Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are alot of illnesses that came out of China, India, and other countries. Why this particular illness? I don't recall hearing SARS being called "kung flu". To be blunt, I think the only reason people want to call it that is because of ethnic anger at Chinese people. It's called Covid-19.

Hey honey, let's have sexual intercourse, tonight.

Or is there some other slang you like to use? If you use the slang, can your partner figure it out what you are talking about, or does it offend them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 AM

13,701 posts, read 9,032,426 times
Indeed, the next time President Trump refers to the "1917 Spanish Flu", he must be advised that the proper name is the "1918 Kansas Flu", since said influenza arose (so the evidence suggests) in Kansas, in 1918.

The 2009 pandemic arose in the United States. I believe the first two cases were in California, hence "California Flu".

We must be consistent, after all.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:11 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,265,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Indeed, the next time President Trump refers to the "1917 Spanish Flu", he must be advised that the proper name is the "1918 Kansas Flu", since said influenza arose (so the evidence suggests) in Kansas, in 1918.

The 2009 pandemic arose in the United States. I believe the first two cases were in California, hence "California Flu".

We must be consistent, after all.
I'm torn between Republican Disease, Trump Virus, GOPandemic, or MAGAflu, personally. They all fit so well.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:13 PM

628 posts, read 210,153 times
Quote:
Okay then, why do people WANT to call it "Kung flu" or "China flu" rather than Covid-19?
Easy, because "kung flu" is both 1) AWESOME and 2) hilarious, and "china flu" is colloquially adequate.

These terms only offend those who are professionally offended.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:47 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,152,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...lu-china-virus

Americans have spoken: we disapprove of the terms “kung flu” and “China flu”. It is interesting to note that 2/3rd of respondents thought these terms are inappropriate, while 2/3rd in another large poll disapprove of Trump’s response to the pandemic.

Clearly, Americans see through Trump’s futile attempts to distract and deflect. We place significant blame on Trump for his poor response to the pandemic and the subsequent economic fallout.

The more he and his supporters continue to use these terms to describe COVID-19, the more Americans get tired of the deflection. The question is, will Trump wisen up and stop using these buzzwords that Americans automatically associate with his failure? Will he start acting responsibly?

As I said a while back, I think we should call it the "pangolin flu."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ot-racist.html

That's a nice, distinctive name.

Failing that, Wuhan flu. It shouldn't be just "China" because god knows there may be future flu from China.

But I liked "Kung Flu. I thought it was kid of clever. In fact, it's so amusing that I doubt Trump thought of it, since he hasn't much sense of humor and his vocabulary is too limited for word play.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:57 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
Easy, because "kung flu" is both 1) AWESOME and 2) hilarious, and "china flu" is colloquially adequate.

These terms only offend those who are professionally offended.
In short, acting obnoxious and hateful is something fun, a way to get one's rocks off.

And I would expect you to claim "professionally offended". Perhaps persons like me take issue to being vindictive and obnoxious for sport.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,350,779 times
Quote:
In short, acting obnoxious and hateful is something fun, a way to get one's rocks off.

And I would expect you to claim "professionally offended". Perhaps persons like me take issue to being vindictive and obnoxious for sport.
It’s not just you. Health professionals, scientists, and really any adult with an emotional maturity greater than a 5th grader’s don’t call this “kung flu” or “China Virus”. The pandemic has brought out two discrete camps: the responsible adults and the juvenile bullies. And we know the juvenile bullies take their cue from the Grand Wizard of bullies: Trump.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:21 PM

628 posts, read 210,153 times
Quote:

Your professionally-offended ass can take it as hateful all you want. That doesn't change the fact that we're not saying it out of hate. Just because you want it to seem hateful doesn't mean it is and doesn't mean that's how it was intended.

YOU are changing the narrative and are in the wrong for it.

Obnoxious is a subjective term. As far as I'm concerned, you qualify but I doubt you'd agree and in the end neither one of our opinions matter.

See how that works?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:48 PM

24,715 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Only hateful people call it "China virus" or "kung flu".
So what do you call the Spanish virus?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:05 PM

57,422 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Wow, it's so hurtful to call it anything other than Covid.

Such Pansy ass sissy babies.

CHINA VIRUS.

It came from CHINA
Childish for a president but we are used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies