Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 12:08 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What part of one has to know English to become a citizen aren't you getting for the umpteenth time???
That is incorrect. And even if it were, understanding what is written and spoken in a second language is not as easy as understanding in a native language. If a politician wants Spanish speaking people to truly understand what s/he is saying, communicating in Spanish will accomplish that more thoroughly than communicating in English.

Quote:
If I'm at a rally I have to listen to politicians pandering in Spanish if they are choosing to do so! WTH are you talking about in regards to "American citizen dialects"? We don't speak a dialect we speak English!
I was responding to another poster, not to you.

Quote:
Why in the hell should Americans learn Spanish over any other foreign language in our country or any foreign language for that matter? Immigrants are supposed to learn English not the other way around. An education? There are many topics to get educated on besides learning a foreign language that you'll never use.
My goodness! Looks like I got you all hot and triggered. LOL, my day is complete.

Quote:
What part of the Constitution says that politicians are obligated to deliver speeches in Spanish or any other foreign language?
What part of the Constitution denies them that choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What part of it the LAW to get a green card or to become a citizen being able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND English, do you NOT understand?
Apparently you don't understand the law. Look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 12:34 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That is incorrect. And even if it were, understanding what is written and spoken in a second language is not as easy as understanding in a native language. If a politician wants Spanish speaking people to truly understand what s/he is saying, communicating in Spanish will accomplish that more thoroughly than communicating in English.

I was responding to another poster, not to you.

My goodness! Looks like I got you all hot and triggered. LOL, my day is complete.

What part of the Constitution denies them that choice?

Apparently you don't understand the law. Look it up.
Why do you continue with this lie? The only exceptions are elderly naturalized citizens and there are plenty of them who's native language isn't Spanish.

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/i...20Form%20N-400.

So a politician should address Americans in Spanish even though there are plenty of citizens attending who are only native English speakers or their native language isn't Spanish? WTH! What about their understanding?

Triggered? Don't me laugh, you're the one who is triggered at the thought of immigrants assimilating to our national de facto language and the fact that you have to know English to become a naturalized citizen!

What part of the Constitution invites discrimination instead of speaking in our common language so that the majority understands a public address and that includes those who's first language isn't English but they know English? You have failed to address all of my points but just keep repeating the same old lies and BS over and over. Kindly don't reply to me anymore, thanks!

Old 07-10-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
¡Si! Estoy de acuerdo con su comentario. ¡Gracias por compartir su punto de vista!
Read the TOS of this forum we are only suppose to post in English.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
What is it to you what language someone uses? Do you see it as some kind of infringement on you or your rights? I moved to France. I am a fluent French speaker, but I still enjoy being able to speak and hear people speaking in English.
And thats totally understandable. It's cool to speak a foreign language, but it does get tiring sometimes.

Quote:
Why? Just because they can speak a foreign language doesn’t make them less of an American. That’s just bigotry. There’s absolutely no reason why a politician shouldn’t speak the language of their constituents. How better for theses folks to feel included? Our country is made up of immigrants, immigrants made this country what it is. I think that a lot of people have forgotten this.
You are right. It is bigotry. I dont understand why this is such a big deal. I mean, hundreds of years ago, we had italians, germans, asians, french, spanish, and no one cared. And now its a problem?

Quote:
Tough ****! Live with it.
lmao, there you go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Wow, Barry Goldwater! I didn't know it went back that far!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 PM

As I said, there is a time and place for everything. If a politician is going to pander to one foreign language group then they need to do it for others. But it's not necessary anyway as in order to become a citizen you have to know English. At any political rally there is a mix of native English speakers and those who's first language isn't English but their second language. Why snub the native English speakers by speaking in a foreign tongue when the entire citizen crowd at the rally all knows English? Not one pandering person in here will answer that question!!!

Old 07-10-2020, 09:36 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Why do you continue with this lie? The only exceptions are elderly naturalized citizens and there are plenty of them who's native language isn't Spanish.
English is not required for a green card, and fluency is not required for citizenship.

Quote:
So a politician should address Americans in Spanish even though there are plenty of citizens attending who are only native English speakers or their native language isn't Spanish?
So a politician should address Americans in English even though there are plenty of citizens attending who are Spanish speakers or their native language isn't English?

Quote:
Triggered?
LMAO. I'm not the one whose panties are in a knot over political ads and speeches in Spanish.

Quote:
What part of the Constitution invites discrimination instead of speaking in our common language so that the majority understands a public address and that includes those who's first language isn't English but they know English?
What part of the Constitution states that politicians cannot address people in more than one language?

Quote:
Kindly don't reply to me anymore, thanks!
I don't take requests.

Quote:
As I said, there is a time and place for everything.
Except for speaking Spanish to voters?

And it's not up to you do decide the time nor the place.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
English is not required for a green card, and fluency is not required for citizenship.

So a politician should address Americans in English even though there are plenty of citizens attending who are Spanish speakers or their native language isn't English?

LMAO. I'm not the one whose panties are in a knot over political ads and speeches in Spanish.

What part of the Constitution states that politicians cannot address people in more than one language?

I don't take requests.

Except for speaking Spanish to voters?

And it's not up to you do decide the time nor the place.
Still repeating yourself over and over again even though you were proven wrong and won't accept the fact that it is rude and discriminating to give a speech in a foreign language when your entire audience can speak English? I asked you not to reply to me anymore. So long, welcome to my ignore list!

Old 07-10-2020, 10:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,960 times
Quote:
It's just pandering to make Latinos feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not only that but there is evidence that some illegals are voting and many if not most of them only speak Spanish.

And as I said, Republicans have done it also but it's mostly the Democrats though. Jeb Bush has a Latino wife and they both speak Spanish in their homes rather than English Go figure!
They can do whatever they want. Its nobody's business what ap erson does in their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There are some english speaking Americans I can guarantee you will have difficulty understanding. Go to bayou country. Go into the Kentucky hills. Go to parts of Louisiana. What does language have to do with being an American citizen?
Exactly! What about those Americans that speak French in Louisiana? What about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So Bush speaking Spanish was the last straw for you?
Not his Lies about WMD's or the War in Iraq where he basically had 5,000 of our TROOPS killed?

Ok "Boomer".

haha, boomer. Or that stupid "Mission Accomplished" banner he had. How embarrassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why didn’t they learn English? My great grandparents and their children - grandparents - also arrived here without knowing a word of English. They were proud to be new Americans, and went to night school to learn the language of their chosen country.

The government needs to stop translating all the taxpayer benefits programs into dozens of foreign languages.
So just because it was hard on your great grand parents, it has to be hard on everyone else? And instead of making things easier for people as the years go on, you want to make it harder? That is not even logical and makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"You seem to forget that the USA does not have an official language."

You seem to forget that in order to get a green card or become a citizen you are REQUIRED to be able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!.
It doesn't matter. If you knew a foreign language, you would know that it gets exhausting speaking it all the time. It's nice to get a break once and a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes! I remember a town hall in which a woman stood up and asked a question in Spanish - essentially disenfranchising American-born voters (the majority of whom don’t speak a language of another country).

If an arrogant immigrant has the audacity to do that again, especially after we have granted her the privilege of U.S. citizenship, the candidate needs to remind her - politely of course - that the vast majority of Americans born here will not understand her question - and to either ask it in English, or sit her butt down.

To have an immigrant come here, be granted all the privileges of an American citizen, and then ask a question at an election campaign stop in a language that Americans don’t speak takes a special type of arrogance.
That is not what disenfranchising means. Please invest in a dictionary.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:55 PM

What difference does it make if a citizen's first or native language isn't English when they still have to know English to become a citizen? How can a native English speaker understand what is being said if a speech is being given in Spanish or any other foreign language? Shouldn't the language that they all understand be the one the speech is delivered in? English is our national de facto language and should be respected as such in a political address.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:06 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Every politician panders. That was the point. Trump isn't above the fray either. Feigning outrage is amusing at best.
"Every politician panders." Agree

Those on the left who did not complain when clinton and obama did it, or any other dem politician, are now complaining about Trump doing what the others did, is the point I am making.

Just pointing out the usual hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies