Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:01 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What's more hilarious is taking an opinion from a C-D poster with no source material as though it were serious.

" It was estimated last year that the Post "loses as much as $110 million annually." They are simply trying to sell papers. These articles try and do that. This article belongs in The National Enquirer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 AM

23,592 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Attacking the media when the story is correct and cannot be refuted? That tactic sounds familiar. Oh yes, Trump does that all the time.
Does he?
You mean like when the leftist media claimed that..
He said all Mexicans were rapists? He didn't.
He called the supremacists in Charlottesville fine people? He didn't.
The dossier was mostly verified? It wasn't.
He called the virus a hoax? He didn't.
I could do this all day, but I just gave you a very small sample.

"Correct and cannot be refuted", LOL, suuure.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:44 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
" It was estimated last year that the Post "loses as much as $110 million annually." They are simply trying to sell papers. These articles try and do that. This article belongs in The National Enquirer.
Can you link a reference to that number from last year, rather than just typing it and hoping people believe you. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't take anyone's word for anything these days. They are in a very liberal region, but according to Wikipedia, as of 2017, they are the 4th largest publication in the country.

By your logic, CNN is like the National Enquirer because they typically have the lowest ratings of the 3 24 hour news stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Post

Old 07-05-2020, 09:59 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
The Post has always been all-in on trump. They also like to print really negative biased stuff about his "enemies". It's a Rupert Murdoch thing.
And when we point out all the NEGATIVE junk and lies the NY Times prints we get attacked.

Not to mention the rest of the media, and yes even FOXNEWS has dems, who fawns all over dems and despise repubs.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:32 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Please learn to read. I never claimed it wasn't an opinion piece. I was merely pointing out that you are fixated on the fact that it is an opinion piece, even though opinion pieces often contain facts of record, like this one does. You are calling it an opinion piece as a pejorative so that the facts contained in it will be disregarded, along with the opinions. And again, nobody is arguing the opinions of the article, just the facts of the article.

Yes, she does admit that many things Trump has done are cringe-worthy. And? So do I. Big deal. I think one of the biggest differences between the liberal mindset and the conservative mindset is that liberals place values on how thing feel, regardless of actual results. Conservatives place value on actual results, regardless of how things feel.

His support among black voters is no more feeble than any republican. This is not a Trump thing, like you are trying to make it out to be. In fact, in 2016, he got more of the black vote than Mitt Romney did in 2012 or MCCain in 2008. Black people just don't vote for republicans in large numbers. At least not in a long time. I think there are reasons for that, outside of the republican party, but that is a whole different thread.
You seem agitated. Stop.

Look at what you are writing. If you agree that her piece is opinion, then there is no further need to continue. As I have said repeatedly, I don’t need to dispute her cherrypicked facts. Numerous people have disputed the benefits of Trump’s policies on black communities. Examples include this, and many more like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...own-standards/

What isn’t in dispute is that Trump does NOT enjoy “record high black voter support”. Heck, even your own graphic shows GWB received higher black voter support than Trump did. Both George HW Bush and Reagan enjoyed over 10% black voter support over their elections. If anything, Trump continues to suffer the same anemic support from black voters, if not worse.

What also isn’t in dispute is that blacks have been disproportionately affected by the economic disaster that was and continues to be exacerbated by Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic. What is not in dispute is the wealth and income disparities that continue to disadvantage black communities. What is not in dispute is the health disparity that continues to disadvantage black communities and communities of color.

The difference between liberal and conservative mindsets isn’t a feeling vs result oriented approach. Anyone can cherrypick policies/data and argue a point of view. But perhaps liberal-minded patriots understand that inequality is a much broader issue than questionable policies that marginally improve livelihoods, if at all. Perhaps liberal-minded individuals recognize tax havens for wealthy investors in the disguise of “incentive zone” investments don’t actually lift up lives of residents these policies are meant to help. Perhaps we understand that having a president deride an entire movement as a “symbol of hate”, retweeting white power messages, defending Confederate legacies, stoking racial tensions are not only failures of leadership, but also deeply insulting and hurtful to many.

I’m not black and I can never speak about the experience. What I can say is that I don’t have to be black to understand why the president’s actions have failed the test of leadership in general, and I can understand why many Americans, black and otherwise, were hurt by his words. Perhaps your cherrypicked, result-oriented approach misses the forest for the trees, and that is a symptom of someone who is losing an argument. Just perhaps. Be well, and breathe.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:44 AM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Can you link a reference to that number from last year, rather than just typing it and hoping people believe you. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't take anyone's word for anything these days. They are in a very liberal region, but according to Wikipedia, as of 2017, they are the 4th largest publication in the country.

By your logic, CNN is like the National Enquirer because they typically have the lowest ratings of the 3 24 hour news stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Post
The National Enquirer is far more reputable IMO.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
You seem agitated. Stop.

Look at what you are writing. If you agree that her piece is opinion, then there is no further need to continue. As I have said repeatedly, I don’t need to dispute her cherrypicked facts. Numerous people have disputed the benefits of Trump’s policies on black communities. Examples include this, and many more like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...own-standards/

What isn’t in dispute is that Trump does NOT enjoy “record high black voter support”. Heck, even your own graphic shows GWB received higher black voter support than Trump did. Both George HW Bush and Reagan enjoyed over 10% black voter support over their elections. If anything, Trump continues to suffer the same anemic support from black voters, if not worse.

What also isn’t in dispute is that blacks have been disproportionately affected by the economic disaster that was and continues to be exacerbated by Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic. What is not in dispute is the wealth and income disparities that continue to disadvantage black communities. What is not in dispute is the health disparity that continues to disadvantage black communities and communities of color.

The difference between liberal and conservative mindsets isn’t a feeling vs result oriented approach. Anyone can cherrypick policies/data and argue a point of view. But perhaps liberal-minded patriots understand that inequality is a much broader issue than questionable policies that marginally improve livelihoods, if at all. Perhaps liberal-minded individuals recognize tax havens for wealthy investors in the disguise of “incentive zone” investments don’t actually lift up lives of residents these policies are meant to help. Perhaps we understand that having a president deride an entire movement as a “symbol of hate”, retweeting white power messages, defending Confederate legacies, stoking racial tensions are not only failures of leadership, but also deeply insulting and hurtful to many.

I’m not black and I can never speak about the experience. What I can say is that I don’t have to be black to understand why the president’s actions have failed the test of leadership in general, and I can understand why many Americans, black and otherwise, were hurt by his words. Perhaps your cherrypicked, result-oriented approach misses the forest for the trees, and that is a symptom of someone who is losing an argument. Just perhaps. Be well, and breathe.
People on the internet often feel like people who are disagreeing with them “seem agitated”. I can guarantee you, it is just projection. I couldn’t feel more indifferent right now.

I said “learn to read” as a response to your “learn to read” comment to me, but the fact that you forgot about that, and think that seems like a sign of agitation, only when someone else says it, is very telling.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
People on the internet often feel like people who are disagreeing with them “seem agitated”. I can guarantee you, it is just projection. I couldn’t feel more indifferent right now.

I said “learn to read” as a response to your “learn to read” comment to me, but the fact that you forgot about that, and think that seems like a sign of agitation, only when someone else says it, is very telling.
That’s reassuring. Have a good weekend! Be well.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
That’s reassuring. Have a good weekend! Be well.
You too. Happy 4th.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Interesting perspective since the article was written by a black woman.

Also this woman will be voting for him AGAIN.
One black woman being paid is equivalent to Diamond and Silk, none of which translate into receiving the black vote.

Now that the supreme court just ruled that the states electoral college MUST vote with the popular vote in each state if mandated? I think the Republican's have an even bigger issue now that the electoral college can't rely on faithless electors. Who needs the black vote when you can manipulate electoral votes? Oh right. I guess Trump does now. Yeah, good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies