Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes! I remember a town hall in which a woman stood up and asked a question in Spanish - essentially disenfranchising American-born voters (the majority of whom don’t speak a language of another country).

If an arrogant immigrant has the audacity to do that again, especially after we have granted her the privilege of U.S. citizenship, the candidate needs to remind her - politely of course - that the vast majority of Americans born here will not understand her question - and to either ask it in English, or sit her butt down.

To have an immigrant come here, be granted all the privileges of an American citizen, and then ask a question at an election campaign stop in a language that Americans don’t speak takes a special type of arrogance.
¡Si! Estoy de acuerdo con su comentario. ¡Gracias por compartir su punto de vista!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 08:21 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It is communication in the most effective way possible. What part of that don't you get?

You are not required to listen. And there are no "American citizen" dialects. LMAO.

Yes, heaven forbid the government would want to be easily understood.

Maybe more people should learn Spanish. A little education never hurt anyone. For instance, the definition of the word "disenfranchising" does not cover not understanding a question in a town hall meeting.

LOL - thank you for my morning chuckle.

Numbers, for one ... d'oh!
What part of one has to know English to become a citizen aren't you getting for the umpteenth time??? If I'm at a rally I have to listen to politicians pandering in Spanish if they are choosing to do so! WTH are you talking about in regards to "American citizen dialects"? We don't speak a dialect we speak English!

Why in the hell should Americans learn Spanish over any other foreign language in our country or any foreign language for that matter? Immigrants are supposed to learn English not the other way around. An education? There are many topics to get educated on besides learning a foreign language that you'll never use.

Numbers? When you subtract the number of Spanish speakers here illegally there are just as many Asians here but again they also know English if they are a citizen of our country and they aren't expecting politicians to deliver a speech in their languages. I'm sure at a political rally there is a mix of native English speakers and bi-lingual English/Spanish speakers. How are the native English speakers supposed to know what that politician is saying if he's speaking in Spanish or don't they count?

What part of the Constitution says that politicians are obligated to deliver speeches in Spanish or any other foreign language?

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-10-2020 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times
Speaking which ever language you want is Freedom!

And Freedom is to be America!

Why do some American's, like in this thread, hate Freedom?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We have plenty of citizens here who speak other native languages besides Spanish so why the pandering to native Spanish speakers only? I do however, disagree with all of it as to be a citizen of our country you have to know English. Politicians should be addressing all citizens in our national de facto common language of English only that way we all understand.
"We have plenty of citizens here who speak other native languages besides Spanish"

I have no problem with people who know how to speak another language as long as they KNOW HOW to speak and understand English, as the LAW REQUIRES.

Our govt should NOT spend 1 dime on "if Spanish dial 2", and the money it takes to buy equipment big enough to handle 2 languages ( I had to buy equipment capable of 5 languages), nor print ANYTHING other then English.

The law states you MUST be able to speak and understand English in order to get a green card or to become a citizen.

Why spend MILLIONS to enact laws, if we are NOT going to enforce them?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:09 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It is communication in the most effective way possible. What part of that don't you get?

You are not required to listen. And there are no "American citizen" dialects. LMAO.

Yes, heaven forbid the government would want to be easily understood.

Maybe more people should learn Spanish. A little education never hurt anyone. For instance, the definition of the word "disenfranchising" does not cover not understanding a question in a town hall meeting.

LOL - thank you for my morning chuckle.

Numbers, for one ... d'oh!
"It is communication in the most effective way possible. What part of that don't you get?"

What part of it the LAW to get a green card or to become a citizen being able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND English, do you NOT understand?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And both clinton and obama religion-pandered.

So?
Every politician panders. That was the point. Trump isn't above the fray either. Feigning outrage is amusing at best.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Speaking which ever language you want is Freedom!

And Freedom is to be America!

Why do some American's, like in this thread, hate Freedom?
There is a time and place for everything. No one is saying that someone can't speak a foreign language in our country. This is about pandering to a certain group by a politician in their native language when they also know English and inavertadely snubbing those who don't speak that foreign language. What part of that aren't you and yours getting?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
"It is communication in the most effective way possible. What part of that don't you get?"

What part of it the LAW to get a green card or to become a citizen being able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND English, do you NOT understand?
Exactly, and just how effective of a communication is it for those who don't speak that foreign language? Don't they count?

Old 07-10-2020, 11:11 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Outsiders from the bayou can't understand the bayou language. It's very unique to our country though. I hope we never lose it. I could never understand many of my relatives lol
Yeah, I've been to the Bayou area, and although I have a working knowledge of French, I had no idea what some of the things I was told meant. Go visit the Tabasco factory if you have not yet!

Old 07-10-2020, 11:21 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
"You seem to forget that the USA does not have an official language."

You seem to forget that in order to get a green card or become a citizen you are REQUIRED to be able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!.
BTW, you are wrong. You don't need to speak and understand English for a Green Card. Why does a Canadian know this, but an American doesn't?????

https://www.usa.gov/green-cards#item-34817

You need to know a working knowledge of English for citizenship for MOST, but not all, applicants.

Permanent residents age 55 or older with at least 15 years permanent residence can get U.S. citizenship without showing the ability to read, write and speak English. The English Language exemption is available also to individuals age 50 or older with at least 20 years permanent residence.

So again, your generalization is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies