Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I've filled out a lot of credit applications in my life.

Never had one ask me what race I am

If a black guy with an 800 credit score and a white guy with a 550 credit score both apply for a loan....

Which one do you think is going to get a better rate?

And don't even make me laugh with quoting the ALCU.

Even as recently as 2008, many black families don't have Internet or be able to apply for a loan online. So they go to the banks/brokers in persons.

A black guy with an 800 credit score will probably get a better rate than a white guy with a 550 score (assuming all other factors being equal).

But there are many cases of a black guy with an 800 credit score getting a worse-off rates than a white guy who also has an 800 credit score.

The point here is Privilege. No one is saying people are openly and purposely oppressing minorities, but there is a bias built into the system that somehow gives some advantages to certain groups.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 10:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And those articles are often written by White people. I can go to a conservative media source and find blogs and news articles criticizing Black people.
So, is it a privileged then or not? If both races have the same issue, is either one privileged in this regards?

Old 07-15-2020, 10:55 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Even as recently as 2008, many black families don't have Internet or be able to apply for a loan online. So they go to the banks/brokers in persons.

A black guy with an 800 credit score will probably get a better rate than a white guy with a 550 score (assuming all other factors being equal).

But there are many cases of a black guy with an 800 credit score getting a worse-off rates than a white guy who also has an 800 credit score.

The point here is Privilege. No one is saying people are openly and purposely oppressing minorities, but there is a bias built into the system that somehow gives some advantages to certain groups.

2008? That is 12 years ago. Last I saw, blacks have about an 85% versus whites at 92% Internet usage rate, not a big gap at all.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Privilege is having your great great grandpa and grandma kidnapped, brought to a foreign country where they were striped of their freedom, were owned like properties and made to work hard labor with no pay. Same fate with their kids.

Oh wait, that didn't come out right. Let me try again..

Privilege is having to face over decades of racist policies like redlining that robs you of the chance to build equity with home ownership which results in you falling behind your peers and having to catch up due to no fault of your own...

Oh wait, let me try again...

Privilege is living in a country where the president retweeted "White Power"....

Geez, I'm just not good at this.

On What plantation were you held as a slave? What JIm Crow laws have hurt you personally?? Bueller........

Cheer UP!! NOW, you basically have carte blanche to get payback from evil YT!! You won't be held accountable!!!

So you can take your vengeance out on some YT, do whatever you so choose, and cry "racism", and you'll get away with it. THAT alone should dry your victim tears, and put mpre "Bebop" in your step!!!

Old 07-15-2020, 11:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Every white has those.

Black americans don't and maghrébine here don't either.
Last person to Google is a rotten egg!

Old 07-15-2020, 11:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
And those articles are often written by White people. I can go to a conservative media source and find blogs and news articles criticizing Black people.
your point? and I can just open up social media and find a metric ton of anti-white hate, which is acceptable, and black criticism is not. The pendulum has swung to the other side now. You should be happy. YT is getting theirs

Old 07-15-2020, 12:03 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
your point? and I can just open up social media and find a metric ton of anti-white hate, which is acceptable, and black criticism is not. The pendulum has swung to the other side now. You should be happy. YT is getting theirs
It isn't natural or rational that such a small segment of the population is just given that level of power from the very people they hate. It isn't organic at all.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:06 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
And this is quite true. Privilege is about not having to worry about how you are perceived in the larger society. It is about not worrying about whether or not you will be looked down on because of your ethnicity or skin color. It is about not having to prove that you belong.
so remove ethnicity and skin color and replace with gender, physical attractiveness, intelligence.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:15 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times
Quote:
Plenty of Black men have had their lives ruined, by non Black persons. And very often it's involved things like being falsely accused of crimes. I think about the Innocence Project. Notice that 60% of those that were exonerated thanks to DNA evidence have been Black men. That is alot of Black men who spent time in prison for stuff they didn't do.
Those are overwhelmingly cases of female privilege.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Lol, $300 goes toward property taxes, doesn't cover it. Just an expense combined with many other taxes and bills that added up could buy me a lot of bling if I wasn't working and paying for people who don't work, yet own a lot more luxury items than I could afford to buy for myself.

If you don't have to work to live you are privileged, and I have to work to live.

So sure maybe some of us are jealous because we are getting ripped off and other people benefit, many of them young and healthy and capable yet they get to run around in designer duds and protest and not have to work and worry about taxes, insurance, retirement and all the things productive people have to worry about. It must be great to just not have to care and still have security and nice things and be so spoiled you feel entitled to steal on camera and beat up cops like you own the damn world, while good hard working responsible people are being threatened.
Sounds like you would prefer to give up your job b/c government benefits would make your life better. I imagine you are making minimum wage. I could see where you might be jealous in that case but if one is netting 10k a month, is that not better than getting <$1,000/month or whatever benefits pay. Why one would one be jealous of someone that is barely making it, is beyond me. If I want to waste my money on designer clothes then I would. I think you are stuck with Reagan's welfare momma that drives a Mercedes mantra. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies