

My mother taught me the importance of speaking business English in school and professional settings. We also had to speak this proper English at the dinner table. She encouraged us to expand our vocabulary too. Otherwise, she didn't care how we spoke to our friends and told us so.

And we care how blacks speak at work, because they are the ones complaining about racism and discrimination. If they would stop complaining, then I would care a lot less about how they spoke. But I would like to point out that, the way blacks speak in ebonics is why many other social groups don't want their children spending time in the classroom with black children. Kids pick up so many habits from their friends and fellow students, so parents don't want to have to deal with having to fix their children's bad speech patterns. They struggle enough with swear words.

And no, non-black parents also don't want their children talking like hillbillies either.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:59 AM

27,688 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think about how the term "model minority" is used. It's a way of saying "people who don't complain or who just accept that they will deal with racism". It's used as a racial wedge.
Uh, no. "Model minority" refers to non-white ethnic populations who go to school, study hard, get good grades and become economically successful as adults. It also refers to people who have relatively stable families and are law-abiding citizens.

It has nothing to do with racism.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:31 AM

29,667 posts, read 14,776,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
Dylan Roof, Connor Betts, James Holmes, Dylan Harris, Eric Klebold, Patrick Crusius, almost every police department in America, we could go on and on. Good thing we don't judge the entire white race based on the actions or "behavior" of a few bad apples
Maybe not a race, but firearms owners judged.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:45 AM

13,707 posts, read 4,986,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Indians use proper grammar and dress appropriately. You don't hear a bunch of gutter slang and profanity coming out of their mouths when they get agitated.
All Indians use proper English and all Blacks use gutter slang? OK, I didn't know that.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:48 AM

13,707 posts, read 4,986,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Uh, no. "Model minority" refers to non-white ethnic populations who go to school, study hard, get good grades and become economically successful as adults. It also refers to people who have relatively stable families and are law-abiding citizens.

It has nothing to do with racism.
There are certainly black people who exhibit all of the behaviors you listed. And there are certainly white people who don't.

This is the very definition of racism - categorizing an entire race of people based on the actions of some individuals.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:07 AM

380 posts, read 126,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I accept that there will always be racism. Human beings are very visual animals, so... so what if someone has a problem with Asians?

Just as I reserve the right to judge each person I meet as an individual and decide if they deserve respect from me, I allow others the right to judge me as an individual. What do I care if a non-Asian decides that he doesn't like most Asians? It doesn't hurt my feelings in any way.

I also don't care if not all men find me attractive as an Asian female. Everyone is entitled to their unique tastes in romantic partners. I am not going to consider a man racist, just because he doesn't find Chinese women physically attractive. As for me, I don't consider myself racist if I don't find most black men physically attractive as a romantic partner.

And as a co-worker, no matter what anyone's prejudices about the Chinese, I want to be judged for myself, and not my race. But I will prove my worth through my actions and stellar work ethic.

I see no need to protest and carry signs saying Chinese Lives Matter. Or throw a public tantrum. That would be just plain stupid and unproductive.
I married into a traditional Chinese family and Philadelphia's Chinatown is like my second neighborhood.

Let me tell you - a lot of Chinese people are pretty racist - especially towards African-Americans, and I can understand why.

The Chinese who treat me a certain way because I'm white, I ignore and go on with my life. If they don't get why I'm so wonderful, that's their loss.

Last edited by devdaen; 07-05-2020 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-05-2020, 08:10 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,190,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The problem is that many in the black community either aren't able to, or choose not to speak proper business English while at work. They speak like they are in the 'hood and that holds them back from getting decent paying jobs. Employers don't want people who sound and dress like hood rats representing them professionally.

My mother taught me the importance of speaking business English in school and professional settings. We also had to speak this proper English at the dinner table. She encouraged us to expand our vocabulary too. Otherwise, she didn't care how we spoke to our friends and told us so.

And we care how blacks speak at work, because they are the ones complaining about racism and discrimination. If they would stop complaining, then I would care a lot less about how they spoke. But I would like to point out that, the way blacks speak in ebonics is why many other social groups don't want their children spending time in the classroom with black children. Kids pick up so many habits from their friends and fellow students, so parents don't want to have to deal with having to fix their children's bad speech patterns. They struggle enough with swear words.

And no, non-black parents also don't want their children talking like hillbillies either.
I’ve said this before. Switch America to British-English, British lifestyles and proper communities. The US ruined itself in its hatred for where it came from.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:12 AM

22,022 posts, read 9,599,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
All Indians use proper English and all Blacks use gutter slang? OK, I didn't know that.
Stupidest post in the thread.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,190,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
As a black person, it doesn’t really matter if I speak plain English, dress decently, be polite and helpful to others. Many whites and other races can’t stand so much as having to look at me unless they are making a comment about race, or how I “don’t look like everyone else here” and they are often vocal about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies