Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I really don't understand how a thnking Christian can support abortion. It's one thing that seems extremely cut and dried to me. Don't kill.
Is killing people over non existent weapons of mass destruction in a foreign land okay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
So what? You support a political party that supports the killing of children. You remind me of the Pharisee from Luke 18.
What about children in Iraq or in the Palestinian Authority? Do they count?
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Humanists dressed up in clerical collars, or hijabs or saffron robes are not faith leaders, they are humanist. Antithetical to faith.
Humanist here!! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The lefties on POC are relentless in their mockery of those who believe in a "sky daddy." Are they cool with the DNC believing in a "sky daddy," too?
Nope. Not cool with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
So no booing of God this time?
Boooooooooooo!!

Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Man or woman, mankind. I applaud her, she's not a hypocrite, like most Evangelical Christians are! Jerry Falwell Jr., send help.
fyi, the notion that this woman is not a hypocrite is based solely on the idea that she is speaking at the democrat convention.

democrats have clearly linked morality to support of THEIR political views. ok. im good with that but lets be clear what those are.

killing babies, rioting, destroying black neighborhoods, murder... all while taking the moral high ground of "get rid of the police while we kill people and break things"

that's your moral perspective.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
democrats have clearly linked morality to support of THEIR political views. ok. im good with that but lets be clear what those are.
Dems enjoyed evangelical support before GOP turned abortion into a political weapon. What views did they support? They promoted, and still do many things which are in line with teachings of Christ.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Both sides can claim they promote Christian values and that the other side is hypocritical, but such argument in itself is in violation of what the bible teaches.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:25 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Dems enjoyed evangelical support before GOP turned abortion into a political weapon. What views did they support? They promoted, and still do many things which are in line with teachings of Christ.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Both sides can claim they promote Christian values and that the other side is hypocritical, but such argument in itself is in violation of what the bible teaches.
Dems enjoyed evangelical support when dems still had evangelical members.... and pro-life democrats.

YOU.... directly related to the individual.

NOT

Hey that guy is hungry lets go take bread off the table of that other guy we think has too much bread and give it to the hungry guy.

big difference.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Yep. Both parties need to knock it the hell off. It’s getting beyond tired.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:30 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:

I haven't seen any right-winger oppose voluntary charitable donations to help those in need. What I have seen them oppose is having Big Government administer any such aid programs, thereby creating Federal jobs programs that operate inefficiently, skim way too much off the top, and thereby reduce the amount of actual aid that can go to the needy. In other words, they object to the mostly Democrat poverty pimps.

The Poverty Pimps' Poem - Thomas Sowell, PhD

Old 08-17-2020, 10:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Dems enjoyed evangelical support when dems still had evangelical members.... and pro-life democrats. YOU.... directly related to the individual.
They still do. At least our church does, and everyone gets along.

Yes, faith is a personal relationship with God, but the poor and the sick can helped either directly or via group effort. The end result matters, and what is in your heart.

As a matter of fact if I start hearing divisive / dishonest partisan lines like the ones you offer, I'd be looking for a new church. Your priority seems tearing people down by misrepresenting their views, and its probably a good time to take a hard look in the mirror if you are a person of faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I haven't seen any right-winger oppose voluntary charitable donations to help those in need.
I wish we could finance healthcare and and take care of the poor + pay for military by charitable donations, but everyone knows how unrealistic that is.

Even in ancient Israel taxes were collected, and tax-collectors were despised, but how else do you think they would build walls around Jerusalem and keep enemies at bay? There was a temple-tax to pay for the religious folk and the temples etc, and there were all kinds of other taxes to pay for other things. I know you don't want to pay, you just want to take, but its pretty much how all societies work.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-17-2020 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-17-2020, 10:50 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
First, your “true man of God” is a woman. No problem there, but maybe you should read things before you throw them up.

Second, I don’t know how anyone could call themselves a Christian and support the Democratic Party, who support and fight for abortion, let alone deliver a benediction for their convention.

Finally, it’s hilarious that she criticized Trump for holding up a Bible, while she herself obviously doesn’t respect what it is or what it stands for.
What makes you so sure that she does not respect the Bible?

Old 08-17-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
They still do. At least our church does, and everyone gets along.

Yes, faith is a personal relationship with God, but the poor and the sick can helped either directly or via group effort. The end result matters, and what is in your heart.

As a matter of fact if I start hearing divisive / dishonest partisan lines like the ones you offer, I'd be looking for a new church. Your priority seems tearing people down by misrepresenting their views, and its probably a good time to take a hard look in the mirror if you are a person of faith.

I wish we could finance healthcare and and take care of the poor + pay for military by charitable donations, but everyone knows how unrealistic that is.

Even in ancient Israel taxes were collected, and tax-collectors were despised, but how else do you think they would build walls around Jerusalem and keep enemies at bay? There was a temple-tax to pay for the religious folk and the temples etc, and there were all kinds of other taxes to pay for other things. I know you don't want to pay, you just want to take, but its pretty much how all societies work.
The charity and philanthropy thing that Conservatives love to push so hard is a total canard anyway. Yes, it has its place, but the idea that charity and philanthropy can take over government functions is laughable.

And finally, quite a few billionaires are calling this nonsense out at places like the big meet at Davos. They know that the real problem is lack of proper tax collection.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:55 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Trump was pro-abortion when he was a Democrat, but when he decided to run for President he needed the evangelical vote (easiest people in the world to manipulate/use) he went anti-abortion.

Trump can walk down both sides of a street at the same time.

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are the sort of justices I want on the court.

I care less who puts them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies