Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 02:42 PM

72,992 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Trump evangelicals have lost their way. There is nothing about the good news of Jesus Christ that is even remotely associated with Donald Trump. It is simply the gospel of Trumpism, wealth, and whiteness and personality. Look at Pat Robertson, Swaggert, Bakker, Falwell Sr. and, of course, Jerry Falwell Jr. to see how far they have come off the rails. These people are an embarrassment to Chritianity.
WWJD? Oppose Trump in every way possible.

Joel Osteen's house... Keep the money flowing in.
To be honest, I would look at the religious right, and how things have evolved. Some members of the "moral majority" weren't much better. In 1974, the IRS revoked the tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University. Why? Because Bob Jones University (a private evangelical university in Greenville,SC) discriminated against Blacks. Interracial dating was forbidden and it had denied Black applicants until 1971, and then from 1971-1975, only married Blacks were admitted. According to the IRS, private schools with racially discriminatory admissions policies were not entitled to tax exempt status. This is part of what got the ball rolling for the "moral majority".

Another factor was a 1978 court ruling that stripped tax-exempt status from private schools in the South that were all-White and had formed as segregation academics. This is what got Jerry Falwell Sr to be part of the "moral majority".

Falwell Sr used to have a show called "The Old Time Gospel Hour". He frequently had southern segregationists on his show. He said this about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr back in the day:
Quote:
"I do question the sincerity and nonviolent intentions of some civil rights leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mr. James Farmer, and others, who are known to have left-wing associations."
He also said this about the Brown vs Board of Education decision:

Quote:
If Chief Justice Warren and his associates had known God's word and had desired to do the Lord's will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision would never have been made. The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line.
He helped found the Lynchburg Christian Academy, which was really a segregation academy in Lynchburg,VA. It was in response to integration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Christian_Academy

Now, Falwell Sr did say many years later, in 2005 notably, he did change his views on civil rights. He did get better in the 2000s. However, his ties to segregationists, and the reason he got involved in the religious right, it's very suspect. He wasn't any better than Trump, just far less vulgar about it.

Jimmy Swaggart had his own issues, mainly a sex scandal back in the 1980s. He was defrocked as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 03:04 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It boils down to this. People who perceive themselves to be under threat are supporting Trump.
Except that Christianity is not under threat in America, very much the opposite.
Evangelical groups have had far more power and influence in our Government than any other religious group, yet they continue cry that they’re being persecuted. It’s a passive aggressive cycle.

Trump’s quote from the article is utter nonsense:
“I will tell you, Christianity is under tremendous siege, whether we want to talk about it or we don’t want to talk about it,”

Old 08-09-2020, 03:07 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
The bottom line is, evangelicals, while not going away, continue to become smaller with time. Their values represent the past, not the future. Yes, they maintain some power as a voting bloc but that power will continue to diminish as times goes by. The society that they cherish is a closed one. It will always offer appeal to people who fear change, who value tradition over equality; but that represents a minority. Progressives will continue to shape the future of the U.S. but, along with that change will come continued resistance, violence, and pain, all in the name of Christianity.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:09 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He's a Republican.

Evangelicals will NEVER vote Democrat.
That's true, for the most part.
But Catholics will - Pelosi is Catholic.
I gotta comment that most people around here that go to church are not evangelicals. Black people are evangelicals very often and most of them are life long Democrats.
It's real hard to make a blanket statement that covers everyone.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:12 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Except that Christianity is not under threat in America, very much the opposite.
Evangelical groups have had far more power and influence in our Government than any other religious group, yet they continue cry that they’re being persecuted. It’s a passive aggressive cycle.

“I will tell you, Christianity is under tremendous siege, whether we want to talk about it or we don’t want to talk about it,”
I actually agree with Trump. I remember years ago when it was unthinkable to ridicule Christians. Happens all the time now, especially the way it is casually done in movies.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:17 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Trump evangelicals have lost their way. There is nothing about the good news of Jesus Christ that is even remotely associated with Donald Trump. It is simply the gospel of Trumpism, wealth, and whiteness and personality. Look at Pat Robertson, Swaggert, Bakker, Falwell Sr. and, of course, Jerry Falwell Jr. to see how far they have come off the rails. These people are an embarrassment to Chritianity.
WWJD? Oppose Trump in every way possible.

Joel Osteen's house... Keep the money flowing in.
And then there's this guy:

Far-Right TV Host Rick Wiles: If Trump is Removed His Supporters Will ‘Hunt Down’ Democrats
If they take him out, there is going to be violence in America. There are people in this country, veterans, cowboys, mountain men, guys that know how to fight, and they’re going to make a decision that the people that did this to Donald Trump are not going to get away with it and they’re going to hunt them down,” Wiles said, before adding that he is deadly “serious.”
Wiles, a Florida pastor who is an ardent antisemite and conspiracy theorist, made the comments while speaking on his televised TruNews show, which is hosted on the End Times broadcasting network, during a segment about the ongoing impeachment inquiry against the president.
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/far-r...own-democrats/

Last edited by r small; 08-09-2020 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
abortion
same sex marriage
gender neutral restrooms
mask mandates against churches, but not against their own gatherings
continued hostility
support of Islam who seeks to harm Jews and Christians
anti- death penalty
bad interpretation of separation of church and state

---------------------------

Plenty of black evangelicals vote Democrat... so the premise of the OP is just wrong.
Plenty of Black people aren't big on gay marriage or gender neutral restrooms. Most Blacks vote Democrat anyway. You touched on something important, that I've been talking about. Race is a major factor. Most Black Christians do not support Trump.

While there are many Black Christians who do have views based on their religion, this isn't translating at the polls. It's mostly White Evangelicals who support Trump. Black Evangelicals aren't supporting Trump.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
I'd go one further than that. People who have more than enough, but think they deserve more than they have are Trump supporters. He's the spokesperson for their feelings of dissatisfaction with their miserable, jealous, holier than thou lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It boils down to this. People who perceive themselves to be under threat are supporting Trump.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post

I never said Christianity was under threat. I was talking about how people perceive things. I should have elaborated. I was hoping that the short statement would have evolved into talking about something else. I'll have to be blunt. Race is a big factor in this.

Quote from the NYT:

Quote:
“I do not love Trump. I think Trump is good for America as a country. I think Trump is going to restore our freedoms, where we spent eight years, if not more, with our freedoms slowly being taken away under the guise of giving freedoms to all,” she said. “Caucasian-Americans are becoming a minority. Rapidly.”

She explained what she meant. “If you are a hard-working Caucasian-American, your rights are being limited because you are seen as against all the races or against women,” she said. “Or there are people who think that because we have conservative values and we value the family and I value submitting to my husband, I must be against women’s rights.”

Old 08-09-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I actually agree with Trump. I remember years ago when it was unthinkable to ridicule Christians. Happens all the time now, especially the way it is casually done in movies.
I read the article. It goes beyond just being Christian. I don't see Black Christians supporting Trump in any large amount. The results of the last election reflect this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies