Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 05:06 PM

56 posts, read 15,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins
This is one of the most transparently stupid troll thread topics on forums anywhere. If someone actually believes this they are truly mentally handicapped or so brainwashed or kool-aid impaired that they have lost any ability to think independently.
Thats why we think this because we are thinking independantly and they havent ever done anything like this before!!

Old 08-02-2020, 05:10 PM

186 posts, read 67,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethang View Post
Thats why we think this because we are thinking independantly and they havent ever done anything like this before!!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov

Old 08-02-2020, 08:00 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Guy View Post
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov
I'm an intellectual and a conservative. I worked with many left leaning liberal people in the music industry and education before I retired. I found that most liberals I knew then often were not readers of books, preferred small talk over lengthy discussions about history or philosophical issues and knew very little about the realities of the political arena.

I believe that Covid or WuFlu as I prefer to call it is real, but that the numbers have been, empirically speaking, all over the map. The reported number of deaths are greatly exaggerated, the risk of getting it greatly exaggerated, and the fact that most people who get it and actually experience any symptoms will survive. And yes, because the left controls almost all media, I believe they are purposely attempting to scare the viewing public and are in favor of keeping things closed down to suppress the economy hoping it will harm President Trump's chance for a second term.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:15 PM

56 posts, read 15,361 times
Very good post my friend!!!

You can clearly see thru it all

Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I got a good history lesson on NPR today re: 1918 Spanish flu and Asian Flu of 1957 and all I learned and about the millions that died, and came away thinking the Covid flu is a hard hard cold/flu/virus, call it what you will and we'll never know the hard numbers of death due to Covid, as SO MANY that died were in poor health, weak immune systems and so many old old old. And the media for this pandemic blew it all to the SKY, reporting every minute, this case, this death, blah blah blah. Constantly instilling FEAR...never instilling working on one's health and getting strong immune system....never....

This was NOT the cases during the other 2 pandemics...and yes the flues are real --

And I don' t see the left as controlling almost all the media...to the contrary....

But I have lost some faith in the left due to this Covid mess and our gov and mayors...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-02-2020 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 08:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I'm an intellectual and a conservative. I worked with many left leaning liberal people in the music industry and education before I retired. I found that most liberals I knew then often were not readers of books, preferred small talk over lengthy discussions about history or philosophical issues and knew very little about the realities of the political arena.

I believe that Covid or WuFlu as I prefer to call it is real, but that the numbers have been, empirically speaking, all over the map. The reported number of deaths are greatly exaggerated, the risk of getting it greatly exaggerated, and the fact that most people who get it and actually experience any symptoms will survive. And yes, because the left controls almost all media, I believe they are purposely attempting to scare the viewing public and are in favor of keeping things closed down to suppress the economy hoping it will harm President Trump's chance for a second term.
You are aware that the media is FOR PROFIT right?

What you are telling me is that you believe in the tooth fairy and Santy Clause..... There is no way anyone with intellect can believe that businesses who want to make money would go bankrupt en masse to get under Trump's skin. I'm as left as they come and my investments are taking a pounding. My industry is on dire straits. But yet you believe in grumpkins and snarks.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Guy View Post

― Issac Asimov
Brilliant

Old 08-02-2020, 08:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
rid of Donald J? Talking to my friend here and he's about 28 or so and believes this, my daughter believes this a lot and I'm beginning to go there. And how it was all started, we'll never know, will we? China and the US, China only, the U.S. only?

This young man would vote for Donald in Nov. My daughter I don't know....and me a lifelong Dem, I don't know....but I would not vote for Donald. Are we permitted to do a "write in"...

If this was all planned out, the damage done will take years to reverse or get back to prosperity for all...hard to believe it was planned, but I'm wondering.

I don't care to read a bunch of links, a simple Yes or No and maybe a few words from this Very Vocal Group.

Show that young man and your daughter this political ad of Trump reading "The Snake" to people at his rally. It's obviously in reference to America being taken in by Trump's lies. The Don is obviously laughing at America for electing him knowing that he would bite America and kill it.

For context, the poem:
On her way to work one morning
Down the path along side the lake
A tender-hearted woman (America) saw a poor half frozen snake (Trump)
"Poor thing, " she cried, "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you"

Instead of saying thanks, the snake gave her a vicious bite
"I saved you," cried the woman
"And you've bitten me, but why?"

"Shut up, silly woman, " said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."

Now the ad which is sure to become a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZJEI4TNMro

Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethang View Post
I'm reminded of the scene in Monty Python's "The Life of Bryan", when a horde of committed acolytes is doggedly trailing the hapless Brian. Exasperated, he yells to the crowd, "You are all individuals!" They immediately respond in one voice, "Yes, we are all individuals!!"... but then a solitary sheepish voice says, "I'm not..."

Quote:
...I have lost some faith in the left due to this Covid mess and our gov and mayors...
I never had much "faith", in left or right. But with every passing year and every passing decade, the crisis-of-the-moment is reported with ever more shrill and insistent exaggeration, as if everything prior was nugatory and small, but behold, the present is enormous and unprecedented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
...There is no way anyone with intellect can believe that businesses who want to make money would go bankrupt en masse to get under Trump's skin. ...
Businesses don't want to lose money, and states don't want to lose tax-revenue. But cover-your-posterior is a more important objective in modern life, than profit or progress or success.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:22 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post

Deaths are not reported the instant they happen. We will not know the death toll until the epidemic finally winds down, and it will be an estimate. If anything the reported numbers are low, as confirmed by analyses of excess deaths.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2767980

The risk of getting it is not exaggerated. It is more infectious than influenza. Most will survive, but many get very sick, those who recover are reporting it takes a long time, and there is evidence that a significant number will have possible permanent disabilities, including those who have had heart damage, lung damage, kidney damage, and amputations.

If opening things up results in more infections, then people will stop patronizing businesses. What will that do to the economy?

Quote:
I got a good history lesson on NPR today re: 1918 Spanish flu and Asian Flu of 1957 and all I learned and about the millions that died, and came away thinking the Covid flu is a hard hard cold/flu/virus, call it what you will and we'll never know the hard numbers of death due to Covid, as SO MANY that died were in poor health, weak immune systems and so many old old old. And the media for this pandemic blew it all to the SKY, reporting every minute, this case, this death, blah blah blah. Constantly instilling FEAR...never instilling working on one's health and getting strong immune system....never....

This was NOT the cases during the other 2 pandemics...and yes the flues are real --

And I don' t see the left as controlling almost all the media...to the contrary....

But I have lost some faith in the left due to this Covid mess and our gov and mayors...
COVID-19 is not a cold, it is not flu, it is a disease cause by SARS-CoV-2, which is a virus.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...23-p54mfc.html

"When I read anything about "boosting the immune system", I immediately know that the user doesn’t actually know how the immune system works."

"From a physician's perspective, the language of "boosting" the immune system becomes particularly ridiculous when you consider that uncontrolled high levels of immune activity can actually cause tissue damage as a result of inflammation."

"When I see ads for supplements and essential oils claiming to boost immunity, I can see the appeal. We all want to do something to make ourselves and those we love safe.

Getting enough sleep and exercise, eating well and maintaining social connections are all excellent for mental and physical wellbeing and optimising immune function. However, until there is a vaccine, no amount of vitamins can boost your immune system and protect against COVID-19."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies