Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was Nancy referring to when she compared the Feds to Stormtroopers?
German Military (and I'm over 40 years of age) 35 68.63%
German Military (I'm under 40) 8 15.69%
Star Wars (I'm over 40) 4 7.84%
Star Wars (I'm under 40) 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 07:43 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Yes
Do you think if that she said he was employing "Gestapo tactics" that he would be referencing that Gestapo bad guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark??? She would have seen that with her kids too I reckon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 07:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
In the Pelosi Stormtrooper thread, one member put forward the idea that Nancy was comparing the federal troops to Star Wars Stormtroopers. Once I stopped laughing, I wondered, do other people think this too? And is this an aged based ignorance of history and the common usage of this term.

So help me and my friend Eddie out in this poll please.

What was Nancy referring to?
Germans had 'stormtroopers' in later years of WW-1 (Sturmtruppen - infantry assault troops), and I suppose in Star Wars movie too, but you shouldn't have to ask about what it refers to today, when the name has been widely associated to Trump's federal agents operating in US cities in combat gear.

Many seem to think only Nazis had stomtroopers, but frontal infantry assaults were pretty much out of fashion in WW2, so the Nazi military did not have them. They existed before the war in form of a paramilitary unit who helped Hitler get into power.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The Stormtroopers weer never part of the German military. They were muscle for a political party, like Antifa today.
Well that's true of Hitler's Stormtroopers, but not of the original Stormtroopers who were part of the German Imperial Army in WWI.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:47 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’m sure it was in reference to Nazi Germany.
The term "Stormtrooper" was technically coined not in WW2, but WW1. Stormtroopers were small units armed with numerous grenades and the newly developed MP-18 submachine guns (the first employed in combat). Such units were the strike forces used in the German spring offensive of 1918 which nearly reached Paris.

Of course, the real fascists and "stormtroopers" of today are the ANTIFA anarchists, who are the "shock troops" for the democrat party.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Germans had 'stormtroopers' in WW-1 (Sturmtruppen - infantry assault troops), and I suppose in Star Wars movie too, but you shouldn't have to ask about what it refers to today, when the name has been widely associated to Trump's federal agents operating in US cities in combat gear.
Yes, but the poster I referenced was so sure of the Star Wars link that it caused me to wonder how that could possibly be. My hypothesis is younger age or didn't study history.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:51 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I really doubt that Nancy Pants is a fan of Star Wars but she may be a fan of the Nazi's.

Of course for the 20 something fool on the burning street they certainly see themselves as the brave Rebels attacking the Evil Empire.

Nancy was just repeating what she had heard thinking the mob meant Nazi storm troopers.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Yes, but the poster I referenced was so sure of the Star Wars link that it caused me to wonder how that could possibly be. My hypothesis is younger age or didn't study history.
Based on the comments on this thread the older generation didn't study it either because they immediately thought the nazi military had, or were, 'stormtroopers', when it was mostly a WW-1 thing. Truth be told, even a good history class in school doesn't go into that much detail about the wars. You would learn it if you actually studied history in college, or if you like reading on your own.

But does it matter? The troops operating in US cities are nicknamed 'storm-troopers' be it because of Star Wars, WW1, or ignorance.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:00 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Do you think if that she said he was employing "Gestapo tactics" that he would be referencing that Gestapo bad guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark??? She would have seen that with her kids too I reckon.
The first time I went to Star Wars was because a friend's son saw it, loved it and wanted to share with his friends. every time a scene he liked came up, he grabbed my arm arm and said watch this , watch this. Then my kids wanted to go.

Can't tell you how many Dr Who actors I know of. In my town Dr. Who came on Saturday night around 10:30. All my kids stopped whatever they were doing , even in college to be home to watch together.

From what I have read, Pelosi was involved in all things political, but pretty much stayed out of it until her kids were nearly grown. So yes. I expect she had to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark 3 or 4 times.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Based on the comments on this thread the older generation didn't study it either because they immediately thought the nazi military had, or were, 'stormtroopers', when it was mostly a WW-1 thing. Truth be told, even a good history class in school doesn't go into that much detail about the wars. You would learn it if you actually studied history in college, or if you like reading on your own.

But does it matter? The troops operating in US cities are nicknamed 'storm-troopers' be it because of Star Wars, WW1, or ignorance.
Oh I know they are being called storm troopers by ignorant people. There is no doubt about that.

The Storm Troopers were a massive part of the Nazi Party and their rise to power. And when the ignorant make ignorant comparisons today, it is the Nazi version they are invoking.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The first time I went to Star Wars was because a friend's son saw it, loved it and wanted to share with his friends. every time a scene he liked came up, he grabbed my arm arm and said watch this , watch this. Then my kids wanted to go.

Can't tell you how many Dr Who actors I know of. In my town Dr. Who came on Saturday night around 10:30. All my kids stopped whatever they were doing , even in college to be home to watch together.

From what I have read, Pelosi was involved in all things political, but pretty much stayed out of it until her kids were nearly grown. So yes. I expect she had to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark 3 or 4 times.
I vaguely recall being taken to the cinema to see Star Wars as a 5 year old when it came out. I remember watching it again a few years later and it hadn't improved. I accept I am in the minority in that assessment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies