Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
So it’s a giant conspiracy in your mind. Gotcha.

Ah, the "C" word! It's a dull sword. Try cutting me with it. I no longer bleed from your words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 12:17 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Not exactly greatest generation stuff, this. More like the whiniest generation.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Not exactly greatest generation stuff, this. More like the whiniest generation.

Right. Way whinier than these guys.

https://www.omahacentralregister.com...ates-violence/
https://libertynewsnow.com/chicago-p...on/article7373
https://www.dailycardinal.com/articl...supporting-blm
https://www.blackpast.org/african-am...-riots-2015-2/

Old 07-11-2020, 12:39 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Are We Giving Up Too Much?
Of course we are. And we have been doing so since right after WWI (debatably, even earlier). It's been a long road to complete subjugation, but we've nearly made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Many are saying that Americans should simply follow the health directives without question and to make sacrifices for the common good.

While the nation did come together during WWII, WWI, and several other wars, there was an understanding that sacrifices would have a definitive ending with a return to normalcy.

The more applicable example to what we have today is 9/11. After 9/11, Americans made sacrifices to their personal freedoms to fight the war on terror. Many American lives were lost in Afghanistan. Many lives were lost in Iraq. Both wars were initially sold to us as being necessary for our security but in the end both wars were a needless waste of lives with ever shifting goalposts for why we were in those countries.

19 years since 9/11 and we still have not gotten back any of the freedoms that we sacrificed. In fact, airport security and government surveillance has become even more restrictive and Orwellian. We are still have soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With COVID like with 9/11, we were initially told that measures taken would be a short term situation. Now, we are being told that these things are likely permanent. We are being told to get used to a new normal and that life will never return to the way it was. The government keep shifting the goal posts. First it was two weeks. Then it was a few months. Then it was wait for a vaccine. Now, it is a series of vaccines every year or multiple times a year. Some say we need to keep restrictions in place until there are no cases of this virus. Some say we need to to keep restrictions in place permanently because there will be future pandemics.

We are already being warned about the next pandemic. Pandemics are becoming like terror attacks. Homeland security used to have a color code for the terror threat level. It was always one of the highest levels for the 10 years DHS used it. We are seeing similar things now with COVID and pandemic threats.

Like a war, there needs to be an end goal. Without an enemy to defeat or objective to achieve, this will be an endless cycle of pandemics to give those in power more control.

Airports in 2020 are still the same pain in the butt that they became after 9/11. Now in 2020, bars and restaurants are empty. Movies and sporting events are banned. Like airports after 9/11, the rest of society is being re-built with social distancing in mind. I fear that like the Patriot Act, these measures won't ever go away. There will always be a threat. If COVID goes away, something new will replace it. Politicians never want to voluntarily give up control.
As the tyranny has manifested itself over the years, personally, it hasn't been all that hard for me to avoid. I haven't flown in an aircraft since before the SS took over the airports years ago (I think the last time was 1999). No big deal for me because I really have no place to go and no interest in travel. When the health care slavery law came along, I was more upset than I'd been in my entire life. But, there were ways around that tyranny as well. Generally, I find I am able to avoid much of the tyranny by simply detaching from whatever it is that is tyrannizing. I'm by nature an introvert anyway, so I don't mind avoiding things and keeping social interaction to a minimum. Avoidance has been relatively easy. The idea is to just stay out of sight and out of mind.

But this covid thing is another matter. If I had a ten year supply of food and were independently wealthy, I'd simply surround my home with a 10 foot iron bar fence, have things I need delivered, and never set foot off the property. But I can't do that. So, I have to play the do-this-or-else power game that everyone seems to be so enthralled with.

Actually, come to think of it, if I were independently wealthy I'd be far out in the hinterlands somewhere in a fenced off homestead compound, never having to deal with the insanity and tyranny that is going on all around us again. Nobody these days wants to mind their own business; they want to mind everyone else's.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:50 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Going to move to South Dakota, where their gubernatorial history leans decidedly Republican and their current Governor is a strong, smart woman who has a will of iron.
Seems to be one of the few states where liberty is still fairly strongly favored, or actually even understood.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:51 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The greater good is to keep people employed, businesses open, schools open, etc. at the risk of a small percentage of people that will die due to covid.

The greater good is not shutting down the country putting the majority at risk for the small percentage of people that ultimately only have a few years left to live anyway or people at high risk due to their own life choices. This is destroying the country.

We should all be alarmed that the roaring economy was stopped dead to prevent the spread of the virus. We were told 2 weeks of closure and then a month and certain parts of my state MA. is still shut down. There are some places, mostly small business that will never open again.

What really upset people was that large stores like Walmart, Lowes, Target were allowed to open but small stores that sold shoes, clothes etc were forced to close their doors and keep them closed. Our Governor never had a good answer why it was ok to buy sneaker at a Walmart but the mom and pop store selling the same risked fines if they opened?

People dying from the virus is terrible but what we have done to the economy could actually crush more people and have far reaching consequences and what happens when the virus comes back like the Flu does?

Old 07-11-2020, 12:53 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
The whole "social distancing" thing is completely ridiculous, I'm sorry.

That the elites want to enforce this INSANE policy on the rest of us for who knows how long is just mind-blowing and unfeasible, even though they don't follow it themselves (hypocrites!).

Old 07-11-2020, 12:57 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
March - May 25 = covid covid covid
May 25 - July = impending race war, protest, riot
July - Present = covid covid covid

I am starting to see a trend

Old 07-11-2020, 01:00 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
In other countries they crushed the curve and are opening up. In the U.S, under President Trumps leadership we decided to do things backwards.....and now we are pretending there is no problem.

Other countries aren't America.

We have a different, more open and free society with many different states and municipalities that are handling Covid-19 in their own ways.

Many other countries have a more centralized Government and power structure..

Their way may be good for containing a virus.

Our way is better for preserving freedom.

You can tell what side of the fence you're on in America by which of those two things are more important to you.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:05 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
In other countries they crushed the curve and are opening up. In the U.S, under President Trumps leadership we decided to do things backwards.....and now we are pretending there is no problem.
Other countries are not in an election year, or they have smaller population, or they have centralized government and it is easy to control the pandemic......and personal freedom.

I remember when a conservative poster on CD posted a thread comparing the infection rate between Wyoming and New York City, then libs posters cried foul because it's apples to oranges to compare a flyover state like WY to city of the world like NYC.

Now you are doing the exact same thing but it is country to country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies