Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:25 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Conference games are safe for players to play but non-conference games aren't? Ridiculous. This has to be optics related to make the media and fans believe the conferences are being proactive while still being able to use the players to make big money.
From what I am hearing the whole point of this is to spread the conference schedule throughout the entire season (Sept. through November) where they can reschedule games if need be. This year I believe there was one open date per team. Now they will have maybe four. If there is an outbreak they can move a game to one of those open dates rather than cancel the game.

I imagine they may still have to cancel games but this way they can likely get the conference games in over the course of the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:37 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,745 times
Quote:
Conference games are safe for players to play but non-conference games aren't? Ridiculous. This has to be optics related to make the media and fans believe the conferences are being proactive while still being able to use the players to make big money.

They should cancel college and pro sports seasons and wait until we have a Covid-19 vaccine, which reportedly wont be available until at least the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2021. If they don't cancel now they'll probably be forced to cancel midway through the season after players start to fall ill and some of them die, coaches too. I'd like to see some of these big name coaches and players stand up and say no way, the risk is too severe.
For the Big Ten, they were saying that every school has testing capabilities that they weren't sure other conferences (probably MAC and smaller) would have.

That's what they say.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:43 AM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
due to COVID-19.

Actually all fall sports will only play conference games but I focused on football because of its financial importance.

I'll be surprised if everything isn't cancelled by August 1st.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ll-sports-fall
They may have no other choice but to cancel the season, too much risk.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know the Big 10, bjut since the ACC went conference-only, that cut out some historic rivalry games. For instance, South Carolina and Clemson have played every year for more than a century. But not this year unless something changes. Same with Florida and Miami, Georgia and Georgia Tech and more than I can think of at the moment.

'Course, I doubt we get any college ball any time soon

It would seem more logical to keep games geographically closer. The ACC stretches from Massachusetts to Miami, but all the players and families who live in the same state (Clemson and South Carolina) can't play? Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Pac-12 joined the Big10 in having only in conference games this year.
At least I won't have to suffer watching UCLA lose to USC again.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:32 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
OH wow, the economy wont be able to handle that!

Also, if NFL doesnt play this fall, that is going to create some HUGE implications for stadium 'ownership' issues, where cities have staked the teams home, this has the potential to be VERY bad for numerous cities and teams.
Cities have no business funding sports stadiums. Maybe they will learn a harsh lesson through this.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
If they don't cancel now they'll probably be forced to cancel midway through the season after players start to fall ill and some of them die,
The odds of that are slim to none. Young healthy kids can get the virus and shake it off in a day or two.

That would build some herd immunity.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
For the Big Ten, they were saying that every school has testing capabilities that they weren't sure other conferences (probably MAC and smaller) would have.

That's what they say.
That's really strange. Last time I checked they all had working phones.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 6,534,658 times
This may be a useful opportunity to test a championship tourney at the end of the season. Teams won't be so worn out, so they should be able to play in a 32-team tourney.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:13 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route39 View Post
No way. College football is too big of a moneymaker to fully cancel.
It's a money maker as long as fans fill the stands. But this year they won't....

Old 07-11-2020, 01:24 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's a money maker as long as fans fill the stands. But this year they won't....
TV money is the concern. No gate will hurt but the programs need that TV money if they want to continue to fund their athletic programs at anywhere near current levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies