Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
^^^ That statement is ludicrous. Iran is a Muslim caliphate. The US is a free Republic with a bill of rights and a constitution. Although the political left is trying to squelch free speech so perhaps they are the ones trying to turn the US into Iran.
Really? What do you call the recent Supreme Court ruling that allows tax money (vouchers) to go to religious schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 11:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Really? What do you call the recent Supreme Court ruling that allows tax money (vouchers) to go to religious schools?
freedom of choice for the taxpayer?

that's a good thing. Good luck in Iran finding a non-Islamic education

Old 07-17-2020, 11:19 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Allows =/= forces. In Iran religion is forced onto people.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Of course you are, you'd probably love this country to become a Christian version of Iran

We get that you're a Christian hating heathen liberal, but why do you assume a conservative justice is not going to bring fairness and balance to the position? The last two rulings did not go Trumps way.

On the flipside, if the last three months are any indication, if the SC was ruled by the left, this country will end up looking like Mogadishu within 10 years.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
We get that you're a Christian hating heathen liberal, but why do you assume a conservative justice is not going to bring fairness and balance to the position? The last two rulings did not go Trumps way.
It's worse than that, not only Christian hating, but more importantly Judeo-Christian values hating which is the foundation of Western Civilization and doesn't even require you to be religious. And even worse than that, no spiritual beliefs whatsoever and complete lack of life meaning

Nihilism is one of the biggest problems in US society today

Old 07-17-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's worse than that, not only Christian hating, but more importantly Judeo-Christian values hating which is the foundation of Western Civilization and doesn't even require you to be religious. And even worse than that, no spiritual beliefs whatsoever and complete lack of life meaning

Nihilism is one of the biggest problems in US society today
You don't have to believe in a freaking sky fairy for your life to have meaning. Life is about family and friends and any good you can do, whether it be from your job, a philanthropic endeavor,etc

Old 07-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

On the flipside, if the last three months are any indication, if the SC was ruled by the left, this country will end up looking like Mogadishu within 10 years.
Did you not see that the SC just ruled 5-4 to allow vouchers to be used for religious schools?!?

Old 07-17-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You don't have to believe in a freaking sky fairy for your life to have meaning. Life is about family and friends and any good you can do, whether it be from your job, a philanthropic endeavor,etc
And likewise you don't need to believe it in order to believe in a tradition of Judeo-Christian values which the enlightenment came out of and founded the Western Civilization we enjoy today

Old 07-17-2020, 06:34 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
I've voted democrat most of my life and I've spent the last 3.5 years being as disgusted with Trump as anyone. These last few months though have taken what seemed like background noise about the radical left and amplified it into a loud, blaring wake-up call. The left in America has completely lost it's mind. It consists of either far left radicals or people who may be center left but apologize or enable far left radicals.
So have I. That's why I count myself a liberal Democrat. But these radicals are getting harder and harder to listen to. It's more orchestrated hatred and envy rather than reason.

Quote:
One of the new catchphrases we've been hearing is "Silence is Violence". This is meant to suggest that if you are silent on racism, you are complicit in the violence it causes. The irony of that statement is so ridiculous that it serves as a perfect example of the current leftist insanity!

- Someone who is silent or not vocal enough in denouncing racism is complicit in violence committed by others.
- Meanwhile, people who are LITERALLY engaging in REAL violence, burning cities, attacking and killing people, occupying parts of cities, etc are apologized for and enabled. Their bail is paid for and they are not held to account by the left for their actions.
Or worse, in deep Blue states not being held on bail and realistically, never being tried.
Quote:
So in the left's view. If I stay home, pay my taxes, follow the law, act like a responsible citizen and decline to participate in BLM protests or activism, I am more evil and contemptible than someone who is out burning cities, tearing down public statues and assaulting or killing people! Can you see why this is no longer my party?
And they get a free pass to spread the coronavirus while legitimate people must shut down, since they do obey the law.

Quote:
I'm done with the left! I can't vote for Trump but I won't vote Dem either. Actually, as bad as I thought Trump was, the left in the last few months has horrified my more than the 3.5 years we've just suffered through. I never thought the term "defund or abolish" the police would be taken seriously. I never thought I'd see my own countrymen tearing down our statues and defacing our history. I never thought freedom of speech and ideas would erode to the point that it has in our media and universities.
A read of Lord of the Flies might be quite instructive.

Quote:
It seems like the radical left wants to tear down the system. What do they plan on replacing it with? We had the opportunity to see this in action with CHOP/CHAZ and it ended as badly as you would expect. We are supposed to want to try this on a national level?
My younger son, who is on the autistic spectrum and I were joking around about CHOP/CHAZ. He asked whether they had started reopening from Covid-19. I told him that CHOP/CHAZ was in Phase 1. He said "I don't think there's much building going on there."

Old 07-19-2020, 04:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would say everyone has lost their minds. We're at a point of irreconcilable differences. I wonder how long, given the Covid-19 induced stress, recent riots, and just general hatred all around, before we have a civil war. It sounds extreme to think about. However, it has happened before.
Excellent post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies