Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times

Advertisements

My state is under a Mandate - Too bad it's not enforceable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We were doing well, and that's why the state started reopening.
Wrong.. Texas didn't meet the guidelines that specified criteria for reopening. The phases describing the opening was way too aggressive.. people were already warning about that. The sentiment there was to ignore the guidelines.

Texas ignored what NJ, NY, and CT were doing. NJ, NY, CT are the few states either flat of declining... and the reopening is very slow. We experienced the worst of it early on and people saw first hand the impact with little information /knowledge of the virus. Should have learned from other's experiences instead of ignoring them because they just happen to be politically on the opposite side of the isle. Mistakes happen... that's expected. Repeating Mistakes is just stupid.

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

See that little bit of green in a sea of red???

Last edited by usayit; 07-02-2020 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 06:15 PM

Just noticed that Texas re-closed their bars...

Ours are open... They relaxed liquor laws to allow outdoor consumption of alcohol in a reduced capacity while maintaining social distancing... but indoor serving remain closed.

I'm going to head out and down a few tonight... toast to my fellow Texans sick/dying because of incompetence.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Ours are open... They relaxed liquor laws to allow outdoor consumption of alcohol in a reduced capacity while maintaining social distancing... but indoor serving remain closed.

I'm going to head out and down a few tonight... toast to my fellow Texans sick/dying because of incompetence.
I know this won't bring you any comfort, but we don't seem to be dying at nearly the rates expected.

I check hospitalizations and fatalities every day, and the fatality rate is really surprisingly low considering the enormous numbers hospitalized and the nearly full or full ICUs.

Watch what you wish on others - karma has a way of reaching back at you.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Reality finally catching up to Abbott? Le sigh.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
We have a pandemic of a highly contagious disease. We have three choices:

Shut down most of the economy until a vaccine comes (IF one comes)

Let everyone get sick

Wear a mask.

Republican or Democrat, it seems like choice number 3 is the only way. Eventually, all of the governors will see this.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Watch what you wish on others - karma has a way of reaching back at you.
You didn't read my post clearly.

I don't wish this on anyone... We've seen this first hand.. There is a mass grave in NYC for those bodies that were unclaimed. They were storing bodies in trailers because the hospital morgues were full. My town lost a paramedic and a firefighter (although I haven't asked lately) was on a ventilator.. we are in a small town.

I'll be toasting to those sick for a speedy recovery. I'll be toasting the dead for their families. I'm a Texan myself... most of my childhood is there... my friends/family still reside there. Mom is a 30+ year service nurse to Methodist Hospital... thank god she is retired.

We are only a few days into this latest rise of new cases. ... we saw this too... give it a few more days and the death rate rises behind the new cases rate. But we didn't know much about how to treat patients back then. With that said.. I hope you are right... that fatalities stay low.

Its pretty sick to think anyone would wish this on anyone.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Wait, what the hell? I just noticed you're from New Jersey.

Before you get the big head about how your state has dealt with COVID, let's look at the numbers.

New Jersey has a population of 8.8 million, with 13,533 deaths.

Texas has a huge population of 29 million, with 2592 deaths.

How can you possibly criticize the state of Texas handling of this pandemic, when the state you're being so callous to brag about has absolutely shocking numbers of deaths compared to Texas numbers? Not even the same ballpark, usayit.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:37 PM

DAMN! I just asked my wife. We now have a firefighter and a paramedic dead among several others. i guess I am raising another glass tonight. When is this going to stop?

Old 07-02-2020, 06:38 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Reality finally catching up to Abbott? Le sigh.
It's hard to believe that just yesterday Abbott's sidekick Dan "Piggie" Patrick was going on and on about how Fauci was always wrong and didn't know what he was talking about.

Abbott's move made Patrick look like a bigger idiot than we already thought he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies