Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:42 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I can’t wait for a cashless society! It’ll make people be responsible and get a ****ing bank account.
Many people can't get bank accounts due to bad credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:16 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Take your loose coins to the grocery store and dump them in the coin sorting machine for a refund. I took a baggy of change in and got $22 in paper money. I will spend that at some point but I'm not gonna carry that much change around so it just accumulates.

We will never be cashless. I was in Europe recently and liked the Euro denomination coins. Canada does the same thing. American's can't figure it out. When is the last time you used a $2 bill?

Old 07-17-2020, 02:12 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, the most we take is 2%, and that is only when the check is over $2500. The reason we get so much business cashing checks is because our fees are lower than anyone else in the area, including the banks that the checks are drawn on.

However, thank you for personally attacking me and my business. It reminds me why I rarely put any credence to your opinion.
Likewise, but then again, conservatives and liberals seem to have different views of reality, and both think the other is wrong. Part of why this country is so divided....

Old 07-17-2020, 02:22 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
No place charges "one-third" the amount of the check to cash it! Methinks somebody got ripped off.
I've always had a bank account. I've heard of check cashing places charging usurous fees to cash paychecks.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:01 AM

866 posts, read 319,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Some people have such a broken moral compass that they project how they would behave onto others, and use that projected behavior as a reason to attack them.
Could be the wisest words in the history of C-D

Old 07-17-2020, 05:11 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I can’t wait for a cashless society! It’ll make people be responsible and get a ****ing bank account.
But then you are also dependent on technology and electricity, even in times of crisis.

Wwyd if (God forbid) "something happened" and you couldn't access the digital dollars on your debit card?

<SYSTEM ERROR>

~I keep money in the bank, but I always keep money in my pockets.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:21 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
I can see why some banks would refuse to a checking account to someone, but even if you just have a saving account you can still cash a check there for free, most savings account are only a $5.00 min.

Schools have really failed kids today by not teaching basic banking.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:08 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I was at an Ace Hardware today, and bought some nuts and bolts for just over one dollar. I paid with two 1 dollar bills, and got a JFK 50 cent piece with a few other coins back. I was surprised when I saw the 50 cent coin, first one given to me in change in many, many years. Can't even remember the last time I had one. The cashier was low on quarters!

Only once ever did I see a JFK 50 cent piece available for change and that was at the customer service booth at a local supermarket. I admit myself as one of the very few people out there still spending half dollars and $2 bills just like ordinary money, so much that my relatives thought that single half dollar at the customer service booth was left there from the last time I spent one at the supermarket.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:24 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Who is using cash these days?

I haven't used cash in 7 months.
I typically have a few hundred in bills in my wallet. Aside from the gas pumps, I usually pay cash almost everywhere. Online purchases are different.

I’m redoing a house I recently inherited. The contractors I’m working with have all given me better prices when I’ve made it clear I’m willing to pay straight cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Take your loose coins to the grocery store and dump them in the coin sorting machine for a refund. I took a baggy of change in and got $22 in paper money. I will spend that at some point but I'm not gonna carry that much change around so it just accumulates.
The Coinstar machines at the grocery store charges what, like 9-11% to turn those coins into bills? But, you can get 100% value when exchanging coins for gift cards, so I turn my coin jar into Amazon bucks which I’m going to use soon thereafter.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:19 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
As I posted in another forum, this is a good opportunity to get rid of the penny and concentrate on minting the other coins, especially quarters which are a lot more useful. Businesses are already starting to round sales up or down due to the coin shortage just like they do in Canada. It is only a matter of time that the U.S. resolves this costly issue as well.
That is half of a temporary solution. Nickel production also costs more than face value. Inflation, especially in metal prices, will eventually make all current coins more expensive than face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies