Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 12:44 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times

Advertisements

I don't know what acceptable means, but if it means we need to shut down our country so less than 170,000 dies (whatever the number), then hell yes it's acceptable, we need to keep our country and economy open, and we need to open up more and let people live their lives.

This virus sprung from nature. There was maybe a small window to identify it and shut down everything, probably back in December, and kill this thing. We passed that, now the virus is everywhere. There are studies showing animals in federal parks have it.

While a vaccine can still come out that puts an end to it, I'm not holding my breath for one. Instead, it's our new reality. We will all catch it. 99% of us will be fine in the end. Less than 1% of us will die. That less than 1% could be me. Who knows. But regardless, I'm not changing anything anymore for this virus.

Once the virus spreads through our population, it will kill who it will kill. Subsequent years, it won't be any different than catching the flu, or the cold. And instead of 4 coronaviruses causing the common cold, we will have 5.

Countries that so far have managed, through draconian shut downs and quarantines, to eliminate the virus in their borders, have won the battle but not the war. Their population remains vulnerable. And the governments will have to constantly shutdown to control the spread of the virus. How can New Zealand ever open its borders to the rest of the world without mandatory quarantines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 PM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Exactly.

It's as if some people have developed blinders......

They can't see anything but Covid

They refuse to acknowledge that there are serious, negative consequences to the shut downs.
Other conditions and diseases that people can't get to a Doctor for haven't just put themselves on hold.
They're going undiagnosed and untreated.

There are worse things than Covid-19.
Right. I know of three people who died because of lack of medical treatment due to the shutdown. Two were my neighbors and one was my step-sister.

Last edited by yspobo; 08-24-2020 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-24-2020, 04:47 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
How many Benghazi’s is this equivalent to?

Old 08-24-2020, 04:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
The question was out of line period!!

Old 08-24-2020, 05:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
This thread is an example of the left's scare tactics. The sky is falling because Trump.

Only the Dems have the answers. Odd butNYC is a mega Democratic Stronghold and they utterly tanked their response to the Covid. This is a city that is supposed to be our crown jewel in diversity, in blue policies. How did our greatest city get completely out performed by many developing nations and cities? Just compare New York City to Bangkok. Similar populations.

Well for one thing other nations don't call it a Covid death unless it really was a covid death. Blame Trump all you want, but those Blue Cities were going to do it their way no matter what.

I live in a developing nation. What we didn't have here was a panic. They didn't freak out and call everything a covid death. They did make jokes about the USA. If your family needs money and you have life insurance, just go to the USA and walk in front of a bus. It will be called a Covid death and your insurance will pay out.

Americans really do need to look at news from other countries and see what is being said. Right now they are laughing because Americans are arguing over who is Better Biden or Trump. One News stationed likened a vote for Biden to putting the flat tire back on the car. They don't like Trump either. That is what has them laughing at Americans.

The Aussie ex-pats are laughing. They say they just fire all their reps and start over. There is merit to that.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:45 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This country has a proud tradition of the federal government taking the lead when faced with national disasters, stepping in to help the states and providing a coordinated response.

Trump broke that tradition, he passed the buck, then he undermined the scientists, his chaos and confusion hurt the state efforts. Trump's virus response was a total and utter failure of leadership.
Trump has taken the lead and been given the cold-shoulder by DemocRAT politicians. Shame on you for trying to mischaracterize, i.e. LIE, about what happened.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Considering how the USA counts a Covid death? It might actually be half that.

I mean in the hospital stage 4 cancer and you die, but by coincidence tested positive for Covid? Died of covid.

Not tested but you have some symptoms of covid? Died of Covid.

That is some seriously shoddy accounting methods.

Right winger/trumper: When faced with facts, just make up your own, and create your own reality.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's not about the deaths so much any more. It's about the lingering after effects that don't go away even after you test negative after testing positive as this young guy will tell you:

https://www.ocolly.com/news/my-exper...c393744ed.html
Get real.

The deaths are what matters, and as a percentage, they are going down significantly.

So now you appear to be moving the goalposts.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
How many Benghazi’s is this equivalent to?
42 500 Benhgazi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Get real.

The deaths are what matters, and as a percentage, they are going down significantly.

So now you appear to be moving the goalposts.
The measures are working. Even in Florida we keep hitting low numbers in new infections, and deaths are beginning to decline too, although the 7-Day average is still about 130 per day. Even the Republican led Miami might allow people back inside restaurants again.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:07 AM

303 posts, read 128,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
What an unintelligent thread.
I have noticed that most of the threads on this forum are pretty unintelligent, regardless of whether the posters are mostly supporters or opponents of Trump. I think that's what makes it so entertaining. The covid and BLM threads in particular really leave one's mouth agape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies