Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM

67 posts, read 44,943 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine tested positive for Covid when at the hospital for a cyst on her ovary. She was tested twice and is asymptomatic and was told she will not have symptoms because she has a “low viral load” which is what most people with the virus have and it was highly unlikely she infected anyone else. She lives in a state that masks are not mandatory, was out and about and going to work everyday but, has a husband, and kids, yet it’s highly unlikely she infected anyone? We are advised that this disease is so contagious and dangerous yet dr tells my friend that most cases are asymptomatic because of low a viral load and highly unlikely to infect others? What is your perspective on this?

Old 07-09-2020, 09:01 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
My perspective is that I will beleive an epidemiologist over some random doctor any day. I think the doctor has good intentions, but may not be any more knowledgeable than my podiatrist.

I just don't understand why people would not take the most basic and simple of cautions. Here we have somebody that has tested positive, and it seems the smart thing to do would be to isolate for 2 weeks, wear a mask if you must go out, and reduce risks before taking any chances.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
A friend of mine tested positive for Covid when at the hospital for a cyst on her ovary. She was tested twice and is asymptomatic and was told she will not have symptoms because she has a “low viral load” which is what most people with the virus have and it was highly unlikely she infected anyone else. She lives in a state that masks are not mandatory, was out and about and going to work everyday but, has a husband, and kids, yet it’s highly unlikely she infected anyone? We are advised that this disease is so contagious and dangerous yet dr tells my friend that most cases are asymptomatic because of low a viral load and highly unlikely to infect others? What is your perspective on this?
I think testing is conclusively showing this - that there are many more people infected with COVID that are asymptomatic than there are people who are sick enough to be hospitalized.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:31 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
He's right. Either asymptomatic or mild Cold and Flu symptoms.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM

2,774 posts, read 903,626 times
COVID numbers and the media obsession with COVID will drop shaply starting November 4th. Trump's tax returns and more Russian collusion with likely be the new narrative.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:46 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
We have had roughly 3,000,000 positive tests for COVID. We have had 133,000 COVID related deaths. That works out to 4.4 deaths per 100 COVID positive tests.

I guess each person has to decide for themselves whether that is a good figure or a bad one.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Asymptomatic COVID-19 Patients Can Contaminate Their Surroundings: an Environment Sampling Study
https://msphere.asm.org/content/5/3/e00442-20

The implications of silent transmission for the control of COVID-19 outbreaks
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../02/2008373117

Quote:
We found that the majority of incidences may be attributable to silent transmission from a combination of the presymptomatic stage and asymptomatic infections....

Specifically, if 17.9% of infections are asymptomatic , we found that the presymptomatic stage and asymptomatic infections account for 48% and 3.4% of transmission, respectively (

Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM

13,620 posts, read 4,940,342 times
Probably true that most cases are either asymptomatic or mild. However, that can change overnight. Also, it is absolutely false that she couldn't infect others because she was asymptomatic:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/asympt...ry?id=71647268

I'm not familiar with the data relating viral load to infectivity. My guess is that her doctor didn't want her to worry about having infected someone else since there was nothing she could do about it anyway.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 AM

256 posts, read 87,233 times
Quote:
I somehow think that the over 132,000 who have died will not be comforted by hearing this.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
A cold virus is spread this way because someone may have an occasional cough like allergies but spreading cold virus in the office and eventually that cough is spread quickly. COVID19 is a cold virus that can be easily spread by someone who isn't sick but infected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies