Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I don't know -my sis is the real estate tycoon of the family and my son wants to buy, and she said - I'd wait a bit, the Repos are coming. She has been in BZ 20 plus yrs. My thoughts- are the Chinese and COPRs like "Invitation/American Homes" still buying by the block??
Again, real estate is local.

The rate of mortgages in serious delinquency is variable across states, within state and zip codes.

Some buyers who are ready, willing and able are attempting to balance record low interest rates vs the perception for the potential for massive foreclosures once moratoriums are lifted.

Generally speaking, foreclosures have negligible impact on local markets , unless foreclosures become the market as they did in some markets, post the pop of the bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 09:19 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,653,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
By the start of 2009 housing prices had dropped by over 50% from their peak in 2006, so the crash you refer to had already been underway for many many months.
That's the thing the effects/consequences take a while to catch up but they WILL catch up. And real estate is local but frequently simply lags national trends on the way up and DOWN.

The virus amplified existing issues and did not necessarily create them like people leaving big cities in many states. Here bordering one 6 months prior we are/were seeing boom prices because many cities over tax and have quality of life issues.. The virus here kept that trend going but there were already issues including many flipped houses were being sold to groups or co buyers. Don't need an individual or single family to buy a home but when they cannot afford a house on their own that's an issue and will eventually affect the market. The Manhattan market in NY is a perfect example of an over priced market with people fleeing. If a market is just one event away from a collapse that tells me it is/was a fragile market to begin with.

The economy will be propped until after the election. After by early 2021 expect to see interest rate, foreclosure and eviction increases which will in turn affect the rest of the economy. Sooner or later a flood of houses will drop the prices, perhaps not as catastrophic as 08-09 but they will drop. Hospitality/service is a huge part of the economy. Maybe they can't buy but they can rent. If home or apartment owner can't rent then they start failing. Throw in the tax increases that will be necessary to pay for all this. The only good news is that prices will drop and many will be able to afford to buy that couldn't in the past and groom a generation for home ownership and future house sales and all that comes with it including the appliance market which in turn could incentivize or require more domestic production and jobs.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
There are sectors that will see some spikes as we get back to normal. But as long as unemployment is double digits, it will be hard to say the economy is back doing great.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:25 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,653,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There are sectors that will see some spikes as we get back to normal. But as long as unemployment is double digits, it will be hard to say the economy is back doing great.
The stimulus packages simply delayed the inevitable. The consequences have to paid one way or another.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:23 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I don't know -my sis is the real estate tycoon of the family and my son wants to buy, and she said - I'd wait a bit, the Repos are coming. She has been in BZ 20 plus yrs. My thoughts- are the Chinese and COPRs like "Invitation/American Homes" still buying by the block??
I agree with her. That was my point. Home sales are huge right now with inflated prices. It all will come tumbling down soon. Then foreclosures will spike. We saw this same thing happen back in 08-09.

I'be been increasing my rent rates due to higher and higher demand. When the housing market crashes, my rent rates will be great... for me.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
It will be interesting to see what happens after the spikes.

And just so you all are aware-- other economies around the world are seeing similar spikes. It isn't unique to USA.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:15 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
This dynamic of less inventory, fueling home prices rising, is going to continue.

People are like, wel-well-well, then the delinquencies start hitting, then the forbearances
end...............sorry, Fedgov can and will keep papering-over and legislating to keep home-prices from tanking.

A minor correction in skyrocketing home prices, that is about it, no crash.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:19 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Again, real estate is local.

The rate of mortgages in serious delinquency is variable across states, within state and zip codes.

Some buyers who are ready, willing and able are attempting to balance record low interest rates vs the perception for the potential for massive foreclosures once moratoriums are lifted.

Generally speaking, foreclosures have negligible impact on local markets , unless foreclosures become the market as they did in some markets, post the pop of the bubble.
Agreed

"In New York City, we’ve seen property sales drop by as much as 54%. Many of those who could, fled the city months ago, and there’s no longer an influx of new residents. Vacancies are up. Rentals are down."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies