Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 03:50 PM

866 posts, read 320,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Back at ya. There are countless examples of privilege - economic, race, social, etc. One merely needs to open one's eyes to see them.
Sure there are. Everyone in the US has privileges most of the world does not. That's my whole point. Sorry it went over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 04:03 PM

19,679 posts, read 12,265,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
OK, if you think living in the hood and receiving the EITC that you seem to think affords luxury items--be my guest. Quit yer job, sign up for a section 8 voucher (if the list is even open) and wait years to get it, then sign up for Medicare, start taking in kids to watch in your living room and then live a grand life. Personally, I think you cray cray. Good luck if you think that is a better life than what you currently have. Next you'll tell me you're jealous of homeless people cause they don't have to cook.
And you have highly questionable reading comprehension skills but good at spin and hyperbole. I hear CNN pays well.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:11 PM

19,074 posts, read 27,661,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Where is their free daycare in America? We don't have that.

Some companies offer free daycare to their employees. Is that what you're referring to?

Actually, when we immigrated and were on welfare, until we completed our education, we did have free child care. Older boy didn't qualify, he was 11 by that time, but our 3 yo went to - not sure, what's the name - Even Start , or something, that helped us a lot while we went to ESL and other classes. It's been long time, I do not remember specifics of all the programs, but we had him covered until he went to school.
Maybe it depends on income level? We lived off $620 a month, family of 4.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:39 PM

19,074 posts, read 27,661,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Still, how do you explain that a black was president of the United dates.

Still, how do they explain that blacks are Senators, Governor, Mayors, High school principles, actors singers, millionaires NOT related to sports, and in sports being blacks are only 1/3 of our population, a LOT of whites pay their salaries, CEO's, president of big and small companies where most of the people who work their are white, doctors, lawyers, managers, newscaster on national TV, and every other high position job and every other level of jobs in America.

Other then the original list not 1 person has offered any other case of "systemic" racism.

Huh, even black slave owners.
Easy Google.
Also, do not forget, that across entire 19th century and into the first decades of the 20th, blacks, as freed slaves, were offered free path and financial aid to move back to Africa. Which they overwhelmingly declined (?? if they are so much NOW into their African heritage, that even white democrats kneel, wearing Quanza symbols) and, those who did move to Liberia, created exactly same society, only this time, it was black supremacy over local blacks. Apparently, they were "better kind".
Again, easy find on Google about Liberia origins.

I, also, want to point out one historical fact. Racism is modern invention. I'd say, about over 250 years ago, if not less, racism was not known. All over the world, you had people, promoted based on their virtues and skill, not on their skin color. You were, what you are, not "white" or "black" or else. Also, in the same times, slaves were slaves. They were not exclusively black or red. They were whatever slave traders picked.

I am also tempted to suggest to be more specific when talking about "white slave traders". As "whites" are also not the same all across the world. A lighter skin color does not make you white and, certain lighter skinned folks run certain trade houses that specialized in slave trade. Maybe, THEY should be charged with reparations, not ALL of light skinned people? Again, do your research.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,168,054 times
Louis CK says it best....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87LGmm1M5Is

Old 07-15-2020, 05:05 PM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Privilege....ahh , what bourbon should i open tonight ? The 1792 Barrel Proof, Stagg Jr. or the EH Taylor Barrel Proof to go along with my $20 cigar ?

Old 07-15-2020, 05:08 PM

24,685 posts, read 9,499,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Privilege is thinking that Blacks should be able to take whatever complaining is dished out at them, and should ignore whatever grievances they have.

And yes, I was very happy to see Confederate statues defaced. So what?
Privilege is thinking those complaints against us blacks aren't valid and that those grievances from us blacks aren't excuses or self-inflicted.

Well, let's see if you're happy when folks start coming after Civil Rights statues in retaliation. Eye for an eye.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,630,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Privilege....ahh , what bourbon should i open tonight ? The 1792 Barrel Proof, Stagg Jr. or the EH Taylor Barrel Proof to go along with my $20 cigar ?
Maker's Mark.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:08 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,630,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
(from an unnamed poster in another forum)

1) Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when you’ve never had a job.

2) Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance.

3) Privilege is having a Smartphone with a Data plan, which you receive no bill for.

4) Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don’t have a utility or phone bill and where rising property taxes, rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table, which is largely covered by Government Food Stamps.

5) Privilege is having free health insurance for you and your family that's paid for by working taxpayers who often can't afford proper health coverage for their own families.

6) Privilege is having multiple national organizations promoting and protecting just your race alone -- that are subsidized by federal tax dollars.

7) Privilege is having access to a national college fund that supports only your race.

8) Privilege is having a television network that supports only one race.

9) Privilege is having most of the media news networks refuse to cover incidents wherein one race (one-eighth of the population) commits 50% of the crimes.

10) Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest against anything that triggers you, without worrying about calling off from work and the consequences that accompany such.

11) Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or pre-school you don’t pay for.

12) Privilege is being able to vote in many states without showing a driver's license, voter ID card or other credentials -- just because your race claims they should be exempt from such requirements.

13) Privilege is being able to riot, loot, commit arson and tear down historic monuments without consequences -- just because you don't like folks such as Columbus, U. S. Grant or even Lincoln.

14) Privilege is having most of your life paid for by the working men and women who DO HAVE TO DEAL WITH RISING TAXES AND COSTS! you know, those you now call “PRIVILEGED”."

----------------------------------------------

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/we-a...151323230.html

(look for comments by poster "Matthew")
Wow. 19 Reputation points so far for this post alone.

Thank you, everybody!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:18 PM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Maker's Mark.
Come on, that is like the PBR of bourbon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies