Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 12:56 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
And??????
No "and" needed. It's exactly what I posted.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with suspending kids for using their cell phones for any use, including taking pictures, which is against the discipline code. I know everyone wants to make this about taking pictures of masks, or lack there of, but they got suspended for using their cell phone during unauthorized times. They gave the school the proof they did it by posting the pictures on social media. This occurred pre-covid, it’s not new.

One other point, the school can not publish (ie, put on Facebook) a child’s picture without the parent’s pre-obtained permission. I assure you, the kids publishing those pictures did not get permission from each of those kids to post their picture on Facebook or whatever social media site they used.
Why not punish the kids who use the phones when they do wrong? They can't use their phones during lunch time either?

It's a public place. Why the need to ask anyones permission? Legal to video at a police station. What's the big deal if a kids pic is taken? What if the student is 18? Does that change things in the schools eyes? I can see if it was used to harass students.

A pic of students at a football game isn't allowed? Or just during regular school hours?

It comes across as a 1 size fits all approach and punishes the ones who are responsible.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 08-07-2020 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 01:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

The students who posted this viral photo of their crowded hallway the first day back to school have been suspended and the principal has threatened to suspend any other students who post similar pics as well. Smells like an attempted coverup to me. Naturally, the Principal doesn't want bad publicity for his school as these hundreds of students, many probably carrying Coronavirus, spread the virus among their peers.

This cold-blooded attempt to keep the public in the dark about what's really happening in these potential Coronavirus deathtraps should be challenged by local authorities, unless they relish the idea of not taking action until half the student body is infected.

I predict the explosion of cases a month after all students are back in their 30-seat classrooms will hit the Trump campaign like a tidal wave and wash Trump's chances of reelection right into the ocean.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...toa-story.html

"Boss! Boss! The Plague! The Plaaaaaague!!!!!!"

Old 08-07-2020, 06:40 AM

23,983 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No "and" needed. It's exactly what I posted.

Why not punish the kids who use the phones when they do wrong? They can't use their phones during lunch time either?

It's a public place. Why the need to ask anyones permission? Legal to video at a police station. What's the big deal if a kids pic is taken? What if the student is 18? Does that change things in the schools eyes? I can see if it was used to harass students.

A pic of students at a football game isn't allowed? Or just during regular school hours?

It comes across as a 1 size fits all approach and punishes the ones who are responsible.
It is a public school, but it is not a public place.

The school building and the land it sits on are owned by the taxpayers of that district.

I learned that when I was protesting at a bond election. They threatened to have me arrested.

I reminded the principal and the school cops that they, the district, made it a public space when it was turned into a polling place. The district had voting on the bond election during all the open houses.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:07 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
More pretend safeguards and going through the motions. The masks.... do little if anything. Social distancing... should be 20 feet. if you're outside 6 feet is plenty but then masks really aren't necessary unless you're in a tight crowd.
But the facts are that these kids most likely have already had Covid 19 months ago and had no symptoms. And they are either resistant to it now or at extremely low risk of catching it again and if they do catch it the vast majority won't have any serious symptoms.
Going to school in early August? WTF. In my day, in more civilized times, we went back the day after Labor Day in September. But then we went to school until the 12th or of June or so.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

The students who posted this viral photo of their crowded hallway the first day back to school have been suspended and the principal has threatened to suspend any other students who post similar pics as well. Smells like an attempted coverup to me. Naturally, the Principal doesn't want bad publicity for his school as these hundreds of students, many probably carrying Coronavirus, spread the virus among their peers.

This cold-blooded attempt to keep the public in the dark about what's really happening in these potential Coronavirus deathtraps should be challenged by local authorities, unless they relish the idea of not taking action until half the student body is infected.

I predict the explosion of cases a month after all students are back in their 30-seat classrooms will hit the Trump campaign like a tidal wave and wash Trump's chances of reelection right into the ocean.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...toa-story.html
No student journalism will be allowed, in a PUBLIC school.
Branzburg v. Hayes - 1981, says much different.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:17 AM

994 posts, read 502,206 times
The student(s) engaged in "good trouble."

The images needed to be seen.

Thank God my county (adjacent to the one in question) is doing virtual.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Then why did we shut down at all? How many missed graduation and senior prom, etc. for what? If THIS is acceptable, then the shut down was unnecessary. You can’t have it both ways.
Not a fair assessment. We know a lot more now than we did then. We still have a LOT to learn but we are ahead of where we were then.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 AM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Quote:
Students are not allowed to use their cell phones during the school day because, among other things, it is a distraction, they can use them to cheat, and they get stolen. In other words, students just having cell phones out of their backpacks or lockers creates discipline issues that the school must then deal with - how is that related to school video cameras?
How do you know it was a cell phone? Could have been a camera or go pro image reposted making it legal using your logic.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The Principal may have the right to suspend the kids over posting the video, but it was aobut as dumb as a Principal can get.

This looks like the Principal wants to hide the reality. It just does.

Wasn't necessary. A well delivered message to the student body about how it is illegal and not acceptable to film without the approval of the administration -- -but then a consistently applied policy meaning you have to alse denounce when you like a video...you can't pick and choose.

The kids are being silenced, muffled.

Funny how a university cancels a speaker at their 'private' venue and folks scream about freedom of speech. Kids get suspended for filming the hallways and y'all are 'but it is a private building'........blah blah.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The Principal may have the right to suspend the kids over posting the video, but it was aobut as dumb as a Principal can get.

This looks like the Principal wants to hide the reality. It just does.

Wasn't necessary. A well delivered message to the student body about how it is illegal and not acceptable to film without the approval of the administration -- -but then a consistently applied policy meaning you have to alse denounce when you like a video...you can't pick and choose.

The kids are being silenced, muffled.

Funny how a university cancels a speaker at their 'private' venue and folks scream about freedom of speech. Kids get suspended for filming the hallways and y'all are 'but it is a private building'........blah blah.
This, right here. The principal is enforcing the no-phone rule not because of any disruption that it was causing, but because it makes his school's administration look bad. If I were the parent of the punished student, I'd be raising a stink. Not because my child was punished -- after all, if you break the rules, you have to expect to be punished -- but because of the larger issue that the school is not only doing absolutely nothing to slow the spread of COVID-19, but it is actively trying to hide the fact that it is not doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies