Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 03:08 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Not that many people are dying from Covid.
There is so much wrong with your attachment, I don't even know where to begin.

First of all, the global death toll from COVID is over 700K, not 488K. And that is in 6 months. We still have to count the deaths in the next 6 months.

2018 was a bad flu season. 650k is not typical. The average yearly global flu mortality rate is 389K, and most of those deaths are in 3rd world countries, many, in Africa.

In the US, 157K have died from COVID so far. So in 6 months, the US mortality rate is already quadruple the average 1 year mortality rate from the flu, and it is likely to be a lot more than that 6 months from now, once an entire year is tallied.

And lastly, it is asinine to compare it's "severity" to the Spaish Flu 100 years ago. Modern medicine has saved so many lives that would have been lost if we were working with 1918 medicine and technology. They didn't have any of the machines that we are using to save lives today. Millions of lives have been saved with ventilators, high flow oxygen, CPAP, BIPAP, pulse oximetry, capnography, etc. Millions more have been saved with modern drugs, like IL-6 inhibitors, dexamethasone, antivirals, hydroxychloroquine, blood thinners, cardiac drugs, renal (kidney) drugs, respiratory drugs, etc. They didn't have any of these things 100 years ago. Back then, you got sick and died while the doctors, nurses, and family watched.

There is no way to compare the severity of 2 different virus outbreaks that happened 100 years apart. I have no doubt, if there is a viral pandemic 100 years from now, a lot less people will die from it than today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 03:22 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,901,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

First of all, the global death toll from COVID is over 700K, not 488K. And that is in 6 months. We still have to count the deaths in the next 6 months.

2018 was a bad flu season. 650k is not typical. The average yearly global flu mortality rate is 389K, and most of those deaths are in 3rd world countries, many, in Africa.

In the US, 157K have died from COVID so far. So in 6 months, the US mortality rate is already quadruple the average 1 year mortality rate from the flu, and it is likely to be a lot more than that 6 months from now, once an entire year is tallied.

And lastly, it is asinine to compare it's "severity" to the Spaish Flu 100 years ago. Modern medicine has saved so many lives that would have been lost if we were working with 1918 medicine and technology. They didn't have any of the machines that we are using to save lives today. Millions of lives have been saved with ventilators, high flow oxygen, CPAP, BIPAP, pulse oximetry, capnography, etc. Millions more have been saved with modern drugs, like IL-6 inhibitors, dexamethasone, antivirals, hydroxychloroquine, blood thinners, cardiac drugs, renal (kidney) drugs, respiratory drugs, etc. They didn't have any of these things 100 years ago. Back then, you got sick and died while the doctors, nurses, and family watched.

There is no way to compare the severity of 2 different virus outbreaks that happened 100 years apart. I have no doubt, if there is a viral pandemic 100 years from now, a lot less people will die from it than today.
Almost everyone who went on a ventilator died. They hardly saved anyone. And where do you get your statistics? How many people total have been hospitalized with covid?

Old 08-05-2020, 03:34 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
As time goes by, science is showing us this is much less deadly than anyone thought.

Not really. It was estimated at 0.5% or less back in March. Still the same. Meantime - if ZERO people died, it would change nothing - because this isn't about preventing death (primarily). It's about not straining our medical resources.

Don't argue. Go look it up yourself. Flattening the curve is not about reducing deaths - it's about postponing them.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:50 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Almost everyone who went on a ventilator died. They hardly saved anyone. And where do you get your statistics? How many people total have been hospitalized with covid?
Umm, you are a little behind the times. I ran a COVID ICU for 3 months. That was true at first. In the initial weeks, we lost 90% of the patients on ventilators. 100% of them would have died without the ventilators, BTW.

But then the people who survived the first few weeks on the ventilator, ended up living. Once they got through the initial onslaught of the virus, and the hypercoagulabilty, their chance of living increased exponentially. The overall mortality rate started to drop and continued to drop.

When all was said and done, the ventilator mortality rate was down to 50%.

Again, that would have been 100% without the ventilators. We only put people on ventilators when death was imminent.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:18 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
This question is on the border of being mentally ill to me.

How many people must die for Covid to be 'not that bad to me?"
We are approaching 5 Million people who have fallen ill to the disease, and the number grows daily. Hourly.

More than 150,000 of us have died so far. That's the number of a good-sized city anywhere in the United States or the world.

It's crashed our economy, and is laying waste to the entire world.

How much worse can it be to make bad enough to be serious in your estimation, Tabbychic?

Old 08-05-2020, 04:42 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

plot twist. covid was already around in 2018.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,269 times
Influenza H1N1 and COVID19 are very different viruses.
COVID19 causes your body to create microthrombi which block blood flow into parts of your organs. This leads to brain, heart, lung, and kidney damage. The effect of COVID19 is life long damage. Even asymptomatic people are showing lung, heart, and kidney damage.

I had H1N1 and was in bed for three weeks. I would take that any day over brain, lung, heart, or kidney damage. I would rather get sick and get over it than have COVID19-caused lung or heart damage that prevents me from ever going hiking again.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
plot twist. covid was already around in 2018.
Where? Source?

Old 08-05-2020, 05:17 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Where? Source?
I was joking, but traces of the virus were found in waste samples as early as spring 2019 and xrays of patients with pneumonia looked similar to covid patients also some time around mid 2019.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I was joking, but traces of the virus were found in waste samples as early as spring 2019 and xrays of patients with pneumonia looked similar to covid patients also some time around mid 2019.
Still would like to see your source. Researchers in Seattle tested samples from nasal swabs taken for an influenza study in early 2020 and the first one that was positive was obtained on February 24.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2008646

Other pneumonias can cause the same appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies