Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 12:48 PM

10,492 posts, read 4,057,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Went to my local Dunkin Donuts and they encourged me to pay with exact change or with electronic money due to a supposed "coin shortage".... being blamed on Covid 19 of course.

Does any thinking person believe that there really is a coin shortage, in other words the amount of coinage in circulation is any less today than it was at the beginning of the year? If there is a coin shortage it can only be because the banks are hoarding the coins, because they are trying to push everyone to not use coins.

Where am I wrong?
No, I don't think there is a coin shortage, but I do think that the super rich are beginning to hoard precious metals, which coins are still made of, in anticipation of a depression or war about to break out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 12:51 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
God, does everything have to be a conspiracy theory to you people?
You got that right. We need a shortage of conspiracy theories, we've all had our fill.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:53 PM

10,492 posts, read 4,057,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You got that right. We need a shortage of conspiracy theories, we've all had our fill.
Yeah, like systemic racism and cops are purposely hunting and killing Black people. That in itself is some ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:54 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Any poor sap who has the fortune to drive the the Chipotle, that disgusting excuse for Mexican Food, and get some food, and who doesn't just add the change left over and a Washington or two for the Cashier's tip should just stay home in the first place or work a little harder at work and show some ambition for a "change."

Cheapskates make me vomit.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:57 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,526,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Went to my local Dunkin Donuts and they encourged me to pay with exact change or with electronic money due to a supposed "coin shortage".... being blamed on Covid 19 of course.

Does any thinking person believe that there really is a coin shortage, in other words the amount of coinage in circulation is any less today than it was at the beginning of the year? If there is a coin shortage it can only be because the banks are hoarding the coins, because they are trying to push everyone to not use coins.

Where am I wrong?
I'm sorta with you.

Those who pay electronically or online are a non-contributing factor here.

If those who normally pay with cash are no longer out and about, then they wouldn't be getting change from stores. Nor would they be paying with change so they cancel themselves out.

The only thing I can think of is everyone that used to get change from stores (that only pay with bills) and have rolls of change at home have stopped going to banks to deposit them. I can't imagine that that number is high enough to make a difference.

Something is not adding up.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
2 flaws with his theory.

1. banks around me never shut down (yes specific to my location, but we are experiencing a "coin shortage")
2. if laundromats have shut down, then they aren't taking in coins from the public - unless they're sitting on piles of coins and haven't deposited them - and therefore are not contributing to the problem.

if there is a destruction/production process that was disrupted, then that could explain it.
why weren't bills affected?

Last edited by blahblahyoutoo; 08-16-2020 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-16-2020, 01:04 PM

12,393 posts, read 2,976,868 times
Either intentionally or not people aren,t circulating as many coins. Wouldn't be surprising if paranoics are hoarding and causing the problem they fear.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:08 PM

12,393 posts, read 2,976,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
No, I don't think there is a coin shortage, but I do think that the super rich are beginning to hoard precious metals, which coins are still made of, in anticipation of a depression or war about to break out.
American circulating coins haven't been made with truly precious metals in over 50 years.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:24 PM

15,867 posts, read 6,565,059 times
Why would they make this up?

Old 08-16-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
God, does everything have to be a conspiracy theory to you people?
Just do A LITTLE research and you will see that internet shopping is through the roof. So that means that people are not paying in cash. That means that coins are sitting in cars, cans on dressers, and junk drawers.
That's where all mine are.
how much more coinage have you accumulated since the pandemic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies